vincent gallo

Started by writedownhere, April 18, 2003, 05:24:03 AM

Ernie

Quote from: Slick ShoesI'll be seeing this for sure. The trailer won me over. I'm definitely gonna have to watch Buffalo 66 again, just for good measure. On a side note, I thought Vincent Gallo was wonderful in Arizona Dream. When I saw it I could hardly believe it was him. Just a great performance.

I love love LOVE Arizona Dream man, that's one of the best unknowns that exists right now. I have to agree about the trailer too....I definitely wanted to see this before I saw the trailer but it actually makes me believe that I might actually LIKE it...can you imagine? I don't see at this point how it could be a bad film. Vincent Gallo is a genius. Long live Buffalo '66 and Arizona Dream, they are modern masterpieces.

pookiethecat

i just read that interview.  some parts were fucking hilarious.

i like how he says something outrageously egotistical then kind of comments on his own egotism with a comment like 'you have good taste."  that's witty.

i also like how he says "thanks, handsome."

there's something rather endearing about the fact that he bashes everyone.  it's as if he's firmly establishing his utter status as an outsider, which i find endearing and actually anti-egotistical.

though isn't it weird that he claims to hate chloe sevigny yet casts her in brown bunny?
i wanna lick 'em.

Exodus 8:2

i heard that brown bunny was banned because of a fellatio scene, is this true?
Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Pubrick

Quote from: Exodus 8:2i heard that brown bunny was banned because of a fellatio scene, is this true?
banned where?

if so, was Romance banned as well when it came out?
under the paving stones.

ono

No and no, as far as I know.  There may have been a fuss, but IMDb doesn't say anything about banning that I can see.

Stefen

it was probably banned because it's a terrible movie. Buffallo 66 was a-okay in my book, but as far as i've heard Brown Bunny is awful. Fellatio is kind of great though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alethia

Quote from: StefenFellatio is kind of great though.

statement of the week

cine

Quote from: Stefenit was probably banned because it's a terrible movie. Buffallo 66 was a-okay in my book, but as far as i've heard Brown Bunny is awful.
Watch what you say. Big Brother Billy Brown is watching you...

Stefen

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Stefenit was probably banned because it's a terrible movie. Buffallo 66 was a-okay in my book, but as far as i've heard Brown Bunny is awful.

The Bills didn't even make the NFL playoffs. I'm the least of his worries.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

billybrown

Quote from: Stefen

Big Brother Billy Brown is indeed watching and it ain't got nada to do with the hapless Bills either. Have you seen the movie Stefen, with 2 e's and f? Stop hearing and commenting on what you know squat about, and start watching and thinking for yourself, you gaffer. Buffalo 66 was a personified masterpiece, so re-read your book.

Stefen

Quote from: billybrown

Big Brother Billy Brown is indeed watching and it ain't got nada to do with the hapless Bills either. Have you seen the movie Stefen, with 2 e's and f? Stop hearing and commenting on what you know squat about, and start watching and thinking for yourself, you gaffer. Buffalo 66 was a personified masterpiece, so re-read your book.

Buffallo 66 was lower than a-okay in my book. I was being nice. And no I have not seen Brown Bunny, why would I want to watch a crappy movie? Time is valuable homie.

soixante

Film needs people like Vincent Gallo, mavericks who stir up the shit and upset the status quo.  The Sex Pistols shook up the music industry in 1977, and Johnny Rotten showed no respect for precedent.  Andy Warhol shook up the art world in the 60's.  Directors like Gallo and Harmony Korine keep things fresh.
Music is your best entertainment value.

billybrown

Buffallo 66 was lower than a-okay in my book. I was being nice. And no I have not seen Brown Bunny, why would I want to watch a crappy movie? Time is valuable homie.

Stick to fluffing Ringo and learn to spell... Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo, not Buffallo you fooll.

Stefen

Stick to fluffing Ringo and learn to spell... Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo, not Buffallo you fooll.

It's spelled "fool" with one L. Not two like Buffallo.

godardian

I think what billybrown's point was before the discourse degenerated was that believing all the negative publicity about Brown Bunny is foolhardy. See the movie for yourself, then judge. Each and every movie is a potential waste of time; this is the price we pay for loving movies. The good ones make sifting through the bad ones well more than worthwhile. "Buzz," hearsay, rumor, and criticism are never acceptable substitutes for seeing the damn thing yourself and making up your own mind.

"It was probably banned because it was a terrible movie" doesn't make a lick of sense, in any case. Plenty of terrible movies are released to great popularity and acclaim. A movie's content may make distributors jumpy or restrict where and when it can be shown, but the content of a film getting people in an uproar merely distracts from the real issue, which of course is the quality of the film. Brown Bunny is one of those peculiar cases, but I for one am going to do everything in my power to judge the film on its merits AS A FILM when I see it. Not all the endless, (mostly) meaningless chatter that has surrounded it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.