Louder Than Bombs

Started by wilder, August 10, 2015, 12:49:27 PM

wilder

An upcoming exhibition celebrating photographer Isabelle Reed three years after her untimely death, brings her eldest son Jonah back to the family house – forcing him to spend more time with his father Gene and withdrawn younger brother Conrad than he has in years. With the three of them under the same roof, Gene tries desperately to connect with his two sons, but they struggle to reconcile their feelings about the woman they remember so differently.

Directed by Joachim Trier
Written by Joachim Trier and Eskil Vogt
Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Isabelle Huppert, Gabriel Byrne and Amy Ryan
Release Date - April 8, 2016

jenkins

who the fuck goes to see a movie about a death by a car accident to discover its dramatic angles?

i oppose artists inflating their drama as means of inflating their purpose, e.g. i oppose biopics, period pictures, and this shit. you're doing a great job at making shit up and there was definitely an outline for this script, but people who experience tragedies don't have their lives assembled by an outline. or at least that'd be the devil's outline or whatever.

and, what, i watched the trailer, what do i know? nothing, i don't know nothing, but i got a damn good guess that this movie will feel like overserious bullshit to me.

wilder

Opens April 8, 2016

US trailer

wilder

wilder

This is the clip that got me jazzed on this

wilder

There's a lot to like about this movie. The premise isn't really followed through upon effectively, but I think that's a good thing, because if it were the story could have sunk through potentially heavy-handed contrivance. Instead we get several individual stories, basically pieces of short stories mashed together, their threads tangentially connected by the death of the mother. I think the movie thinks these pieces are more meaningfully connected by the mother's death than they actually are, but it doesn't really matter because there are plenty of good, human moments between characters regardless if the overarching plot actually relates them.

After a couple days of this settling in my mind I'm struck by how Norwegian this film is, in terms of the perspective on the family. It's set in NY but the approach to family dynamics seems very Scandinavian to me, despite the setting. I'd be curious to hear Just Withnail or KJ's thoughts on it.