How Did This Get Made? (Podcast)

Started by cinemanarchist, December 22, 2010, 09:56:14 AM

polkablues

I haven't seen that movie since I was eight. I'll have to find somewhere I can rewatch it, then listen to the episode.

The Fast and Furious 6 episode was great, too. They brought back Adam Scott, who did the Fast Five one with them. There's something so engaging about the episodes where they loved the movie they're talking about (Fast Five, Crank 2, Drive Angry, Punisher: War Zone); the enthusiasm is infectious. It helps that I agree completely about the last two Fast/Furious movies, which are the best non-Bourne action movies of the 21st century.

The worst episodes are the "it wasn't as bad as I was expecting" ones, like The Odd Life of Timothy Green (which consisted almost entirely of Tim Heidecker rationally laying out the reasons why the movie works).
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I also saw the movie, or part of it, when I was very young. I remember being really disturbed, and quite aware that it was not made for me (a kid) or possibly anyone. I also did not understand it to be a comedy. The colors, the mood, and the existence of this mean talking duck all made me feel sick.

I haven't actually disliked an episode, but I know what you're getting at. I liked the Timothy Green episode... they did a good job deconstructing it... but you're right that the ambivalence made it a very different episode.

I think the Fast & Furious episodes and Punisher would have worked infinitely better for me had I seen the movies. And I know I should see them. Drive Angry and Crank 2, however, worked just fine without the viewing experience, because of how demonstrably insane they are.

I'd argue that the weakest episodes are the ones where the movie was simply bad in an uninteresting way. This is kind of the worst case scenario for them. The Tourist, Battlefield Earth, Last Airbender, maybe Godzilla, possibly Leprechaun In the Hood and Joyful Noise.

Jeremy Blackman

Alright, that inspired me to post my top five. I've listened to every episode at least twice (except today's episode I guess) and put an embarrassing amount of thought into this.

1. Howard the Duck (#65, Live show with Kristen Schaal)

It would be intellectually dishonest to put this anywhere below #1. I know it's kind of early, but this one is going to stand the test of time. It has everything in great quantities. This is unquestionably June's best episode, and one of Jason's better live performances. It's 89 minutes of joyful insanity. A tour de force of deconstruction.

2. Sleepaway Camp (#48 with Zack Pearlman)

As Polka said, this episode is in a whole world of its own. It takes everything in their power to break things down, but with this film their analytic skills hit something of a brick wall. The results are sort of mindblowing.

3. From Justin To Kelly (#57, Live show with Nick Kroll)

Jason is in absolute top form in this live episode, and that's really all it needs to become a classic. In some live episodes he tries a little too hard (Anaconda), but he gets it just right in this one. Also features the most thorough and engaging wardrobe discussion of any episode.

4. Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot (#61 with Kate Spencer)

This is definitely one of the most fascinating episodes they've done. They discuss screenwriting theory, gender politics of the early 90s, suicide fixation, the sexualization of babies, and the movie's many oedipal themes. Plus a few things I dare not spoil.

5. Barb Wire (#46 with Jesse Thorn)

I'm pretty sure Jesse Thorn is my favorite HDTGM guest. He's sharp as a tack, as they say, throughout. But June shines in this one too. The feminist discussion (which sort of spans the whole episode) — or as Jesse Thorn calls it, "Barb Wire in conversation with Naomi Klein" — is priceless.

Reel

I agree that Howard The Duck is their best episode. I've never heard anyone have that much fun talking about a movie ( when they found the clip of Howard trying to fly was probably the highlight. ) The audience was also in top form. This show is infectious. Not only does it make me want to watch these terrible movies that I wouldn't normally give a second glance to, I actually wish I was a part of it, and that I could talk to my friends about movies like these guys do. I wonder if we can figure out some xixax equivalent, where we all agree to watch some piece of trash and try to break down its logic. It would have to be one that they haven't covered on the show, but could or should have been. Would it work in text form? Think about it, start pitching some possible candidates. I can't come up with any now, I'll have a few later...

JB, you said you've listened to every episode twice? Does that mean you've seen all the movies too? You're a loon.

Jeremy Blackman

I have seen very few of the movies. Certainly less than 10. Mostly during my childhood and/or against my will. I haven't actually watched any in preparation for the podcast. I might have to start doing that, though.

It's funny, I've never really been a fan of watching bad movies. What I love about the podcast is the deconstruction; it just happens that these disastrous and insane movies seem to provide the deepest well.

Coincidentally, this topic was explored on the latest Judge John Hodgman. And I mostly feel the way he does. To make a bad movie worthwhile, you need what he calls "stagecraft," whether that's MST3K, a group of friends actively participating, or a podcast like this one. And, with only a few exceptions, HDTGM does such a great job conveying the movies in a concrete way that I don't feel the need to watch them.

As for a Xixax incarnation, I don't know, maybe. Perhaps a live shoutboxing would be interesting. Or maybe it's better to chat in some other format so people can more easily chime in on their tablets or whatever, then we could copy and post it on the forum later. It might be worth trying out if we could find an especially good candidate.

BB

Reel

Stand Up Guys
Straw Dogs (2011)
The Green Hornet
Cop Out

polkablues

McTiernan's Rollerball remake
Highlander 2
or GTFO
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Sharknado.

I have very little doubt that HDTGM will be covering this movie. Let's beat 'em to the punch!

Jeremy Blackman

I'm not sure something that self-aware would work. Much like Birdemic 2, from what I've read.

Reel

Yeah, I didn't get around to watching it anyway. We'll think of something!

I was scrolling through Polka's old posts to give him some speckt and I noticed this:

from "Worst Films of 2002"

Quote from: polkablues on January 23, 2003, 02:21:43 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... ROLLERBALL!!!!!!!!!!!

By far the worst of 2002, and probably the worst since Highlander 2.  Rollerball brings new shame to the filmic medium.  I'm thinking of buying the DVD.

guess I'll mark those down as two more I need to see  :roll: if you really haven't changed your mind in a whole decade

EDIT: Just bought the DVD at a garagle for 50 cent. LET'S DO THIS!!!!

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on July 11, 2013, 04:18:21 PMSharknado.

I have very little doubt that HDTGM will be covering this movie. Let's beat 'em to the punch!

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 11, 2013, 04:47:29 PM
I'm not sure something that self-aware would work.

I think I owe you $5 or something.

mogwai

Quote from: Reelist on June 28, 2013, 09:10:10 AM
I agree that Howard The Duck is their best episode. I've never heard anyone have that much fun talking about a movie ( when they found the clip of Howard trying to fly was probably the highlight. ) The audience was also in top form. This show is infectious. Not only does it make me want to watch these terrible movies that I wouldn't normally give a second glance to, I actually wish I was a part of it, and that I could talk to my friends about movies like these guys do. I wonder if we can figure out some xixax equivalent, where we all agree to watch some piece of trash and try to break down its logic. It would have to be one that they haven't covered on the show, but could or should have been. Would it work in text form? Think about it, start pitching some possible candidates. I can't come up with any now, I'll have a few later...

JB, you said you've listened to every episode twice? Does that mean you've seen all the movies too? You're a loon.

What did the guy in the audience say which made everyone in the room roar with laughter? It's when one of the hosts start sing a bit of Queen's "We are the champions". The episode in question is the "Howard the duck" one.

Jeremy Blackman

I think that was a duck pun. Not a great one but it was well-timed and unexpected.

mogwai

The director of Jaws - The Revenge, Joseph Sargent is interviewed on the prequel episode 69. Short but funny.