Mistress America

Started by wilder, June 03, 2015, 01:49:50 PM

wilder

In MISTRESS AMERICA, Tracy (Lola Kirke) is a lonely college freshman in New York, having neither the exciting university experience nor the glamorous metropolitan lifestyle she envisioned. But when she is taken in by her soon-to-be stepsister, Brooke (Greta Gerwig) – a resident of Times Square and adventurous gal about town – she is rescued from her disappointment and seduced by Brooke's alluringly mad schemes.

Directed by Noah Baumbach
Written by Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig
Starting Greta Gerwig and Lola Kitke
Release Date - August 14, 2015

Pedro

My hands are crossed across my lap in the upper left corner of the frame from :52 - :54.  I've made it, guys.

wilder

wilder

Pedro

I really enjoyed this, although it is a very long 84 minutes. 

Gerwig was excellent.  It's hard for me to fairly judge Kirke because she is a personal friend--I thought she was great, too.  I'm looking forward to objective opinions from you guys. 

I realize this movie may be a bit slight, focused on privileged people who are self-absorbed.  Well, I found myself unexpectedly moved.  It's touching, it's sweet.  Baumbach is on a hot streak. 

matt35mm

This movie is super lovely. I spent the whole time smiling, except for the frequent moments where my face made whatever expression it makes when I'm laughing. Is Greta Gerwig my favorite? I'm starting to think so. She's more than just good. I am astounded by her.

My objective opinion about your friend Lola Kirke is that she's really great and you should introduce me to her.

Baumbach and his editor Jennifer Lame have their game ON POINT. I left the theater with the same feeling I had after I watched FRANCES HA--I was mad at how good it was.

Tictacbk

I hated the first act of this movie so much I thought about walking out.  The scenes either had no structure, or were too expository, and everyone was talking AT each other but not TO each other. They were saying things that didn't seem to be in reply to whatever the person sharing the scene with them had just said.  The dissonance was so distracting at times that it felt like I was watching Tim & Eric or something.  But then... the movie just found its groove and it was delightful and hilarious. I don't know how you pulled that off Baumbach, but well done.  I'll have to watch it again and see if it was all in my head.

wilder