Author Topic: The Leftovers  (Read 12917 times)

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1669
Re: The Leftovers
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »
Not that it means anything definitive, but the director of the episode thinks Nora believes her own story.

From a Screencrush interview:
Mimi Leder: Did you believe [Nora] at the end? What did you think? Did you think it was real?

Interviewer: Iíve come to the conclusion that I believe that she believes it, and thatís kind of enough. I donít think I need to know if her story is real or not.

Mimi Leder: I couldnít agree with you more. I mean everyone has different opinions about it and thatís really interesting, but yeah, that is how I see it very much too. Itís really interesting when people say she really went there in this contraption, which is believable as well. But itís interesting what you will believe in, what each and every one of us wants to believe to get through the day, to offer ourselves some sort of peace, some connection to the here and now. So I found this story very satisfying, and a real left turn in filmmaking in terms of finale. Itís very different than the show and itís its own little movie. It was really fun to do, and emotional. Itís like a little poem.

The way she phrases it, to me, looks like she believes Nora believes her own story, but that it isn't what really happened.What with the barely justified random insanity plaguing Kevin, I wouldn't be surprised if she had built an illusion that she believed.

I'm definitely with her in the sense that it really feels like Carrie Coon played the scene as though she believed the story. I think that's why I landed so strongly on that side of the aisle on my initial viewing; the performance was so convincing I failed to notice all the clues to the contrary.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +689
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »
+3
Overall: I loved the series and felt satisfied by the finale even if it didn't hook me emotionally as much as I wanted.

I too think she was making it up. It's a perfect construction of a way for Lindelof to "have his cake and eat it too" regarding answering the one question he said the show would never answer -- where people went after the Departure -- to silence any potential trolls telling him he never said where they went. But for the themes of the show, it makes so much more sense for her to be making up the story, Kevin believes her because he wants to believe in something/someone, and it doesn't matter that it's not true if it helps her cope. If it's true, there really isn't much ambiguity, it just straight out answers all the questions and seems too tidy. The fact that we get flashes of Nora's kids and other things and when she's telling the story we see flashes to her getting into the machine, but we never see a glimpse of her going through seems to make sense that it didn't really happen. Of course this would be a cinematic thing to shoot, her walking around a vacant Mapleton, tying the beginning and end of the series together, but they don't do it because it's a lie.

Also interesting to note in interviews Lindelof keeps saying that if you know something isn't true but someone else tells the story and they believe it, does that make it true? Which also seems to support the notion that Lindelof believes its a lie but Mimi and Carrie believe it's true (none of those 3 ever discussed if it was true or a lie, each made up their own version that worked for them), so does that make it more true? The answer is: there is no answer. But I believe Lindelof believes it's not true, whether that makes it more definitive than Carrie or Mimi's version is up for debate.

Even the last shot of all the birds flying back to the roof is a great wink to the audience because WE keep wanting to believe in something greater, higher, more romantic so when it seems like these birds are really going to deliver these love notes into the world instead of coming back to Nora's, we want to believe that. But when they just return home, it's like, but of course they do. But for that moment they didn't, you believed. That's in our nature.

I will miss this show. And thrilled to see Lindelof getting his reputation back and can't wait to see what he does next.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1669
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »
+1
From the long Vulture article posted upthread, it's pretty clear that Lindelof and the writers room settled on her having made the story up, though his ultimate goal was for the audience to come down 50/50 on either side of the question. To me, the important thing was the emotional resolution. Not knowing for sure if it was true, a lie, or something in between is a fun game, but not particularly important in the grand scheme of things.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2017, 06:08:57 PM »
Nora got her International Ghost.

I loved the finale. I don't care if her story is true. But I definitely think it felt real to her.

The mood was eerie, the moments with Kevin/Nora intense...it was simple but it had scope. I couldn't be happier.
I'm so many people.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1174
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2017, 01:57:39 PM »
So there's this.

"Hunger is the purest sin"

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2017, 05:32:22 PM »
I couldn't stop about Freddy Quell saying "How did you find me?" after The Master so I probably won't stop thinking about all the ways Carrie Coon says "How did you find me?" in The Book of Nora.
I'm so many people.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy