Baskin

Started by jenkins, October 21, 2015, 01:56:18 PM

jenkins

A squad of Turkish policemen become entrapped in the basement of a cult of Devil-worshipping amputees. DIR Can Evrenol. SCR Can Evrenol, Cem Ozuduru, Ogulcan Eren Akay, Ercin Sadikoglu.

jenkins

this is well made, and for me crystallizes Turkey within the global fabric of current movie culture. (the other being Mustang, The Virgin Suicides in Turkey which won five Césars.)

Turkey is far away from France. Turkey is Eurasian. why Baskin feels like New French Extremity i'm not sure.

the specific quality of New French Extremity on my mind is cinematic cognizance of space and time. an awareness of camera and runtime. i think Inside is a good example of this. this is an artistic (and business) method toward aligning the microcosmic with the universal. this feels thought about, and its nature echoes narrative intentions.

in Baskin someone sticks a key in someone's forehead, for example. that's a thing that's gonna happen, and i like the when a movie initiates itself into prospects of narrative mayhem and misadventure.

some of the main forms of current global chillness are in Baskin. there are cops who use the word dude. to sidestory dude right quick, that's a translation i'm reading, but the translator is making the point the cop is being socially casual. there are musical transitions which incorporate electronic music with colors and emotional frequency, for example Hanging Out and Events Culmination. on top of the already-mentioned seriousness about making a good horror movie. this is how this would be made. i think that's all great.

at least falls into the horror genre under "solid movie"