Claire Denis

Started by wilder, April 18, 2013, 08:27:14 PM

wilder

Mia Goth To Star With Robert Pattinson In 'High Life'
via Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Mia Goth is set to star opposite Robert Pattinson in High Life, the English-language debut film from director Claire Denis. The movie is about a group of criminals who accept a mission in space to become the subjects of a human reproduction experiment. They find themselves in the most unimaginable situation after a storm of cosmic rays hit the ship.

samsong

jesus.
fucking.
christ.

wilder

Juliette Binoche & GĂ©rard Depardieu Team For Claire Denis' 'Dark Glasses'
via The Playlist

Given the tight knit French film community, and the fact that both Gerard Depardieu and Juliette Binoche are bonafide legends, it's a bit shocking that the pair have never starred in a film together. But that's about the change with "Dark Glasses," the next film from the great Claire Denis.

While we have been pining for the director's brewing sci-fi movie "High Life" starring Robert Pattinson, Patricia Arquette, and Mia Goth, which was supposed to start shooting this spring, it looks like Denis has put it on the back-burner as she pivots to "Dark Glasses." France 3 reports that Depardieu and Binoche will be joined by Xavier Beauvois in the film which will start shooting this month, with The Film Stage adding production will last seven weeks, and that the film is based on the book by Roland Barthes.

The source material has already been adapted by directors Derek Tsang and Jimmy Wan in the 2010 Hong Kong picture named after the book, but it seems like there's a more than few avenues to follow in interpreting Barthes work. And certainly, based on the casting alone, Denis has the higher profile movie already. Word is that "Dark Glasses" will be ready to premiere later this year

Just Withnail

Quote from: The Playlistit's a bit shocking that the pair have never starred in a film together. But that's about the change with "Dark Glasses," the next film from the great Claire Denis.

This might have something to do with it:

Quote from: Gerard Depardieu
Please can you explain to me what the secret of this actress is meant to be? I would really like to know why she has been so esteemed for so many years. She has nothing. Absolutely nothing!

I can't find any book by Barthes called Dark Glasses, but it is a "figure" he describes in A Lover's Discourse, summarised by someone else here:

Dark Glasses

cacher / to hide

A deliberative figure: the amorous subject wonders, not whether he should declare his love to the loved being (this is not a figure of avowal), but to what degree he should conceal the turbulences of his passion: his desires, his distresses; in short, his excesses (in Racinian langauges: his fureur).

jenkins

jenkins

Robyn

U.S Go Home is seriously one of the best coming-of-age films I've ever seen. If you haven't already seen it, go watch it on youtube now!