How Did This Get Made? (Podcast)

Started by cinemanarchist, December 22, 2010, 09:56:14 AM

cinemanarchist

How Did This Get Made?

Paul Scheer and friends discuss terrible movies. Much hilarity ensues.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-get-made
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Reel

Quote from: cinemanarkissed on December 22, 2010, 09:56:14 AM

How Did This Get Made?

Paul Scheer and friends discuss terrible movies. Much hilarity ensues.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-get-made

Yes, I have to second that this is a very entertaining podcast. Saves you from watching a ton of crap movies without missing out on the fun of dissecting their awfulness. Though you'll probably want to watch some of them so you'll be able to join in. My favorite one so far was on 'Leprechaun in the Hood', I never thought I'd be able to appreciate the fact I spent $5 to rent that movie until now.

polkablues

How Did This Get Made? is just a compendium of movies Reelist has seen off my recommendation.
My house, my rules, my coffee

mogwai

Quote from: polkablues on September 23, 2012, 08:30:30 PM
How Did This Get Made? is just a compendium of movies Reelist has seen off my recommendation.

Listening to their "Jaws 4 - The Revenge" review made my day yesterday.

polkablues

The "Tiptoes" episode is my favorite, and one of the few that's just as good if you haven't seen the movie.

Reel

I think my favorite is the Gigli episode, only because it nearly accomplished the impossible task of getting me to watch 'Gigli' ( made it about an hour in. that movie is AIDS )

There are so many back episodes I still haven't listened to. I love when that happens.

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on September 29, 2012, 12:03:18 PM
I think my favorite is the Gigli episode, only because it nearly accomplished the impossible task of getting me to watch 'Gigli' ( made it about an hour in. that movie is AIDS )

Can't blame me for that one.

Reel

Quote from: Christian on September 23, 2012, 09:40:53 PM
Listening to their "Jaws 4 - The Revenge" review made my day yesterday.

Great episode! I highly recommend it. So many funny parts, I definitely need to see Jaws 4.

You guys will LOVE when they say PTA ripped off the original introduction for the opening of Magnolia

"you know PTA, he only steals from the best" .. HAHA

Jaws 4: The Revenge

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on January 22, 2013, 11:18:09 AMThis should be hilarious. How Did This Get Made? does 'The Odd Life Of Timothy Green' with Tim Heidecker.

P, if you only ever listen to one movie podcast, I'd say that be it.

I started listening to How Did This Get Made about a week ago, and I can't stop. I don't know why. It's just really infectious.

I have a pretty low tolerance for annoying/grating people in podcasts, and Jason Mantzoukas comes close, but for whatever reason he doesn't quite cross that line and I enjoy listening to him. Even though he has a tendency to pick from a handful of words and phrases. On paper, it should tire me to hear him call every movie "next-level bonkers" and to hear Paul cry out "it makes... no... sense!" at least 5 times per podcast. But I can't stop listening.

I watched the first several episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV (which Paul Scheer created), and it's fantastic.

Then I watched an episode of The League, and that was less impressive, though Paul and Jason are both quite good in it, and definitely the highlights of that particular episode (S2E1).

I also realized that Jason Mantzoukas is in Enlightened.

Reel

Thanks for reminding me there's a new one up today. What's your favorite so far?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on March 19, 2013, 04:54:45 PM
Thanks for reminding me there's a new one up today. What's your favorite so far?

Hmm... Maybe From Justin To Kelly or The Wicker Man or The Devil's Advocate. I'm not sure. They're all kind of blending together. At first I picked out random episodes that interested me, but now I've just started from the beginning.

I do wish they'd give their guests more room to talk sometimes. It's like everyone gets excited and talks over each other.

polkablues

Sleepaway Camp. That episode is in a whole world of its own.

mogwai

Jaws 4 the revenge is my favorite so far. Devils advocate comes second.

"STOP! Reset!" :yabbse-grin:

©brad

I gave "Devil's Advocate" a try based on y'alls reco's and it was indeed very funny. Maybe a tad long but I laughed more than I usually do on podcasts.

Quote from: Christian on March 20, 2013, 11:36:24 AM
"STOP! Reset!" :yabbse-grin:

Okay so Tony Gilroy wrote the latest drafts of Devil's Advocate and "stop, reset" is something you'll find in his other scripts. In Michael Clayton, Tom Wilkinson says it during one of his rants. Also Gilroy will often use "stop, reset" as direction for dialogue if a character needs to reassess a situation. It's funny how writers grab onto certain turns of phrase and reuse them again and again. Hearing them make fun of it on the podcast was hysterical. I also liked how they spent 2 hours trashing the movie only to all admit they loved it (or more hate-loved it). Devil's Advocate is batshit insane but a lot of fun. It's one of those always-on-TV-yet-impossible-to-turn-off movies (like The Shining, Goodfellas, Clueless, Mean Girls, etc).

Jeremy Blackman

This deserves its own thread...

Anyway, I heard Paul mention in a prequel episode that he and June are married. I was not expecting that.