vincent gallo

Started by writedownhere, April 18, 2003, 05:24:03 AM

children with angels

I get the feeling that it's all exactly what he feels - that's what I found so sad. Sure, he's dressing it up in a kind of ironic - very funny - way, but many of the people he mentioned, I know from elsewhere, he really does hate. He knows he's being a complete asshole - and hates himself for it partially - but he can't help himself: he's just consumed with spite and despair. He seems to be the most extreme example of simultaneous self loving and loathing I've ever come accross.

Not to repeat myself, but it does make me sad. Sad.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsI get the feeling that it's all exactly what he feels - that's what I found so sad. Sure, he's dressing it up in a kind of ironic - very funny - way, but many of the people he mentioned, I know from elsewhere, he really does hate. He knows he's being a complete asshole - and hates himself for it partially - but he can't help himself: he's just consumed with spite and despair. He seems to be the most extreme example of simultaneous self loving and loathing I've ever come accross.

Not to repeat myself, but it does make me sad. Sad.

Yeah, I liked Buffalo '66, and parts of the "interview" did make me laugh, but... you just ended up feeling much sorrier for him than for any of the people he was shitting on.

A much more lighthearted approach to the self-loving/loathing paradox can be found on any number of Smiths and/or Morrissey records.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Vince Gallo -- what can I say? I love the man. Hilarious stuff. This is a lot like another interview I read where he played both sides. He ragged on his ex for like half a page in it, saying after she broke up with him she went and gave half the town herpes. Funny. Too bad about the PTA hating, though. It always does make me sad when one person I respect so much hates another person I respect. Oh well. You gotta love his writing style, at least. Especially that cover letter to the editor.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

QuoteAnd what about the actress Zoey "Go Ahead and Blow Me" Deschanel, you fuckin' lying whore, I'll get you

Whoa, what the fuck is this all about!? Is he kidding!? That's definitely not cool...none of it of it cool...seriously. What's the story here? Who does he think he's talking about?

This really sucks, I really liked Vince before reading this. I will always love Buffalo 66. He has no right to say such things about such a beautiful woman though, no matter who he is or what she did to him. That is fucked.

That stuff about PTA and Fiona was messed up too, that's not fucking cool. I don't even know if I still like the guy. I used to really like him.

Gold Trumpet

That interview makes me dislike Gallo even more. Not because I find his views offensive, but because I think he is likely doing it for the press.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

...which is why it's so funny. No one else gives interviews like that.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

I don't find humor in it, but I realize no one else gives interviews like it. I guess if I wanted to find it funny, maybe he would be just self torturous only in a smart way and not just bash everyone else. I feel his originality in giving interviews like that would draw comparisons to an interview maybe Hitler gave on Hollywood today. Different, but mean spiritedness isn't funny.

~rougerum

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen...which is why it's so funny. No one else gives interviews like that.

It helps if you've seen Freeway 2, it really gives you enough perspective to just laugh. Too bad Steve Martin already used "Let's Get Small." I'm sure Gallo is at least trying to appear as if he's joking, though. I did laugh, but then I thought about how bloody miserable he must be, too. With no friends and everything.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

Hmmm, I wanna explain myself properly, and I don't think I am. I don't know what it is exactly about Gallo, but he just comes across as being so honest. I value honesty more than pleasantness. I really think he hates all those people he's ragging on. I mean, it's a free country, you're allowed to hate people. He had a bad time shooting with Abel Ferrera, so he called him a crack-head director. If someone asked me about an actress I shot with once, I would run her down, because she was an unprofessional hack. I dunno... I guess I just find mean spiritedness funny. I suppose if he was talking shit about me I'd get upset, so it's kinda hypocritical. But fuck.... I'd be Gallo's friend. If he'd let me. But I don't expect many people to like the guy, he is trying the best he can to be a dick.

SoNowThen

This post is going nowhere fast. Someone wanna talk about Brown Bunny? That's my most anticipated film of this year.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

wow back in 97 he was talking about Zoey Deschanel

does anyone else find that weird ?

Ghostboy

Not really. He talked about how he always liked Christina Ricci, back in the Addams Family movies. He's a creep. I hate some of the things he says, but he hasn't managed to piss me off yet. I love him.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenThis post is going nowhere fast. Someone wanna talk about Brown Bunny? That's my most anticipated film of this year.

Looks very interesting. I really like Sevigny, too, even though I know she's trendy as hell. I liked her in Map of the World, Last Days of Disco, and American Psycho a helluva lot more than I liked her in Kids.

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyNot really. He talked about how he always liked Christina Ricci, back in the Addams Family movies. He's a creep. I hate some of the things he says, but he hasn't managed to piss me off yet. I love him.

Ah, fuck it...I love the guy too. But seriously though...Zooey Deschanel, PTA, Fiona...is there a flaw to any of them? No. He is wrong, end of story.

Anyway-The Brown Bunny sounds cool. Any trailer yet? Release date? Reviews? What do we have?

godardian

Quote from: ebeaman

Anyway-The Brown Bunny sounds cool. Any trailer yet? Release date? Reviews? What do we have?

It looks to be still in production or maybe post. IMDB has very few details.