Tom at the Farm

Started by wilder, October 04, 2013, 07:45:13 AM

wilder

A grieving man meets his lover's family, who were not aware of their son's sexual orientation.

Directed by Xavier Dolan
Written by Xavier Dolan and Michel Marc Bouchard
Starring Xavier Dolan, Pierre-Yves Cardinal, and Lise Roy
Release Date - August 14, 2015

jenkins

it's down :( i'm going to edit this after i find one that's not down. very excited

(edit) as were my wishes: i was already excited, and now i'm more excited. such talent, imo. cinema needs a xavier dolan. we've got one!

jenkins

delighted by dolan's range of artistic adventure -- one can feel his characters, through the actors alone (he's the star), then there's also the camera, the music, the color, the wardrobe, the etc. he doesn't seem to skip an aspect of production

consistently beautiful. for example the poster references a shot i enjoyed: his hair tingles with the field's colors for an aesthetic pulse dolan is capable of providing, and cinephiles will recall a shot of chloƫ sevigny walking through a field. through that somewhat accidental link, i'd like to say i'm as impressed by dolan's young talent as i was by harmony korine's. they're not overall similar as artists, but i tremendously enjoy how they both earlyon exhibit bravery and determination in wiring their aesthetic circuits into their characters' motherboards. their use of cinema helps create emotions that are their stories' strongest undercurrents. plus, i think dolan simply has a broader range of cinematic interests

the music for sure references bernard herrmann's work for hitchcock. i think that will resonate with people here. though he's not atall fully hitchocking this, thankfully (we've seen those). there's a music moment that thunders at you and gives you a response you're meant to have and couldn't have as well if the music wasn't there. that's the way to do it, imo. music fuses character and plot details, i enjoyed this very much in his previous work also, and here it helps steer the thriller narrative

yes, it is indeed a thriller. i wondered what that would be like. it works. it's based on a play. the central theme, which becomes the movie's jacket, is presented with clarity to remind one of contemporary social and political issues. take from the theme what you will, the pleasure for me is there's much more to talk about. perhaps the characters are too easy (are they always too easy in plays? they tend to be built like that) and perhaps the characters aren't built enough to seem outstanding, though i think what is there is shared in a remarkable way. i can remember every emotion and moment in the movie because along with them i can remember every remarkable shot in every remarkable sequence. the charcters' eyes linger with me

the truth is i'm endlessly jealous of xavier dolan. if he was 80 i'd be floored. he's 24. what an asshole

jenkins

by own admission there's much i don't know about the realm of theater. i haven't navigated the endevour. an area i have seen, and appears common enough, is where the depiction of the characters are tethered to the theme. like, in a genre movie it's common for scenes to wind the genre, and tom at the farm has genre moments that whiz and bang with cinematic energy, but the center of the movie isn't a genre so much as a theme. by the movie's end you know what you've seen it and why you've seen it. imo that particular form leaves less to my imagination

like any other artistic style, it seems great when the artist can conquer the form through expansive consideration. the incorporation of the known with the discovered. oh i gotta say that, since you mentioned lonergan, and margaret does what i described many times. and, i'd watch it any day of the week

i relate to what you said and would enjoy a future conversation about it

wilder

Short interview, some clips:

wilder

For UK residents, Tom at the Farm will be available on BFI Player beginning May 9, 2014

wilder

UK Blu-ray from Network on August 18, 2014

forgot to comment after watching. crazy amazing film, man. very deep, unsettling, i'm noticing a trend with a lot of the amazing movies that have come out this year. the best ones so far have been very dark, quiet, and subtly comedic in upsetting ways. i have no problem with this if it's becoming the thing to do this year. because blue ruin, borgman, night moves, etc have all had a vaguely similar style that i'm getting very used to. again, brilliant film, see it asap. and of course all i could think when it was over was:

wilder

US release date - August 14, 2015

wilder

wilder

Now available to rent/buy on Amazon Instant, and streaming free with Amazon Prime. On disc it's DVD only in the US, but there's also the Region 1 Canadian blu-ray available.