vincent gallo

Started by writedownhere, April 18, 2003, 05:24:03 AM

SoNowThen

He's showing it at Cannes this week.

Yeah, ebs, I agree he is wrong about PTA & Fiona & Zooey, but I pretty much love to hear him cut down everyone else in that article.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThenHe's showing it at Cannes this week.

Yeah, ebs, I agree he is wrong about PTA & Fiona & Zooey, but I pretty much love to hear him cut down everyone else in that article.

when was this interview done it says 97 but who the fuck knew who zooey was back then ?????

and he also says paul and fiona, were they together back then

SoNowThen

He re-edited the interview in 2001, I think.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThenHe re-edited the interview in 2001, I think.

ohh i see , now this makes sense

by the way just so you guys know, by rattiling off everybodys name it makes it less explosive.

it was more or less a roast.

if he just said like a few names then that would be a insult, what he did was slam everybody so that way they can not get mad .

he is trying to create a image , its all a bit .

i mean i know he is un happy and hates a lot of people, but this article was just a joke. The only part i didnt get was how he knew who zoey was in 97 but now i know its a re edit

Sal

Hm, the Brown Bunny's premise sounds a lot like The Great Gatsby's.  Chasing the past and all.  Even the alliteration is evident to indicate Gallo may be drawing obvious parallels...

Looking forward to it.

edit:  Chloe's character is even *named* Daisy.  Oh could Gallo be any less explicit?

billybrown

Just a lil fyi since it's been sooo long a' coming... the film trailer for the Brown Bunny is available for viewage at www.galloappreciation.com.

Looks really cool and definitely a slice from the ordinary. Just by the trailer and from everything I've read, it seems like a film that's gonna be heavy on the minimalism and have that stark, poetic beauty that I completely love and am totally engaged with when watching a film.  Mood, atmosphere, and real soul and emotion- something that I think is sorely lacking in a lot of cinema in this day and age of cgi, big budgets, marketing, and demographics, and blah blah bullshit. Well, enough of my ranting... enjoy the trailer, and I'd love to hear what you folks all think. So here's hoping it gets distribution so it can be enjoyed on the big screen as it's meant to be.

Cheers Vinnie G and keep on truckin'!

Sal

I liked that quite a bit.  Had that nostalgic look to both panels.  Really loved the music too.  Totally evocative.  I look forward to seeing it.  I do think this is a "home" movie though...where you sit with your own thoughts and just drop into it.  I think movie theaters inhibit that.  Yeah its dark but you're in a public place and you can actually feel other people's tension in a theater.  That's sort of prohibitive to the enjoyment of a movie that goes very, very slowly.

SoNowThen

thanks billybrown

looks sweet. I hope I can see it soon....

Ghostboy

Stupid new Windows Media format won't play on Macs. I can hear the lovely music, though.

edison

pretty cool trailer, looking forward to this one, thanks for the link dude

classical gas

when is this movie coming out?  wasn't it considered the worst movie to ever play at cannes?  or am i thinking of something else?

cine

No no, the Brown Bunny was given the worst gradings in the history of Cannes.

classical gas

Quote from: CinephileNo no, the Brown Bunny was given the worst gradings in the history of Cannes.

have you seen it?  or anyone else?  i'm so intrigued...

cine

The scathing reviews have made me vow never to see this film. I don't want to waste 90-120 minutes of my life watching something that I KNOW I'll feel is a piece of shit afterward. I have other things I can be doing, like watching paint dry.

classical gas

yeah, but the worst grading movie at cannes, or however you put it; an art movie that is completely horrible, it makes me want to see it more than a blockbuster that i know will be bad.