American Express commercial

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2003, 10:00:59 PM

godardian

I generally hate when my heroes get sucked into commercials, but that's usually songs- hearing The Buzzcocks' "What Do I Get?" and The Smiths' "How Soon is Now?" to sell autos were definite low points.

HOWEVER... this commercial is entertaining and funny, and at least Marty is getting some exposure. It's not cheesy, it's actually interesting.

I will never support American Express, however. Give me good 'ol working-class, unassuming Visa or MasterCard, if I have to join the giant corporate credit-card race.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

De Niro Upsets Fans with American Express Ad

Robert De Niro has angered fans by making a rare TV commercial appearance in a controversial new American Express advert directed by pal Martin Scorsese. The movie legend is shot by the director walking around his beloved New York explaining why the Big Apple is so important to him in the grainy black and white ad. The emotive commercial also montage footage of policemen, fireman, old- timers and basketball players. But shots of Ground Zero and De Niro's comment "My heartbreak" in the 30-second commercial have upset many fans, who deem the images inappropriate for an American Express commercial. One angry New York fan on the Digital Spy Internet chat site has blasted the actor and Scorsese for their insensitivity. He fumes, "For a guy who's supposed to love the city, you'd think he'd show a bit more class... Using a tragedy to sell a product stinks." But De Niro's decision to shoot the commercial was an easy one - American Express largely funds his annual Tribeca Film Festival.

Commercial seen here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

That IS way too dramatic of a commercial.  It just seems mildly silly to have all that and have at the end: American Express.  Essentially saying, "This is the place where I live and that means so much to me.  And this is how I buy things."

But whatev.

picolas

the worst is that tucked-in face he makes. it looks like he's awkwardly disappointed in himself.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I rarely say this while reading analysis but jeez...talk about going in too DEEP

the buildings fell 3 years ago.  this is a commercial based around America and NYC.  I havent seen it, nor a tucked-in/ashamed face, but there are plenty worse fuckin commercials to this day.

Remember McDonalds' "All-American Summer" where they started serving Hot Dogs?  They used a TRAGEDY to pawn 1/2-assed Tubes of MEAT!

& yet only one friend of mine bitched and no one in America seemed to notice.  So far, this commercial seems like it's trying to at least be tasteful, and I doubt one could talk about New York lately without mentioning the Two Towers.  THAT would be disrespect for home.

Anyhow, if the commercial was funny like the first Scorsese ad it might have worked too =P

Kal

I just think its a very bad commercial... The way its filmed... what he says... the tagline... its just cheap creativity powered by a big actor but the commercial itself sucks!

That being said... its amazing how bad the commercials are in the USA... having lived a big part of my life in Europe and South America I can assure how better the creativity for commercials is and how hard everyone works on creating something with meaning or something that at least you can remember... here its just some shit commercial and the only reason why it works is because they are all the same and the ones that win are the ones with more money to play it everywhere...

Well... its kinda like the movies... same story

does anyone knows what's the name of the song that's in the DeNiro ad ?
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopiodoes anyone knows what's the name of the song that's in the DeNiro ad ?

"Stringer Quartet No. 3 (Mishima) 1957" - Philip Glass

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: picolasthe worst is that tucked-in face he makes. it looks like he's awkwardly disappointed in himself.
i'm still laughing at this. it's the perfect description and an image that will haunt him to his dying days.
under the paving stones.

Bethie

There's a new commercial now. Ellen is in it and shit
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Quote from: Bethie on June 05, 2007, 01:05:10 AM
There's a new commercial now. Ellen is in it and shit

Martin Scorsese Directs New American Express TV Spot

In a new television spot, Martin Scorsese directs Andre Agassi, Sheryl Crow, Ellen DeGeneres, Alicia Keys and Shaun White in a unique online initiative called The Members Project that enables American Express Cardmembers to come together as a community by submitting and sharing their project ideas for making a positive impact in the world. The spot features the celebrity cardmembers sharing their ideas on how to make a positive impact in the world. Scorsese even makes a special cameo from behind the camera.

The Members Project, which is a part of American Express' new brand campaign, "Are You a Cardmember," highlights the value of being a cardmember and part of the American Express Cardmember community. It provides a forum for cardmembers to rate and discuss project ideas on message boards. Ultimately the community will vote and choose one innovative winning idea that American Express will help bring to life with up to $5 million.

According to the press release:
"Our Cardmembers make up a unique community — one that is highly engaged and passionate — and we know that they care about the world around them," said Jud Linville, president of American Express Consumer Card Services Group. "Through the unique experience of The Members Project, our community of Cardmembers is pulling together and collectively shaking up the world just a little bit to do some good."

In a time when green suspicions run high when any big corporation launches a new green or cause related initiative, American Express seems to be sticking to its values and giving the power to the people in this new campaign with the star power to support it.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2862247

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

haha

although i wish they had ended it sooner. or given tina her wish (as she winks/gives the thumbs up to the camera. and it would've made for a redeeming de niro cameo)

©brad

i love marty's laugh after "oh i've seen it."