Hail, Caesar!

Started by Punch, October 09, 2015, 12:28:03 PM

Punch

Four-time Oscar®-winning filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen (No Country for Old Men, True Grit, Fargo) write and direct Hail, Caesar!, an all-star comedy set during the latter years of Hollywood's Golden Age. Starring Josh Brolin, George Clooney, Alden Ehrenreich, Ralph Fiennes, Jonah Hill, Scarlett Johansson, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton and Channing Tatum, Hail, Caesar! follows a single day in the life of a studio fixer who is presented with plenty of problems to fix.
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

wilder

Release Date - February 5, 2016

Drenk

Amazing trailer which is, actually, a teaser. Fantastic.
Ascension.

©brad

Seconded. That was so good.

they play that before the big short, if you want to see its awesomeness in that format

also: am i dumb for instantly being reminded of the family guy bit with the hard on 'wh' on cool whip?

jenkins

i'll see this because of course i will. proposing this hypothesis --

Barton Fink:Inside Llewyn Davis
Hudsucker Proxy:Hail, Ceasar!

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins<3 on February 03, 2016, 02:54:54 PM
i'll see this because of course i will. proposing this hypothesis --

Barton Fink:Inside Llewyn Davis
Hudsucker Proxy:Hail, Ceasar!

Accurate.
My house, my rules, my coffee

this was really fantastic.
it was a lot more experimental than i expected.
the movie just kind of floats around. it's never 100% clear what anything has to do with each other besides taking place on the same location, an almost altman vibe. but everything works perfectly. this beautiful universe is created, all the characters seem to exist mostly in their films, and their real life is just this secondary thing that matters very little.

their classic dark noir vibe is very deeply felt but the film is incredibly uplifting and positive.

i was almost surprised at how clean the film was while still having quite an edge and a sense of dirtiness.
the 'hobie' character is fucking priceless.
the whole shtick of him doing his lines including the reveal was tremendous.
my theatre had seven people in it, and we were laughing pretty much the whole time.
the surrealism, the layers of film within film within film, the mind blowing diversity and performance of the cast.
this one is definitely a winner.
and jenkins, yes.
it is totally hudsucker as inside llewyn davis is barton fink.

edit: super mild spoilers

in reference to my comment on how clean the film was,  was i the only one waiting for clooney to get hurt at some point? the fact his kidnappers are never a genuine threat to him (my main reaction was:they don't even tie him up?!) was weird at the time, but now that i'm thinking about it, pretty geniusly quirky.

polkablues

http://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpetersen/how-the-coens-tricked-you#.eoyr2VB2k

A surprisingly in-depth and well-reasoned article from Buzzfeed about Hail, Caesar's hidden depth.
My house, my rules, my coffee

samsong

a great, illuminating read.  thanks polka.

loved the movie and it's surprisingly sober portrayal of moviemaking.  Truffaut demanded that a film express either the joy or agony of making cinema.  this is certainly the coens wallowing, however gleefully, and it's funny as shit.  found it a bit fleeting after all was said and done but that article helps to bring things into focus, particularly the ending.  to me there's as much A Serious Man in this as there is The Hudsucker Proxy, but it's its own thing.  I've thoroughly enjoyed how facetiously existential their recent output has been and this is the most defiantly silly.

I would like to see this again very soon.

Alden ehrenreich (what a dumb name!!!!!!!!!!!) steals the show and looks like the perfect cross between James dean and Montgomery Clift.  glad to see him doing more work.  loved him in the Coppola movies he was in.

wilder