vincent gallo

Started by writedownhere, April 18, 2003, 05:24:03 AM

cine

I can understand that. For me, though, I just can't be bothered with a film that is universally regarded as being that bad. Some people might say "Oh, well you MIGHT like it." or "Well, you shouldn't say that until you've seen it and can form a fair opinion." No, I don't care. I can't be bothered to take the time. I have no problem reading this thread to see what's said about it, because that at least is entertaining to me. But sitting through a shit film when I could be watching a good film or, again, watching paint dry, organizing blades of grass into threes, counting the lines on my palms, etc, is not something I'm about to do.

classical gas

i know what you're saying; and i wouldn't expect to like it, but it would be a historical event for bad films, like watching an ed wood movie...

cine

You had a good point until you referenced Ed Wood. I feel that his films are a different kind of bad. I don't think his films are offensive, tasteless, or downright filthy. THAT is the kind of film I don't want to be bothered with. Ed Wood's movies are fun to watch even if they are technically very bad movies. Do you see what I mean?

classical gas

no, you're right; i guess bad movies in general interest me, when they're (supposedly)extremely bad...

godardian

Quote from: Cinephileoffensive, tasteless, or downright filthy.

I suspect you don't share my appreciation for a brilliant little gem called Female Trouble, by John Waters...

I'll gladly go see The Brown Bunny. I liked Buffalo '66, and I think I'd like to form my own opinion of the new one.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

billybrown

cinephile wrote:

The scathing reviews have made me vow never to see this film. I don't want to waste 90-120 minutes of my life watching something that I KNOW I'll feel is a piece of shit afterward. I have other things I can be doing, like watching paint dry.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not one to typically engage in or care to reply to comments I find completely ludicrous and off-base, but alas I must make an exception to this because it is soo bothersome.  :x

Now, not wanting to be confrontational or combatative, I'll try to refrain from outright insults and go like this: There is nothing wrong with a person not wanting to see a particular film or listen to a certain record, etc., etc., but when someone makes a point of not wanting, even going as far as "vowing" not to do this or that becuase of what some douchebag "critics" are saying- especially at a film fest the likes of Cannes, yikes- is just dumbass. For my money, Vincent Gallo is a supremely talented ARTist in a day and age when the very notion of art and originality is sickly compromised by commerce and mainstream catch phrases people use to be negative towards things that can not be easily appreciated or rooted for in a Spielbergian kind of way. Buffalo 66 is easily one of the most important and soulful films to emerge from the 90's. It has such a clear, beautiful, and transcendent visual quality that is seldom seen. It is an artist at his most indulgent, and when it works in total and complete harmony with an original aesthetic point of view, it is thoroughly representative of why film is the most powerful artistic medium we have. For this reason alone I will watch and look forward to watching The Brown Bunny before forming such an EXTREME opinion, be it positive or negative, because the artist Vincent Gallo has EARNED it, not some uninformed, failed critics, who are more often than not a failed artists. Vinny is obviously an easy target for many due to his outspoken, radical comments, but alas, I will ALWAYS give the benefit of the doubt first and foremost to the ARTIST I respect.

I don't know if you yourself are an aspiring filmmaker or artist of some kind, but I find it unbelievably comical and frightening that the work that someone may pour his/her heart and soul, time and energy into, will be so immediately negated and dismissed, solely based on the simplistic ramblings of some critic.

In closing, get over yourself... you and your time are not that important to the universe in the grand scheme of things that watching paint dry or farting under your covers or whatever else you do to pass the time, is more relevant than choosing your sched based on what people tell you, and you subsequently enacting as the law of your life. As Godardian said, form and base your opinions on what you may or may not think of something by and for yourself- it's only right.

Some FYI, since Cannes and the now completely edited and final version and proper print of The Brown Bunny showed at Vienna and Toronto, reviews have been very positive.  Maybe I'll share a few in another post. I say this only because you seem to put much stock into such things.

Apologies for this attack, but I had to because I felt the above comments from cinephile were so utterly asanine. With a name like that, you'd think that you'd actually be a watcher of films before forming such strong points of view. Anyways, I'm tired or typing.... cheers!

Slick Shoes

I'll be seeing this for sure. The trailer won me over. I'm definitely gonna have to watch Buffalo 66 again, just for good measure. On a side note, I thought Vincent Gallo was wonderful in Arizona Dream. When I saw it I could hardly believe it was him. Just a great performance.

billybrown

In a lame, shameful attempt to get Vinnie Gallo back up to the top of this "Director's Chair" Index Forum, I've written this lil, inconsequential sentence with 3 commas. Cheers one and all!!!  :-D

SoNowThen

It's nice to see VG span some time at the top of the forum.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

soixante

The bottom line is, I enjoyed Buffalo 66, and I've been looking forward to Brown Bunny long before the Cannes debacle.  Whether critics loved it or dumped on it, I want to see it, just because Buffalo 66 was the work of a distinct artist.

I want to make up my own mind about Brown Bunny.  I love the road movies of the early 70's, and it sounds like a return to that sub-genre.

By the way, when is this film getting released in the U.S.?
Music is your best entertainment value.

billybrown

Quote from: soixanteThe bottom line is, I enjoyed Buffalo 66, and I've been looking forward to Brown Bunny long before the Cannes debacle.  Whether critics loved it or dumped on it, I want to see it, just because Buffalo 66 was the work of a distinct artist.

I want to make up my own mind about Brown Bunny.  I love the road movies of the early 70's, and it sounds like a return to that sub-genre.

By the way, when is this film getting released in the U.S.?

Unfortunately, as of now, there is no info as to when, if it all, it will be released in North America as I believe it's yet to pick up distribution. It may, infact be "the blue period" where Vinny and theatres "don't touch" each other. But alas, we can hope, and in the vein of moral victories, Vinny's back atop this Director's Forum, so it ain't all that bad.

billybrown

Quote from: SoNowThenIt's nice to see VG span some time at the top of the forum.

I heard from reliable sources that if VG wasn't spanning time atop this forum, he was gonna take a bite out of all our cheeks and shit us out... I kid you not.

Cecil

i cant wait to see the brown bunny, and perhaps be the first person ever to like it

Pubrick

maybe this new cut will be alrite.

welcome back, cecil. dude.. great timing.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Thank allah you're back, Cecil. This place went to hell without your caustic remarks.