Junun

Started by modage, August 21, 2015, 11:24:14 AM

modage

Junun
Paul Thomas Anderson, USA, 2015, English and Indian, DCP, 54m
English, Hindu, Hebrew, and Urdu with English subtitles

Earlier this year, Paul Thomas Anderson joined his close friend and collaborator Jonny Greenwood on a trip to Rajasthan in northwest India, where they were hosted by the Maharaja of Jodhpur, and he brought his camera with him. Their destination was the 15th-century Mehrangarh Fort, where Greenwood (with the help of Radiohead engineer Nigel Godrich) was recording an album with Israeli composer Shye Ben Tzur and an amazing group of musicians: Aamir Bhiyani, Soheb Bhiyani, Ajaj Damami, Sabir Damami, Hazmat, and Bhanwaru Khan on brass; Ehtisham Khan Ajmeri, Nihal Khan, Nathu Lal Solanki, Narsi Lal Solanki, and Chugge Khan on percussion; Zaki Ali Qawwal, Zakir Ali Qawwal, Afshana Khan, Razia Sultan, Gufran Ali, and Shazib Ali on vocals; and Dara Khan and Asin Khan on strings. The finished film, just under an hour, is pure magic. Junun lives and breathes music, music-making, and the close camaraderie of artistic collaboration. It's a lovely impressionistic mosaic and a one-of-a-kind sonic experience: the music will blow your mind. World Premiere

So this is the result of those India 'grams.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fuzzy Dunlop

How COOL is this? It's like your favorite band dropping a surprise album. I always figured PTA had a vault of cool shit he'd shot that would never see the light of day, and the India trip was in that category. So hyped on this right now. The fact that he was also camera operating makes this even more of an event.

Cloudy

Absolutely^^   Feelin the same joy over here

Ps, googled the meaning of Junun - found: madness, insanity, obsession, passion

modage

Got tix for this. October 8th at 9pm. Believe they're still onsale.

World Premiere ยท Paul Thomas Anderson in person!
http://www.filmlinc.org/nyff2015/films/junun/

Wonder what kind of distribution they'll get for this afterwards. Will they attempt any kind of theatrical release for an hourlong doc? My totally uneducated guess is that it will premiere on Pitchfork or Vice or somewhere.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Lottery

modage

Quote from: modage on September 15, 2015, 07:33:47 AM
Wonder what kind of distribution they'll get for this afterwards. Will they attempt any kind of theatrical release for an hourlong doc? My totally uneducated guess is that it will premiere on Pitchfork or Vice or somewhere.

I was close!

N

PTA is doing things! Very excited. Didn't think anything new would be happening for a while.

modage

modage

I saw it! For a filmmakers as meticulous and controlled as PTA, it's cool to see something that feels a little more laid back and yet still with moments of genius. The music is great and it's all music. There are maybe a dozen or so moments of dialogue scattered throughout and a few title cards up front to set the scene. At 54 minutes it's definitely more of a curio than one to put on the shelf with his features but at its best moments shines a light towards the other kinds of careers he could have (and still might). The biggest bummer is that I have to imagine something will be lost in the translation for everyone watching this at home on their computer as opposed to seeing it in a giant 1,000 person theatre with BOOMING sound. But mostly it's just cool to see him making stuff. Within 12 months of Inherent Vice, who would've thought we'd have a documentary and a pair of music videos?

A few funny notes from the screening: PTA strolls in with Bennett Miller a few min before showtime, doesn't intro his own film but shows up for a quick as hell Q&A after the film. Chairs are brought out during the credits, and as soon as the lights come up PTA and Kent Jones are already out there. The 1,000 PTA-heads in the audience give him a fucking standing ovation (haha) and they get right to their chat which is about 8 minutes long, no bullshit and NO audience Q&A. He is fucking outta there. Also spotted in the audience: Rami Malek, Paul Dano and Alex Ross Perry.

modage

Watch the film now:
https://mubi.com/films/junun

Trailer:

"Roked" from the film:

Soundtrack releases November 13th (though floating around now as they gave it away after the press screening).
Junun is streaming for 30 days on Mubi, starting today.

RegularKarate

"My harmonium needs tuning"
nice.

I got the trial Mubi subscription and will watch it this weekend. Looks like there's some pretty decent stuff on there as well, I kind of like that there aren't a bajillion movies to wade through.

wilder

modage

Quote from: wilder on October 09, 2015, 02:13:36 PM
Q&A audio here

Ha, my wife taped this. Thought they were gonna transcribe some quotes, not put it up. Funny.

JG

Quote from: modage on October 08, 2015, 11:11:26 PM
Also spotted in the audience: Rami Malek, Paul Dano and Alex Ross Perry.

lol you could do this for all the nyff screenings! my favorite was watching wes anderson, noah b, and depalma watch the new desplechin together, but apparently they see all the movies as a squad...