The Revenant

Started by Lottery, July 17, 2015, 07:19:59 PM

Garam

Behind you on dis JB. This film is just a straightforward genre flick, an obscenely well crafted one, its beauty is in its simplicity. Both epic and stripped down. I believe that any western has to be at least 2 1/2 hours long to make an effect, so the length isn't an issue for me. That's part of why westerns appeal to me - they allow you to enter a slowed down pace of life for 3 or so hours. I love it when they just film water trickling for a few seconds or so. It's all part of the texture, and it's all appreciated.

Any shouts of 'pretention' seem like settling scores cause you don't like some of Innaritu or Lubezki's past work and you're settling scores. This one is aiming for the populist viewer. Not much meat to its bones in terms of deep ideas, but i'll leave that to other films. Sometimes I just want a really competently made revenge film. This is it. One of the best even.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 19, 2016, 04:43:18 PM
(maybe to be funny, which is fair)...

Your reaction is so foreign to my experience. It didn't trigger an ounce of hostility.

Yeah, I was mostly exaggerating for humor.
I get liking this movie,I just had the opposite reaction. All the "moments" (catching snowflakes, seeing buffalo, etc...) felt pretty superficial and didn't work for me.

Quote from: Garam on January 19, 2016, 06:52:55 PM
Any shouts of 'pretention' seem like settling scores

Naw. I didn't hate it.
I even thought I was gonna really enjoy it during the first 20 minutes. The following two plus hours felt like the movie begging me to love it. It reminds me of Tom Hooper and his excessive use of close-ups without ever earning them or possibly even knowing what they're for. Both filmmakers continue to be praised and while I don't HATE either one, I feel like I can see the effort and it's a turn-off for me.

Garam

I need to stop writing posts drunk, i used the phrase 'settling scores' twice in a short sentence up there fer cryin out loud...

pete

I'm over this movie.
I feel like America will be too, soon.
Gravity-style.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Mel

SEVERE SPOILERS

'The Revenant' Recut as a Silent Movie trailer:

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Drenk

What a bad movie. Does someone care about the father and son relationship in this movie? About Leo's motivation? It's essential, but it seems like an afterthought in the movie.

Should we laugh at him because what happens to him is absolutely hilarious—the worst and the worst and the worst again because God is obviously punishing— or suffer with him, feel the pain of the journey, even if he seems to be able to endure everything? A meaningless journey. This isn't Gravity. Bullock fought against her fear and her unwillingness to live. Dicaprio is a robot. He shuts up and do the thing. The thing being different things.

They're walking from there to there. We don't really know why at the beginning. Then it goes on and on. It's not just Leo, it's also the others guys because, apparently, we don't have enough and they aren't empty shells. The bad guy is obviously bad since the beginning. He's almost shouting: "I HAVE BAD INTENTIONS AND THAT'S WHY I AM BAD". Whatever: leave him alone with the main character.

And I've rarely been less impressed by what is supposed to be an impressive prestation: DiCaprio does almost nothing, he's just there and, indeed, has saliva. If you've played to a video game ecently you won't be surprised by the immersive filmaking but you'll never get the control. You'll never play. You'll watch someone ramping, yelling, a gorgeous shot of nature, other characters walking somewhere while being cold and nervous, etc...

After two hours you just want him to kill him already.

Please. Kill him.

This movie is a waste of actors, cinematographer and subject.

A waste.

PS: I loved the big wave of CGI when the bear appeared.
Ascension.

QuoteDoes someone care about the father and son relationship in this movie? About Leo's motivation? It's essential, but it seems like an afterthought in the movie.

if you read my review, this was one of my biggest problems. you're 100% about it being a manipulative afterthought.
i'm a huge fan of the real story, so this movie pissed me off a lot, because he never had a son.
his only reason for revenge was that they left him there. but they did because they had to, the original people had zero negative intentions, they just didnt want to die.

the fact they fabricated these parts of the story is kind of like trying to redo any story from history and being like 'well hey lets give him a love interest'. it was a bullshit hollywood shortcut.

Drenk

Quote from: 03 on February 25, 2016, 05:41:20 PM
QuoteDoes someone care about the father and son relationship in this movie? About Leo's motivation? It's essential, but it seems like an afterthought in the movie.

if you read my review, this was one of my biggest problems. you're 100% about it being a manipulative afterthought.
i'm a huge fan of the real story, so this movie pissed me off a lot, because he never had a son.
his only reason for revenge was that they left him there. but they did because they had to, the original people had zero negative intentions, they just didnt want to die.

the fact they fabricated these parts of the story is kind of like trying to redo any story from history and being like 'well hey lets give him a love interest'. it was a bullshit hollywood shortcut.

It would have been better if his vengeance was tainted that way. Tom Hardy is so insignificantly bad willing from the beginning that I didn't care about that revenge. "Kill him fast, please" was all I was thinking for the last thirty minutes.

I wasn't even impressed by the filmaking. There is a short battle scene in The New World that is way more immersive and poetic than everything in The Revenant. And that movie also show you people who really seem to suffer from the conditions. Dicaprio is deathproof in there...

I'm too harsh, maybe, but it's positive, in a way, it's because they've tried something, I guess.
Ascension.