Do we notice TV directors?

Started by wilder, October 01, 2014, 09:51:05 PM

wilder

Since this is "a thing" now, TV seems sorta kinda popular, how about recognizing the new invisibles. Also thinking about movie directors who tried their hand at features but eventually went "full TV", like Lesli Linka Glatter, who directed Now and Then (1995), but also several episodes of Twin Peaks, The West Wing, Freaks and Geeks, and Mad Men (including S01E05 "5G"). Or there's Miguel Arteta, who did The Good Girl (2002) and Youth In Revolt (2009), but has also spent time directing episodes of Six Feet Under, Enlightened, and Nurse Jackie. I'm sure this list is long. Really long. Help me out here. Anyone stick out?

MacGuffin

Michael Lehmann directed Heathers, 40 Days & 40 Nights and Hudson Hawk went on to direct episodes of Californication, True Blood and American Horror Story.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

he's directed 8 episodes of homeland, a true blood, 5 dexter, 5 six feet under, and movies like roadie and 12 and holding -- director of l.i.e.., michael cuesta

Jeremy Blackman

Michelle MacLahren is the first one that comes to mind. She directed a bunch of Breaking Bad episodes of course, but her work always stands out in other series... Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, The Leftovers. She's known for taking on intense/dark material and violent scenes, and in Breaking Bad she sometimes heightened the action from what was on the page, in "To'hajiilee" for example. Her best Breaking Bad episodes are probably "One Minute" and "Salud," both of which nearly everyone would put in BB's top ten.

David Nutter is the other obvious one. He's known as "the pilot whisperer" because of his record of directing pilot episodes that get picked up. He directed a number of Game of Thrones episodes including "The Rains of Castamere," which is certainly one of the best TV episodes of all time.

Both MacLaren and Nutter are from The X-Files, not coincidentally. Arguably one of the first big shows that experimented with TV as a director's medium.

polkablues

Keith Gordon, director of such under-appreciated gems as A Midnight Clear, Waking the Dead, The Chocolate War, and Mother Night, has been a full-time television director since 2006, most notably ten episodes of Dexter and a couple episodes of Homeland.

Let me just take this opportunity to reiterate that Waking the Dead is a beautiful movie and I love it and I've never met anyone in real life who's seen it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ghostboy

Lodge Kerrigan has been doing tons and tons of TV lately. I haven't seen any of it but I'm glad he's (presumably happily) employed.

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: Ghostboy on October 02, 2014, 12:29:12 AM
Lodge Kerrigan has been doing tons and tons of TV lately. I haven't seen any of it but I'm glad he's (presumably happily) employed.

Looking this up has lead to the discovery of The Red Road, a sundance channel show created by the guy who wrote Prisoners. James Gray directed the pilot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2505072/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on October 01, 2014, 10:44:48 PM
director of l.i.e.., michael cuesta

Just watched that again. Really good movie. How are his others?

jenkins

pretty solid but it's kinda crazy that he never hit a ball that far again. cinematic one-hit wonder kinda thing, sorta

polkablues

I remember 12 and Holding being very good. Really impressive kid performances.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fuzzy Dunlop

Peter Atencio -- Key and Peele is probably the most cinematic sketch comedy series ever. His genre parodies are right on the money, down to the little details. It seems as if he can appropriate any kind of style. He is the unofficial third member of the group, grounding each sketch and orienting the audience so that K&P are free to go down any crazy-crazy road they want. And to do it all on a Comedy Central sized budget is very impressive.

Tim Van Patten -- HBO's go-to guy for all their big shows. Racked up more episodes of The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire than anyone. Also did The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, The Pacific, and Game of Thrones. You know you're in good hands when his name pops up in the opening credits.

wilder

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 01, 2014, 10:59:18 PM
Michelle MacLahren is the first one that comes to mind. She directed a bunch of Breaking Bad episodes of course, but her work always stands out in other series... Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, The Leftovers. She's known for taking on intense/dark material and violent scenes, and in Breaking Bad she sometimes heightened the action from what was on the page, in "To'hajiilee" for example. Her best Breaking Bad episodes are probably "One Minute" and "Salud," both of which nearly everyone would put in BB's top ten.

The Other Wonder Woman: Michelle MacLaren Is the Best Director on TV - Vulture