The Martian

Started by wilder, June 07, 2015, 03:43:07 PM

wilder

During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive.

Directed by Ridley Scott
Starring Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Kate Mara, Michael Peña, Jeff Daniels, Kristen Wiig, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Mackenzie Davis, Sean Bean, Donald Glover and Naomi Scott
Release Date - October 2, 2015

jenkins

wilder

Super spoilery trailer

Gold Trumpet

Almost a 1950s trailer in that it makes you feel like you've seen the entire movie by just watching the trailer. And for trailers today that generally already spoil too much, that's saying something.

picolas

absurdly bad trailer.

"everyone human being has a basic instinct to help each other out." 1: not really. 2: shitty sentence.

why do we keep seeing KRISTEN WIIG as a random shocked lady?? even if it wasn't wiig, it's the same shocked lady three separate times.

why is matt damon so BORED in every fucking scene????? HE'S GOING TO DIE. "in your face neil armstrong." maybe give that line a slightly different energy than all the other lines, damon? like "in your FACE neil armstrong!" just a thought.

why are chastain and damon doing another interstellar-like movie so close to interstellar? did this get shelved or something?

WHY is the cliffhanger ending of the trailer clearly taken from the press conference at the beginning of the trailer??? WE KNOW HE'S ALIVE. this is the dumbest thing about the trailer by far, outside of revealing all the beats of the story chronologically. it actually makes my blood boil a little bit that someone thought that was a good place to end the trailer, and other people presumably nodded their head. it's SO stupid.

wilder

wilder

Jeremy Blackman

Is the music choice a BSG reference? Interesting.

Either way, this new trailer is about 20 times better.

©brad

Maybe Mad Max spoiled me this year with thrillers because this felt like a tooth pick to Fury Road's chainsaw. It's unapologetically goofy with maybe a few too many dad jokes, but it's definitely a good time overall.

Everything just felt so safe. I wish it took more risks and didn't insist on holding our hand at every turn. The entire movie is basically Damon telling the audience "So here's the next problem I have to solve. It's not going to be easy." Then he solves it with relative ease and moves onto the next one. It also had a very 90s vibe and felt more like restrained Michael Bay than Ridley Scott.

I think there was good casting, although Kristin Wiig is completely wasted. It's really a big giant ad for Nasa and a love letter to science. It's not as visually stunning or panic-inducing as Gravity but it's certainly more fun.

Alexandro

SPOILERS FOR THE MARTIAN AND APOLLO 13

I can't believe this is one of the most celebrated american films of the year. The "science approach" means shit if you're 100% certain all the time that the main character will come out of this not only alive, but well. There's no edge, or dark undercurrent to the story or anything that happens with Damon. It doesn't dwell too much on the political games that people at NASA must play to get shit done. Come to think of it the film barely cares about anything more than what's strictly necessary, under the pretension that some suspense is being built. Two hours and 20 minutes for something you mostly know how it's gonna go from the start. Apollo 13, a real story which everyone KNEW how it ended even before the film was made has more suspense and gravitas. At least there you had Tom Hanks coming to terms with never realising his lifelong dream of landing on the moon, Gary Sinise feeling passed over, etcetera. Here you have Damon complaining about disco music and Jessica Chastain in a role that could have been played by anyone.

Sleepless

Anyone have/know where the screenplay can be downloaded? It's the only Oscar-nominated script that's not been made available by the studio (there's always one) and Google isn't any help either.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.