The Hateful Eight

Started by Fernando, November 27, 2013, 09:49:27 AM

Pedro

wilder

'The Hateful Eight' Sets Christmas Day Release, 2 Week 70mm Roadshow To Be Followed By Digital Wide Release
via The Playlist

While up to fifty U.S. theaters are reportedly being retro-fitted with projectors to screen Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" on glorious 70mm as he intends it to be seen, the crushing reality is that for most moviegoers, his western will arrive as a digital experience. But it's admirable that The Weinstein Company is putting forth the effort and commitment to present Tarantino's film as a big screen extravaganza.

Purported release dates have been floating around for a while now, but Variety reveals that "The Hateful Eight" will open in cinemas on Christmas Day. The plan is for "The Hateful Eight" to travel in a two-week roadshow style exhibition in 70mm, before going wide digitally everywhere on January 8th. The exact dates and cities for the 70mm showing haven't been revealed, but you'll have a pretty decent window to catch it in that format if you want. So don't plan to stray too far from home this holiday season.

jenkins

Tarantino says it's funnier than the other three wintry westerns thought of that day:

Quote"I can definitely say that as bleak as our movie is, we are definitely the funniest snow Western ever made," says Tarantino. "This is funnier than The Great Silence, it's funnier than Day of the Outlaw."

Okay. But is it funnier than [clink link for spoiler] "Oh, yeah, funnier than McCabe & Mrs. Miller."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/02/hateful-eight-exclusive-image-kurt-russell

Then he mentions watching The Virginian and Bonanza.

And I like how the theater he owns has already started lining up movies that appear influential:

Robyn

Ennio Morricone will do the score!

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-hateful-eight-score/

I want to make one announcement that people don't know yet. It wasn't for sure, but we just settled it. You guys know that I don't use an original score in my movies, I kinda take scores from other movies and put 'em in there. This one, I thought should have an original score. So I'm here to announce that the great Ennio Morricone will be doing the score for The Hateful Eight. He's writing right now, and recording in Prague in the next couple of weeks.

Robyn

say what you want about him but this interview is quite nice.

polkablues

I think Ennio Morricone is tied with Abe Vigoda for the title of "Person I'm most surprised by when reminded they're still alive."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

wilder

cronopio 2

simpsons did it simpsons did it

Drenk

Quote from: KJ on August 12, 2015, 12:24:44 PM
I get the feeling that I have already seen this.

Yeah. I don't even care for snow in 70mm. Anyway, I'm sure it will be good! I like Tarantino.
Ascension.

Gold Trumpet

Yea, he's been circling historical genre drama's for too long now. I would like him to no budget a film set somewhere in present day and be forced to completely out write a film as a means to make it. I think Death Proof is underrated and whenever I find myself watching films of his, I actually enjoy that one most - when it comes to what he's done in last 15 years.

Robyn

Quote from: Drenk on August 12, 2015, 04:08:13 PM

Yeah. I don't even care for snow in 70mm. Anyway, I'm sure it will be good! I like Tarantino.

it's probably gonna be good, yeah. I like him as well.

but I agree with gold trumpet. it would be great if he did some smaller budget films and didn't care about if the films fits the "tarantino world" or not. I know that he wants a coherent style through his films but I think it does more harm than good. wouldn't it be great if he just did an allen for the next 10 year and didn't overthink his films as much?

new poster:

(still filmed in glourious 70mm!!!)

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on August 12, 2015, 04:46:02 PM
I would like him to no budget a film set somewhere in present day and be forced to completely out write a film as a means to make it.
Quote from: KJ on August 12, 2015, 06:58:48 PM
it would be great if he did some smaller budget films ... wouldn't it be great if he just did an allen for the next 10 year and didn't overthink his films as much?

There are tons of filmmakers out there making semi-interesting projects for no money. Quentin is one of the ONLY people left who can command a real budget for an original, unique, crazy, balls-to-the-wall story. Why the hell would we want to impose such unnecessary limitations on an artist with such a huge imagination? An artist who has already done PLENTY of low-budget work and doesn't have to prove anything on that count.

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on August 12, 2015, 04:46:02 PMI think Death Proof is underrated and whenever I find myself watching films of his, I actually enjoy that one most - when it comes to what he's done in last 15 years.

That is bananas. It's fun, but to me Grindhouse is basically just him and Rodriguez sitting on their hands and jerking off for three hours. I'm glad it bombed and QT and RR essentially parted ways; I think he was a bad influence on Quentin, who has done career-best work since then. If you watch the El Rey interview above they basically discuss how cocky they were before the release of that film, and how it's failure snapped QT of it. I don't one of the greatest modern filmmakers to waste his talents on B-movies, I don't care how much of a hard-on he has for them.

modage

Cinematography looks nice but nothing else in the trailer really has me excited. And the 'entire movie taking place in one room' teleplay vibe definitely has me concerned.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

I was also concerned, but watching it again, I think it's just a poorly-made trailer. Still not especially excited, though. I was hoping for a classic western setting.