The Grand Budapest Hotel

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2013, 12:53:31 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

According to the website, the trailer is going to be released Thursday  :)
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

It's just good to see Wes trying something different this time.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Tempted to analyse that poster.

I know absolutely nothing about the story but it's interesting that the natural landmarks all loom above the structure of the hotel, but that the name of the hotel/film goes above them all.

It makes me think of what Anderson is really concerned with in his films. Oh it reminds of the shining of course, but it also is consistent with the recurring motif of "legends" in his films. Legend creation, legend destruction, and the formation of greater narratives that give his characters meaning to themselves.

We also see the way that nature often interacts and corresponds with the human narratives. From mordecai the hawk to the jaguar shark to the autumn leaves in Rushmore to the climax of moonrise kingdom. My tablet is dying so I'll have to finish this here.

Anyway, I'm starting to really like this dude again.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

^^i like that, and i like this thread's three-way positivity

movie talk:

Saoirse Ronan -- yeah, hanna(!!)
Mathieu Amalric -- drenk, is amalric the new depardieu of france? they could replace depardieu statues with amalric statues, if they want
Léa Seydoux -- iyo, what's the warmest color out of all colors
F. Murray Abraham -- if he gives any Antonio Salieri stares i'm going to become emotional
willem dafoe/tilda swinton -- ones i'll list whom i'd guess everyone already remembers, and they've worked with wes anderson before, but i think they're so ace and value their spread of contributions
every actor - impressive

written -- wes anderson is listed alone. do you think he really wrote it alone? lol, pff, no way. i don't believe it because that'd be the most impressive thing i've ever heard about, so anyway one day i'll read his charlie kaufman emails
music -- alexandre desplat (!!). other 2014 desplat movie: ggggoooodzilla
dp -- yeoman, mhmm
editor -- omg, who is this? Barney Pilling has edited an education, never let me go, one day, quartet, and the grand budapest hotel
production designer -- Adam Stockhausen, who started as an art director on darjeeling, worked as production designer for wes craven during my soul to take and scream 4, then production designed moonrise, then 12 years a slave, and now the hotel. niiiice

bigperm

Safe As Milk

©brad

OMG HE'S DOING THE SAME THING AGAIN IT'S SO TWEE OH LOOK CENTER-FRAMED SHOTS HIPSTER POP SOUNDTRACK HE NEVER EVOLVES UNLIKE PTA THE BETTER ANDERSON SO OVER HIM WAKE ME WHEN HE ACTUALLY ADVANCES CINEMA FOR ONCE

But really this looks great.

cinemanarchist

He did shoot in three (1:33, 1:85, 2:35:1) aspect ratios. That has to account for something. Yes, this looks amazing, but I am a sucker for movies set in hotels (see Home Alone 2 and Dunston Checks In)
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Pubrick

I don't think he ever finished perfecting what he started doing from the very beginning of his career. I think there is measured change in every new film he made. Somewhere along the way he forgot to make his characters interesting, that is with Darjeeling which was a major misstep and went a long way in feeding the trolls. But now he's got that stinker out of his system he's committed so brazenly to his own shtick that it's endearing and even exciting again.

Most importantly, is this really 4:3?
under the paving stones.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Pubrick on October 17, 2013, 11:13:02 AM
Most importantly, is this really 4:3?

Apparently the story takes place over a number of years and the older stuff (which is mostly what is seen in the trailer) is shot in 4:3 and 1:85 and 2:35:1 are used for later time periods.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

modage

Quote from: ©brad on October 17, 2013, 11:00:37 AM
OMG HE'S DOING THE SAME THING AGAIN IT'S SO TWEE OH LOOK CENTER-FRAMED SHOTS HIPSTER POP SOUNDTRACK HE NEVER EVOLVES UNLIKE PTA THE BETTER ANDERSON SO OVER HIM WAKE ME WHEN HE ACTUALLY ADVANCES CINEMA FOR ONCE

But really this looks great.

I clicked on the trailer fully expecting to hate on it having learned my lesson with his last few films, but goddamnit, I think it looks great. It might be terrible, but once again, I hope it's not.

The only reason I can think of that this trailer is working for me is that this looks fast and funny as shit (where his last few films have been really emo but not really very funny). If this is hilarious, I think I can forgive the self-parodic elements. ...Or maybe he just works best now in short format.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Frederico Fellini

Great!  Wes Anderson makes yet another Wes Anderson film with the Wes Anderson style for the Wes Anderson fans. Confused by the title though, I thought it was called Rushmore part 6.

(I'm still gonna see it though)

P.S: Love the Max Ophuls swagger jacking.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

jenkins

Sleepless

What a fun trailer! Hopefully this is an accurate indication of the tone. Love the Ralph Fiennes character. I was disappointed by Moonrise Kingdom, but it seems like this is maybe going to build on the lessons learned there - there's a bigger "chase" element, and Edward Norton has graduated from a boy scout master trying to find a missing kid, to a police detective trying to find a missing crook. It does seem like it's been a while since we've had this much comedy in a Wes Anderson film. Fingers crossed this is a return to form.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

Quote from: Sleepless on October 17, 2013, 04:30:31 PM
Hopefully this is an accurate indication of the tone.
curious and readytobesurprised by shifts from new narrative goals and a new editor. david mortiz (bottle rocket, rushmore, life aquatic, wanderlust, peeples), dylan tichenor (boogie nights, magnolia, royal tenenbaums, there will be blood), and andrew weisblum (darjeeling limited, the wrestler, sup for fantastic mr fox, black swan, moonrise kingdom) swapped for barney pilling (never let me go)! think we can all agree wes anderson admires pilling's abilities from more than a professional level. excited for the vibes