How Did This Get Made? (Podcast)

Started by cinemanarchist, December 22, 2010, 09:56:14 AM

Reel

Quote from: Christian on August 06, 2013, 11:21:18 AM
The director of Jaws - The Revenge, Joseph Sargent is interviewed on the prequel episode 69. Short but funny.

I've never listened to one pre show. How long are they?

mogwai

Quote from: Reelist on August 06, 2013, 12:00:06 PM
Quote from: Christian on August 06, 2013, 11:21:18 AM
The director of Jaws - The Revenge, Joseph Sargent is interviewed on the prequel episode 69. Short but funny.

I've never listened to one pre show. How long are they?

Around 10 and 20 minutes.

Jeremy Blackman

You must listen to the mini episodes. Even though it's Paul solo and he's only had guests a couple times. Listen for Corrections & Omissions and Q&As. They often follow up on interesting things from the previous episode.

Plus you get to be entertained by Paul's improv skills and all the bizarre things he says. I like the little songs he makes up sometimes. After watching some of Human Giant, I realized this is definitely one of this things.

Pubrick

Wait.. there's such a thing as 10min podcasts?

thanks for the heads up, i might finally give this a go.

who knew you could have a life and still listen to these things.
under the paving stones.

©brad

If you want some fun, brief comedy I suggest you give the 10 Minute podcast a try, particularly any episode with "Shawna" in the title.

mogwai

They talk about this movie on the latest podcast:

Anyone who've seen it? I remember seeing bits and I didn't understand anything although I seem to like these kind of bizarre movies. Judging by the trailer above it's mostly a Robin Williams show off with his regular comedy routines.

polkablues

I own the DVD, I've seen it three or four times in my life.

I actually really enjoy the movie. It's truly bizarre, visually stunning, has a fantastic soundtrack, and Robin Williams is actually fairly restrained for the most part. I haven't listened to the HDTGM episode yet, but I'm curious what they have to say about it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Nice, I needed something to fall asleep to. The Breaking Bad podcast is too deep, only one more episode...I can't take it  :cry: I hear the series is ending too. Listened to The Glimmer Man today and that was the funniest shit I've heard in a long time, hearing Zoukas, Scheer, and Lajoie bounce off eachother made me think I should finally start watching The League.

Toys is a weird movie, I saw it when I was really young and it had an effect on me. You'd think it'd be fun, Robin Williams as a toy inventor, but it's incredibly lifeless and dull. I've never made it through the whole thing and I probably attempted at least 5 times. It's not a kid's movie, it's about the world of toys from an adult perspective in this sanitized corporate setting that creeps me the fuck out, frankly. I have no desire to watch it, but I'm really looking forward to hearing them dissect it. EDIT: Of course Polka likes it

BTW, I've been watching some of the HDTGM picks with friends lately. All About Steve, Demolition Man, and Jack & Jill so far ( could've sworn they did Jack & Jill but haven't been able to find it ) They've all been terrifically bad, but Jack & Jill is just an atrocity. It's fucking painful watching Adam Sandler play that part. I found myself thinking of thousands of ways they could've made a better movie with less effort.

Jeremy Blackman

I saw Toys as a kid. I think I was mostly confused and thought it was dumb. I don't recall the weirdness being interesting.

Quote from: Reelist on September 25, 2013, 01:41:54 AMBTW, I've been watching some of the HDTGM picks with friends lately. All About Steve, Demolition Man, and Jack & Jill so far ( could've sworn they did Jack & Jill but haven't been able to find it ) They've all been terrifically bad, but Jack & Jill is just an atrocity. It's fucking painful watching Adam Sandler play that part. I found myself thinking of thousands of ways they could've made a better movie with less effort.

June keeps bringing up Jack & Jill, and they've talked about doing it, but they haven't done it yet. She did compare the Jack/Jill relationship (which she thought was sweet and touching) to some relationship in another movie. Don't remember which.

mogwai

The halloween episode is out now and they discuss "Halloween 3". I'm about to start listen to it. If you'll haven't seen it then it's the most vile movie ever made. The worst part is that there's no Michael Myers character in it.

Reel

Anyone who's still on the fence about this show and not sure if you wanna waste your time on it or not should check out their past two episodes The Howdie Awards it's a best of compilation where they revisit some of the zanier parts of the show

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah they were great highlights. Honestly though for a new listener I'd rather recommend whole episodes, because it's all much better in context, and the awards were like a massive spoiler reel. My list is here.

Jeremy Blackman

Badger from Breaking Bad is this week's guest.

©brad

This podcast fell out of my rotation for the past year or so (there's only so many podcasts you can listen to at one time). Of the most recent episodes which are essential?

Jeremy Blackman

That's an irresistible assignment. Alright, from the past year, these are the must-listens:

Ernest Goes To Jail
Jack Frost
Gooby
Fair Game
Monkey Shines

Classic essential stuff in all of those episodes.

Depending on your level of interest in Hulk Hogan, you can also add No Holds Barred and Mr. Nanny. Skip the Howdies.

EDIT: Removed "A Winter's Tale" from the list. It's maybe for superfans only. Definitely listen if you're ready to get submerged/lost in a very dizzying episode. They struggle to get their arms around this one, which is a rewarding listening experience, but perhaps an acquired taste.