The Wolfpack - Documentary

Started by wilder, May 13, 2015, 01:40:22 PM

wilder

Locked away from society in an apartment on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, the Angulo brothers learn about the outside world through the films that they watch. Nicknamed the Wolfpack, the brothers spend their childhood re-enacting their favorite films using elaborate homemade props and costumes. With no friends and living on welfare, they feed their curiosity, creativity, and imagination with film, which allows them to escape from their feelings of isolation and loneliness. Everything changes when one of the brothers escapes, and the power dynamics in the house are transformed. The Wolfpack must learn how to integrate into society without disbanding the brotherhood.

Directed by Crystal Moselle
Winner of the Sundance Documentary Grand Prize
Release Date - June 12, 2015

Frederico Fellini

This looks fucking awesome. Will watch this.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

jenkins

The beginning with Friedkin out by the bar area, where their exterior scene happens later, is the outside of Cinefamily, the inside of which where they chat again with Friedkin, and where Belove introduces them as freshly arrived from the airport.

I haven't seen The Wolfpack but I predict I'll like it when I do. Sometimes I'm extra slow at deciding to watch documentaries.

wilder

Really liked this. I'd been hearing it was sort of slight and that delayed my watching it, but I didn't feel that way at all. These kids are so present and sharp and ironically more perceptive and in tune with themselves than most people not indoctrinated to the larger world solely through movies. Terrible as their upbringing might have been, none of them appear irreparably damaged by their isolation and moreso just seem unadulterated by modern life. You see it in their focus and the way they look people in the eye, in their boundless creativity... Watching this was sort of like stepping back in a time machine to a place where people still had awe of the world around them. I want friends like these.

And all of their recreations - I have to say the thought of listening to a group of nearly grown film nerds reenacting scenes from Reservoir Dogs or The Dark Knight sounds cringeworthy -- but they're damn good actors! I bet a couple could have a future in it if they tried.

Pedro

Spoilers?

Good take, Wilder.  I liked this a lot, too.  People are calling it slight?  That's ridiculous. 

Quote from: wilder on August 11, 2015, 07:28:40 AM
Terrible as their upbringing might have been, none of them appear irreparably damaged by their isolation and moreso just seem unadulterated by modern life.

I don't know about that...The isolation came with abuse, and those wounds don't necessarily heal.  I like that Moselle didn't push too hard about what specifically happened.  Perhaps that's why some think it's slight, but I simply think that is her humanity showing.  Exploitation doesn't belong here. 

I agree about their acting skills.  Whoever plays Mr. Orange wins my award.  But is it acting or mimesis?  That's a discussion for another day! 

Reel

This is on Netflix Instant and if I don't get to watch it today, I've failed at everything in life.

Garam

Superb, agree with all of Wilder's points. An allround great bunch of lads, and hope this film isn't the last I see of them.