Author Topic: Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!  (Read 32951 times)

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +267
Re: Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
Would anyone happen to have a copy of the screenplay they could send me? Much appreciated :)

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +689
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
Yeah, seconded. Weirdly, all the other Oscar contenders screenplays have been readily available online for a while but no IV.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +267
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »
Have apparently found it here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/237682604/Inherent-Vice#scribd

I don't have a scridb account and don't want to pay - especially if this turns out to not actually be it. Anyone else have an account already and want to download this and share with the whole class?

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1171
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
+5
There's a lot to love about this movie. It was kind of losing me until Doc arrives at the Golden Fang, but the second half is dramatically better. It's like Martin Short kicks that transmission into the right gear. The movie suddenly begins to effectively channel that alternate-world pseudo-apocalyptic energy that we felt in TWBB when milkshakes were being drunk. That's also when Jonny Greenwood's music starts working especially well. It really reminded me of his Bodysong score. (Listen to "Iron Swallow" and tell me that wasn't in the movie somewhere.)

The framing with heads being cut off actually worked quite well for me. It was a funny and effective way to introduce characters, at least twice that I remember. But I agree with putneyswipe that in general the framing seemed uninspired or intentionally plain, to the extent that I really noticed a beautifully framed scene when it arrived.

I was also deeply feeling the claustrophobia. The movie seems to take place mostly in series of rooms. When we do follow Doc outside, the few wide shots usually involve him being dwarfed by a large ominous building. Even the establishing shot outside his beach house is claustrophobic. (And I love that idea.) The camera is low to the ground uncomfortably between two buildings, and car bumpers even crowd out the shot later in the movie.

The final scene with Bigfoot was funny and wonderfully bizarre, and Doc's reaction is my favorite acting that JP does in the movie. But in retrospect I'm not sure the scene was entirely earned... the insanity or the emotional resolution. This scene was clearly meant to be more resonant than it actually is. And the way it dissolves into the next scene after the punchline kind of makes it feel a little cheap.

Likewise... I'm fascinated by some interpretations of the film, but I'm not convinced the movie itself engages those issues with much cogency. It's more like, yeah, I guess that's in there.

I feel like the way to appreciate this movie going forward is through its formal curiosities and its multitude of quirky delights. What I'm not feeling is a beating heart at the center, or a story that is screaming to be heard, or any character with a particularly rich inner life.

This just doesn't have the soul that I assume a PTA movie will have. Even The Master, probably PTA's coldest movie at that point, had full, intense characters with explosive depth, almost effortlessly. Inherent Vice just doesn't have any of that. Doc is certainly a sweet and somewhat angelic character, but let's be honest here, he has two or three distinguishing characteristics. Whatever depth might be there just isn't coming through the haze. I'm wondering if people are bringing information to this character from the book, because, while it's always fascinating to watch Joaquin Phoenix, I'm not quite feeling it.

I do think it's a good movie. Some scenes are amazing. I can sincerely accept this as a light diversion and move on with no complaints. Maybe it's like what he first intended with PDL, actually happening 12 years later.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +300
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
We've already talked about this at length in the shoutbox and have officially agreed that the cameo(if there even is one) is the guy in the background looking in on Coy and Doc's conversation at the Boards house. Anyway it doesn't even matter because no one will ever know which is why it's cool so let's move on.

Edit:had it saved

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »
+1
neat. didn't know you guys already totally figured this out and it wasn't worth discussing. thanks, sorry for sharing an article.

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +300
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »
+1
I'll end all my posts with 'jk' from now on to be absolutely clear.

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »
I'll end all my posts with 'jk' from now on to be absolutely clear.
Sorry, didn't mean to be hypersensitive there.

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »
+2
that pic reminds me of one of my favorite moments in Vice, which is Coy's parting barely audible words to Doc at the end of that lengthy convo, something like "find shasta fey. shasta fey", leaving our hero inexplicably floored and quivering. gives me chills every time.

and no need to apologize raptor, your response was pretty funny.

and JB, I think IV has the most soul in the PTA oeuvre.

porgy

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »
We've already talked about this at length in the shoutbox and have officially agreed that the cameo(if there even is one) is the guy in the background looking in on Coy and Doc's conversation at the Boards house. Anyway it doesn't even matter because no one will ever know which is why it's cool so let's move on.

I dont believe that's Pynchon.  I'm pretty sure it's Paul Dano.  Seriously.  I went to the premiere at NYFF and found myself standing behind him in  line for the bathroom - When I saw it the first time I thought it was him too.  Make of that what you will. 

modage

• Admin
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »
+1
It's not Pynchon or Dano. See this for a clearer look at that dude (from one of the TV spots).

JB, check back after viewing 2.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
Agreed on the point on the emotional weight of the ending to that scene. It's also one of the more impressive long takes in the movie.

I found the cinematography in Inherent Vice to be gorgeous, maybe the best collaboration between Anderson and Elswit. I would love to see a collection of the slow-dolly-in long takes, as there were so many. One of my favorites was the early scene in Doc's office between him and Tariq, moving in slowly on him past Phoenix, both of them up against a simple white wall. There was an interview with David Crank about how they originally went all-out on the 70s-ness of Doc's office, but after shooting a scene, decided to just simplify to what it is now. The elegant simplicity of the art direction in both this and The Master is really underrated.

modage

• Admin
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2015, 04:08:18 PM »
That scene was originally filmed with Mars Crain and recast with Michael K. Williams so that must've been when they decided on the ugly white wall.

Jim Steele

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »

I dont believe that's Pynchon.  I'm pretty sure it's Paul Dano.  Seriously.  I went to the premiere at NYFF and found myself standing behind him in  line for the bathroom - When I saw it the first time I thought it was him too.  Make of that what you will.

On my third viewing I thought Pynchon was the one of the patients at the "Straight is Hep" rehabilitation place. When Doc first walks in someone's serving soup to some old guy who gets an low (but audible) line in the background of Docs conversation.

the voice reminded me of Pynchon's voice from

its probably not, i never really looked into it. still fun to speculate.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy