Mountains May Depart

Started by Punch, September 13, 2015, 10:06:40 AM

Punch

China, 1999. Childhood friends Liangzi and Zhang are both in love with Tao, the town beauty. Tao eventually decides to marry the wealthier Zhang. They soon have a son he names Dollar...
From China to Australia, the lives, loves, hopes and disillusions of a family over two generations in a society changing at breakneck speed.
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

jenkins

lol ok i'm already the only upvote for this trailer too. you guys are good. this is probably my most anticipated movie right now, based on me saying that right now

jenkins

the synopsis needs to include "China, 2024." this movie shows the future!

it's such a long and elaborate story, with twists and turns, it could have been made as a lovely melodrama. it has all the necessary components of a melodrama, except its emotions hover nearer its characters than its narrative.

i've noticed this year artcinema is working on crafting the technique of Michael Bay's use of parallax, off-screen space, compression and speed, which description i just copy and pasted from the video that was made to describe Bayhem. i love this, of course. so, imagine if such a shot was used not when the asteroid was discovered, but when a character is having a private emotional moment that can be best expressed through this cinematic grammar. imagine if the catastrophe taking place wasn't in the story but in the soul. you know. this is kind of a side story and illustrates how festivals always make me realize and consider facets of cinematic grammar.

but the point is i referenced Bay while describing this movie, since to me Jia Zhangke knows the Bayhem of emotions.