You're The Worst [FX]

Started by modage, September 13, 2014, 02:52:03 PM

modage

Probably my favorite show currently on TV and definitely my favorite sitcom. It's about two horrible (but strangely incredibly likeable) people who hook up at a wedding and throughout the season end up begrudgingly falling for one another. It's from Steven Falk (writer on "Weeds" and "Orange Is The New Black") and has eps directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts ("Kings Of Summer"). It's very LA-centric but also weirdly the closest thing I've seen on American TV to the sensibility of a British sitcom (my steaze!) and also a romantic comedy (so who knows how long it could actually last, season 1 is almost over, 2 hasn't been ordered yet...) The cast is really great, especially the two leads. And like every great show, the opening credits are awesome.

Critics love it, too:
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/new-show-makes-romantic-comedy-funny
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/10/youre-the-worst-fx_n_5799072.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/21/you-re-the-worst-tv-s-best-couple-is-awful-and-perfect-for-each-other.html

Anyone else watching?

http://www.fxnetworks.com/youretheworst
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Drenk

I'll watch it, this week I read about it almost everywhere. And I need a great and weird sitcom since Happy Endings has been cancelled.
Ascension.

polkablues

R.I.P. Happy Endings

Mod, have you watched Broad City? I can't recall. It's the closest thing America will ever get to its own Peep Show.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Quote from: polkablues on September 13, 2014, 04:24:30 PM
Mod, have you watched Broad City? I can't recall. It's the closest thing America will ever get to its own Peep Show.
I haven't really. Watched the first ep somewhat recently and then Comedy Central pulled the entire rest of the season from their streaming app but I think it's back again so I might give it another shot.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Brando

I was drinking and stumbled across the show at one or two in the morning. I watched one episode and one episode of the show Married. Both were good. I haven't watched any more but do plan to revisit both shows.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Drenk

Wow.

The finale is spectacular. I wasn't crazy about the first episodes; it's only with Finish Your Milk that I sensed something special on it, the characters took shape, it was becoming a whole show.

The finale is just perfect. I don't laugh the way I laugh every second with Happy Endings or Arrested Development, but the characters are great and, like Jimmy said, "I like the way you think", well, I love the way this show thinks.

It can't stop.

(It would be a great series finale, though.)
Ascension.

modage

Yeah, I loved it too. I waver back and forth on the supporting characters broadness (sometimes it's funny, sometimes I wish it were a little more grounded) but everything regarding the Jimmy and Gretchen is just the best. Some nice emotional beats too and the ending was perfect. I hope it's not the series finale.

polkablues

You're The Worst is the Best! is the headline I would write if I were a tv critic for some hacky entertainment magazine. I'm four episodes in, and I'm completely sold. Aya Cash is a delight.

©brad

5 episodes in. Liking it a lot. Not completely sold.

The two supporting characters are waaaaaay too broad and feel like they belong on a CBS multi-cam show. I don't buy that either lead would hang out with them. It's a pity because the lead two are fantastic. I guess it's one thing if the writers are trying to do some kind of meta commentary on one-dimensional pun-popping side characters, but I don't think that's what they're going for.

I am a big fan of Stephen Falk though. He wrote some of the best episodes of the later, largely inconsistent seasons of Weeds. Also he churned out good episodes of OITNB and has a funny podcast called Film Pigs I recommend.

modage

Quote from: ©brad on September 26, 2014, 09:27:08 PM
The two supporting characters are waaaaaay too broad and feel like they belong on a CBS multi-cam show. I don't buy that either lead would hang out with them. It's a pity because the lead two are fantastic. I guess it's one thing if the writers are trying to do some kind of meta commentary on one-dimensional pun-popping side characters, but I don't think that's what they're going for.
I have trouble with this too. I still think Edgar is kinda useless as a character but Lindsay ends up being great, even if she feels like she's on a different broader show.

polkablues

Lindsay is hilarious. Edgar suffers from the classic side-character pitfall of merely consisting of a collection of character traits, rather than being an actual character. I also find the actor's delivery a little grating.

Fuzzy Dunlop

It's been renewed! Moving to FXX.

http://www.avclub.com/article/married-renewed-fx-youre-worst-moves-fxx-209905

I ended up marathoning the first season twice in one week somehow. I really dig it. I may have a bias since it's all shot in my neighborhood and all the details are so accurate, little stuff like the coffee cups they use in the diner scenes are the ones they actually have at Brite Spot, and the fact that I can pretty much see my apartment whenever they look out his bedroom window. But beyond all that its just really sharply observed and feels honest, even when they go broad. Excited to see where they go from here.

jenkins

outside of living there, how much of the show takes place in echo park?

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: jenkins<3 on September 30, 2014, 08:36:45 PM
outside of living there, how much of the show takes place in echo park?

The main house is in the Silverlake hills and a lot of the spots they hit are in Silverlake, but they eat at the Brite Spot in Echo Park like twice an episode. There are plenty of scenes at Echo Park lake and Blue Bag Records. They also go to the Bigfoot Lodge in Atwater a lot as well as Foxfire in the valley aka Quiz Kid Donnie's favorite spot.

And almost all the characters who live on the west side are portrayed as being super lame.

Tictacbk

I definitely gave this show bonus points simply for existing in my neighborhood too, but I also enjoyed it.  They really nail the relationship  at the show's center.  Just about everything else needs a little work though.  My favorite side characters were the rap guys and the, uh, friend's sister's husband.  That's probably because they didn't try to give them stories, and they didn't need to.   The side characters mostly feel underdeveloped and, more importantly, every relationship besides the central one doesn't seem well thought out.  They sacrifice believability for laughs too often.  For example, why are all these women married to men they apparently hate and/or know nothing about? 

It's still better than all sorts of stuff on TV though, so I'd def recommend it.  Looking forward to season 2.