If Matt Does a Music Video, He'll Put It Here

Started by matt35mm, February 24, 2013, 12:23:22 AM

matt35mm

"Quilts" - LRN GRN

I'm gonna try to start getting into this lucrative music video business. This is my first one. Hopefully I'll do several this year and get pretty good at it by next year.

72teeth

Reminds me of early Jonze, like his Cannonball video or Sure Shot..

no huge concept or story, just clever shots and friends having fun.. and it shows!

Pretty kitty too! Good job man! Looking forward to the next one!
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

jenkins

let's see here

fancy lighter trick
club
club lighting
pizza
montage
daisies
kissing
silhouettes (that's how you spell that word??)
leather jay
downing a shot
cat
lovers on the bridge
large knife
[some type of big gun]
sunglasses (at night!)
brownbagging
pistol
reckless driving
sticking head out sunroof
flares
[idk the movie where the hut explodes]

phew. you ticked some fucking boxes my friend. that's some straight zeitgeist cannibalization.

good job, i liked it. feel like we'd get along irl

Pubrick

video's way better than the song. you done good.

where's the footage in the back from?
under the paving stones.

Reel

I'm glad that girl got over her stomach ailment

matt35mm

Thanks for the kind words!

The exploding cabin footage at the end is from Ken Russell's MAHLER. That's the first scene of the movie! The other movies are (as has been recognized) DAISIES and THE LOVERS ON THE BRIDGE.

I've been working on multiple projects and each one is a sort-of response to the others. The others had been very planned and one in particular has a fairly controlled style, so the idea for this video was to pretty much wing it and improv everything. There are pros and cons to that method but it feels good to do after doing so much planning for other projects. And probably as a response to this video, the next music video I do will be a lot more controlled.

Pubrick

you're not actually allowed to use that footage though right?

that video is never going to be screened outside of the internet because of that reason amirite?

we're not allowed to use whatever footage we feel like in any way we want.. am i wrong?
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

There are "Fair Use" copyright laws, though they are hazy, that say it may be okay to have other copyrighted works within your video to some degree.

But anyway, I'm not concerned, because this video is only intended for the internet (there aren't really any better venues outside of the internet for music videos anyway), and they're not particularly recognizable clips for anyone except for super movie nerds. Whoever owns the rights to those films would doubtfully ever see this, or be hurt by this, or even if they did see it, they wouldn't be litigious about it. And even if I used a clip from a major movie, and the studio found out, they'd almost definitely just ask me to take it down (cease and desist).

For what I'm doing, and for what those movies are and how they're used, I'm not worried about it.

Jeremy Blackman

I've always kind of wanted a clear answer on that. Does it mostly depend on how much the original work is modified and repurposed?

If you think your music video challenges copyright laws, watch this one:

polkablues

There's not a hard and fast rule of thumb regarding fair use of visual media, but the main factors a judge would look at in a dispute would be: is the material repurposed or simply reproduced in the same form for the same purpose; is the value of using the material in the new work greater than the harm imposed on the copyright holder; is the amount of the copyrighted material used reasonable or excessive? And all of this is dependent on actual harm to the copyright holder.

Of course, that just means it's unlikely Matt could be successfully sued for this; YouTube and the like are beholden to their own terms of service, which typically requires nothing more than a claim being made in order to pull a video from their site.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

From my understanding, though i agree with what Polkablues has said, I'm pretty sure that "Fair Use" can pertain to the spontaneus use of another's work. Otherwise you had it in your capacity to contact the individual and ask them for their permission etc. 
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

Fair Use is regarded as an extension of our First Amendment rights, though, superseding copyright laws.  If your use of something falls under the definition of fair use, no permission is necessary.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

I thought the Fair Use Doctrine was an actual provision of copyright law?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.