The Visit

Started by wilder, September 03, 2015, 12:07:45 AM

wilder

A single mother finds that things in her family's life go very wrong after her two young children visit their grandparents.

Written and Directed by M. Night Shyamalan
Release Date - September 10, 2015

Jeremy Blackman

I look forward to hearing The Flop House and HDTGM tackle this one. It will be irresistible.

Although, one person who claims to have seen an advance screening says it's intentionally humorous. The oven scene may corroborate that.

Looks like M. Night made a list of "things grandparents do that could be made creepy" and is ticking them off here. The "I'm gonna get you" bit could be fun, and I saw a cheek pinch. What else do grandparents do?

Axolotl

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 03, 2015, 12:27:59 AM
Looks like M. Night made a list of "things grandparents do that could be made creepy" and is ticking them off here. The "I'm gonna get you" bit could be fun, and I saw a cheek pinch. What else do grandparents do?
Die.

RegularKarate

I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion after this.
This movie worked for me. Really fun movie. The kids start out a little annoying, but they grew on me and it's just scary enough to stay a horror movie.
I think what does it is that Shyamalan shed most of his pretention for this one. The found-footage aspect is obviously dumb, but it's pretty loose and doesn't get in the way too much, but everything else stays pretty simple and straight-forward. There's even seemingly intentional inside jokes that kind of poke at his earlier work. It would be great if this meant a decent filmmaker started making fun films.

Alexandro

Yes, this was a pleasant surprise.
A friend of mine kept going on and on about how this was way better than he expected and he's right. The film is tense, creepy and hilarious sometimes all at once. As a horror exercise is way more interesting and effective than whatever it's being compared to (paranormal yawnctivity) and certainly more surprising and all around disturbing and horror inducing than some of the "serious" and "refreshing" novelties of the last years like It Follows and Cabin in the Woods with they meta bullshit and stiff atmosphere. It's Shyamalan's best film since Unbreakable.

Jeremy Blackman

This is an extraordinary film. Not even kidding. Delightful, bonkers, and deeply, thoroughly weird.

The genre confusion just seems to enhance every element that's in opposition. I have no idea how it can be so creepy and funny at the same time. That is some high-level craft. Easily one of M. Night's very best movies.

It's less gimmicky and more substantive than the trailer suggests. Mostly because the brother and sister were great. (Which is good, because if you're not on board with them, the movie won't work for you at all.) It's a sweet and realistic sibling relationship that quickly becomes the heart of the story. And strangely, they out-acted the mom by a significant margin.

I think the closest thing I've seen to this, in tone, is Escape From Tomorrow.