The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Started by MacGuffin, November 01, 2012, 02:56:54 PM

MacGuffin

Jamie Foxx To Play Electro In 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'
Source: Playlist

Damn, now this is how you raise the game for a sequel. With plans already underway ***spoiler alert*** to kill off Emma Stone's (Gwen Stacy) in order to match the tragic arc in the comics, ***end spoiler*** the folks behind the second installment of "The Amazing Spider-Man" trilogy have bagged a helluva name to go toe-to-toe with Peter Parker.

Jamie Foxx is in early talks to play Electro in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." As folks already know, the character was (kinda clunkily) teased at the end of "The Amazing Spider-Man," when some lightning flashes were the tease that the villain was on the way. With this "untold story" already hewing close to the comics anyway, it'll be interesting to see what narrative they stick to -- Peter Parker being accused of being the alter ego of the villain; J. Jonah Jameson hiring Electro to bring down Spider-Man; Electro trying to take over the New York City powergrid -- but really, they have a lot of threads to choose from.

But as far as casting goes? Yep, we like. From playing Django in "Django Unchined," to the President in "White House Down" and now this, we're going to be seeing Foxx, in a some pretty different roles and it's certainly a big profile boost for him. With Shailene Woodley slated for Mary Jane, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone set to return, production begins next spring and the sequel lands on May 2, 2014. Marc Webb directs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Of all the actors for the Playlist to suddenly get a boner for, Jamie Foxx?
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Paul Giamatti in Talks to Play The Rhino in 'Spider-Man 2' (Exclusive)
Felicity Jones is also in negotiations to join the Sony sequel.
Source: THR

Paul Giamatti is in talks to join The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to play the villain known as The Rhino while Felicity Jones also is negotiating for an unspecified role.

The duo will bolster an already impressive cast. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are back as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy, Jamie Foxx is portraying bad guy Electro, Shailene Woodley is Mary Jane Watson and Dane DeHaan is Harry Osborne.

The Rhino first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #41 in 1966 as a thug from a Soviet Block country who wore a superhuman suit that made him invulnerable while giving him super-strength and super-speed. It also had a deadly horn on top. 

In more recent comics, he became a sympathetic figure who found himself allying with Spider-Man.

The character that Jones would play has not been revealed.

The role is a dream part for Giamatti, who in the past has said the Rhino was one of his favorite characters when he was a boy.

"I thought Rhino was the greatest thing when I was a little kid," he told ShowbizSpy in March 2011. "It was a guy who was basically in this rhinoceros outfit and I always thought, 'Why don't they have The Rhino in one of their movies,' but maybe The Rhino wasn't that big of a deal for anybody but me...If they ever go with The Rhino I would be ready and waiting."

Around the same time he was also on Late Night with Conan O'Brien where he talked about the character: "The Rhino was fantastic. He was, like, a Russian guy. He was real fast and he hit stuff real hard.

The sequel, being directed by Marc Webb, is eyeing a February production start.

Giamatti last appeared in Rock of Ages and is currently shooting the JFK drama Parkland with Zac Efron and Jacki Weaver. He is repped by UTA, Kipperman Management and Sloane Offer.

British actress Jones may be best known for starring in Sundance darling Like Crazy and also appeared in Hysteria, the period romantic comedy about the invention of the first vibrator.  She is repped by WME and Jodi Peikoff Law.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jamie Foxx was spotted in his freaky costume as the villain Electro on Monday as he filmed The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in Times Square.

In the Spider-Man franchise, Electro is the evil alias of Maxwell Dillon, an engineer who gained the ability to control electricity after he was struck by lightning while fixing a power line.

Foxx told Blackfilm.com in December that the costume was not going to be at all like the green-and-yellow getup the character normally wears.

"It will be a different color. They (the producers) want something for the future," he said. "They want to have it more grounded and not as comic book-y, so it won't be green and yellow. They want to try new things, like a liquid rubber and things like that, and there are all these bolts and stuff in my arms when they are hanging me upside down and trying to figure out what happen."

The follow-up to last year's The Amazing Spider-Man is set to open in the summer of 2014.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

The bejeweled hoodies are definitely a bold choice.

Lottery

Argh, trainwreck franchise. I mean, come on, the first one already was pretty weak.

EDIT:

Though the third one should have potential for some fantastic tragedy. If they have the balls.

admin tip: deleted superfluous post, next time click on "modify" to edit

MacGuffin

Shailene Woodley Cut From 'Amazing Spider-Man 2'
Source: THR

Shailene Woodley will not appear in Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and neither will her character, Mary Jane Watson, THR has confirmed.

Woodley's appearance in Spider-Man 2 always was intended to be brief – the actress only worked three days and shot around three scenes – but sources say director Marc Webb decided to streamline the story.

"I made a creative decision to streamline the story and focus on Peter and Gwen and their relationship," said Webb. "Shailene is an incredibly talented actress, and while we only shot a few scenes with Mary Jane, we all love working with her."

The plan now is for Watson, one of Peter Parker/Spider-Man's iconic love interests, to be introduced in the third movie.

It is likely that Woodley will not return and that the part will be recast.

"Of course I'm bummed," Woodley told Entertainment Weekly, which first reported the news. "But I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a specific reason. ... Based on the proposed plot, I completely understand holding off on introducing [Mary Jane] until the next film."

The studio earlier this week planted the flag for the third and fourth Spider-Man installments, dating the movies June 10, 2016, and May 4, 2018.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Hey that was a really cool emulation of what superhero movie trailers have been like lately. Good job!

polkablues

I increasingly get that feeling with each new trailer. This one, the last Iron Man, the last Thor, the Captain America sequel... like "Yep, that's what a superhero movie looks like."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Just Withnail

Peter Parker has a Blow-Up poster in his room. Which means that someone working on this movie knows Antonioni exists. That must be tough...

Mel

Quote from: Just Withnail on December 06, 2013, 03:37:51 AM
Peter Parker has a Blow-Up poster in his room. Which means that someone working on this movie knows Antonioni exists. That must be tough...

...or someone googled for a film, where main character is photographer? Having such poster is proper for Peter.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I don't watch a whole lot of superhero movies, but I liked this better than the other Marvel movies. I know Avengers is cooler and Cap America 2 is a better movie, but I like this movie's sincerity and I just like a superhero who still seems interested in saving people moreso than beating up bad guys. I also think 3D is saving us partially from shoddy effects because now the shading and the rendering don't have to be as precise in order to convince the viewers that what they are watching is three dimensional.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton