Andrzej Zulawski

Started by wilder, January 15, 2013, 12:39:37 AM

wilder

Andrzej Zulawski's La Note Bleue Prepped for Blu-ray
via blu-ray.com

Independent U.S. distributors Mondo Vision have revealed that they are planning to release on Blu-ray director Andrzej Zulawski's film La Note Bleue (1991), starring Sophie Marceau, Marie-France Pisier, Janusz Olejniczak, Féodor Atkine, and Aurélien Recoing.

Supplemental features, technical specs, and the official release date for this upcoming release are expected to be revealed soon.

Synopsis: Andrzej Zulawski's La Note Bleue can be called an event. This is probably the first time that a director has, in all humility, treated the life of a composer – Chopin in this instance – without sacrificing any of his ambitions as a filmmaker. In others words, not for a single moment does he attempt to appropriate or put to his own use the music he is filming. He directs it, and perhaps illustrates it, but in no way reduces it.

In La Note Bleue the music therefore serves neither as an excuse nor as a foil. It quite simply is. Invisible by nature, and yet terribly present. Mazurka, Nocturne, Funeral March... Notes heard time and again, but which here regain all their strength, ardor, and virtuosity. New notes altogether, it might seem, and yet profoundly melancholy. Paul Claudel declared "the eye can listen." La Note Bleue proves him to be right, whispering to us that the "ear can see.

wilder

Four clips from Zulawski's forthcoming Cosmos:

One

Two

Three

Four

This actress Victória Guerra looks amazing

wilder

OpO1832

Mel

Polish film director Andrzej Zulawski dies at 75 via Global Post

Polish art-house film director Andrzej Zulawski died on Wednesday at the age of 75 after a long battle with cancer, his family said.

"My father died in the early hours of Wednesday, at a hospital in Poland. He had no chance of survival," his son and fellow director Xawery Zulawski told AFP.

"He had projects in the works but the choice had been made: death. He didn't fight it, he didn't want to fight it."

Xawery had posted on Facebook on Tuesday that Zulawski was "terminally ill with cancer".

The actor, writer and director of several French films had just released his last film Cosmos in 2015, which won him the best director award at the Locarno film festival in Switzerland.

Zulawski was "a very original artist, sometimes controversial but always true to himself", Polish Filmmakers Association president Jacek Bromski told Polish broadcaster Polsat.

Born in occupied Poland in 1940, Zulawski left for Paris at the age of five with his parents and later studied at the Sorbonne.

His films had a good dose of nihilism, savage eroticism and hopelessness, which he attributed in a 2004 Paris Match interview to being born during World War II.

"Going into the war my family numbered 40 people, afterwards there were three... My younger sister died of hunger," he told the magazine.

"As a kid I saw things that I never should have seen. It's undoubtedly what gave me the sense that every day is a miracle."

Zulawski is survived by three children, including a son with French actress Sophie Marceau. They separated in 2001.

"It's a huge loss for Polish and world cinema," Polish film critic Janusz Wroblewski told AFP.

"His films are considered cinema classics, but at the time they were avant-garde," he said of the director of "The Third Part of the Night" (1971) and "The Devil" (1972).

"He was provocative, breaking many Polish stereotypes and introducing eroticism in his films."
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

tragic, but what an amazing life he lead. we were to have had him for as long as we did.
rock in peace, andrzej.

wilder

Oh no...this one saddens me. We're lucky to have a swan song on the way, though.

Quote from: 03 on February 17, 2016, 12:02:42 PM
rock in peace, andrzej.

Beautiful, fitting.

jenkins

Cosmos is Zulawski's Inherent Vice, in terms of he wrote the adaptation of the Witold Gombrowicz novel. it's a strong finish for his career through these ingredients alone.

wilder

Film Comment on Zulawski

-Cosmos (2015) premieres at Lincoln Center @ 6:30pm tomorrow (sold out)
-The Third Part of the Night (1972) screens tomorrow at @ 9:15pm
-The Devil (1972) screens Saturday Feb 20 @ 1pm
-On the Silver Globe (1988) screen Saturday Feb 20 @ 3:30pm

wilder

Trailer for the new restoration of Zulawski's The Devil (1972).

wilder

Zulawski's La Note Bleue (1991) is supposedly being released on February 17th from Mondo Vision and will be available to pre-oder from Toufaan within the next few days

Ailing composer Frederic Chopin (Janusz Olejniczak) cannot choose between author George Sand (Marie-France Pisier) and her daughter (Sophie Marceau).

Ghostboy

Need an On The Silver Globe blu-ray release ASAP. Can't get that movie out of my head.

wilder

The restoration of On the Silver Globe is streaming for free for the next 5 days

wilder

June 16, 2020

L'important c'est d'aimer (1975) is coming to blu-ray from Film Movement. Available for pre-order from DiabolikDVD

Servais (Fabio Testi), a reporter and photographer, meets Nadine Chevalier (Romy Schneider), an actress who is forced to earn her living by accepting roles unworthy of her real talent. She is married to Jacques (Jacques Dutronc), a delightful sort of disenchanted clown who runs away from the realities of life. Nadine and Servais soon discover how important their encounter was and neither one of them wants to dismiss it as a mere fling.

Quote from: wilder on June 11, 2019, 01:26:56 AMThe restoration of On the Silver Globe is streaming for free for the next 5 days

It's still streaming !

wilder

Quote from: Criterion Forum member JonathanKSome good news for Zulawski fans... Reached out to Mondo Vision for an update and they confirmed that after taking some time off since Zulawski's passing, they have now begun working on the Polish Trilogy and are also preparing a 4K edition of Possession with possibility of a "disc upgrade program" in place for those who have purchased the original Limited Edition. When asked if they would continue their Limited Edition trend with the Polish Trilogy I did not get a straight answer but was told "we are weighing all options at this point, it would either come as a boxset or individual releases". Apparently they are sitting on ton of extras recorded with Zulawski while he was still alive...