Embrace Of The Serpent (El Abrazo De La Serpiente)

Started by jenkins, October 21, 2015, 01:49:53 PM

jenkins

This hypnotic epic follows the journey of a shaman and a German explorer in the Colombian Amazon. DIR Ciro Guerra. SCR Ciro Guerra, Jacques Toulemonde Vidal.

idk the release date

jenkins

IN THEATERS FEBRUARY 17, 2016
http://embraceoftheserpent.vhx.tv

QuoteAt once blistering and poetic, the ravages of colonialism cast a dark shadow over the South American landscape in EMBRACE OF THE SERPENT, the third feature by Ciro Guerra. Filmed in stunning black-and-white, SERPENT centers on Karamakate, an Amazonian shaman and the last survivor of his people, and the two scientists who, over the course of 40 years, build a friendship with him. The film was inspired by the real-life journals of two explorers (Theodor Koch-Grünberg and Richard Evan Schultes) who traveled through the Colombian Amazon during the last century in search of the sacred and difficult-to-find psychedelic Yakruna plant.

the director's previous festival hit, The Wind Journeys, was released by Film Movement. i saw it for the accordion like everyone else and it's maybe the best movie about an accordion possible.

this is being distributed by Oscilloscope Films.

their distributions i've seen:

Rare Exports
Beautiful Losers
Scott Walker 30 Century Man
Terribly Happy
Treeless Mountain
Frontrunners
Tell Them Anything You Want: A Portrait of Maurice Sendak
Wendy and Lucy
Dear Zachary
Dark Days
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Bellflower
Meek's Cutoff
Tchoupitoulas
Only the Young
Wuthering Heights
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Reality
Buzzard
River of Grass

i think those are good movies and that's like 10% of their releases. here's a link to a list of their releases:
http://oscilloscope.net/films/

wilder had mentioned Teenage before and that's an obvious movie i should see. there's apparently a doc about supermarkets, sounds essential, along with titles like These Birds Walk, Kisses, You Hurt My Feelings, Don't Expect Too Much, and Hello I Must Be Going. i think it's my bad that i haven't seen Mother of George or Samsara.

jenkins

i want to say things about the movie but i keep getting stuck wanting to talk about its theme.

so, as global culture forms, how will aspects of regionalism be retained? how is everyone going to get along while remaining different from each other?

i think this movie illustrates that situation in a wonderful way, from the bottom to the top and other places too.