vincent gallo

Started by writedownhere, April 18, 2003, 05:24:03 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThen----

That confused me.

We should really stop this. Sphinx is going to cry.

SoNowThen

Didn't wanna put quotation marks because I wasn't sure if it was an exact quote, so I put the ----- as a marker between the movie dialogue and my comments.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm still confused
- - -

budgie

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SoNowThen----

That confused me.

We should really stop this. Sphinx is going to cry.

Good. Let it out, sphinx. If you start, everyone will join in and we'll all feel a lot better.

Pubrick

Quote from: budgieand we'll all feel a lot better.
i won't.
under the paving stones.

budgie

Quote from: P
Quote from: budgieand we'll all feel a lot better.
i won't.

have a nipple and be comforted

Pubrick

Quote from: budgiehave a nipple and be comforted
yes'm.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Well, in a vague attempt to get this back on track...Gallo's new movie, The Brown Bunny, will be premiering at Cannes. Here's the dish:

"It's the story of one man's tragic loss of the love of his life. He is Bud Clay. And he races motorcycles. He rides in the 250cc Formula II class of road racing. Round and round he goes, repeating laps over and over until the race is over. The story begins with Bud racing in New Hampshire. Bud's next race is in California in five Days. And so his journey begins across America. And everyday Bud is haunted by the same memories of the last time he saw his true love. Bud will do anything to make those memories disappear. And every day he tries to find a new love. Making outrageous requests of women to come with him on his trip and then leaving them behind after they've agreed. He can't replace Daisy, the only girl he's ever loved and the only girl he will ever love. But every day he tries."  

With a bit more from Variety here:

Maverick Filmmaker Gallo's picture concerns a young motorcycle racer's loss of the love of his life and promises to be one of this year's "scandales" based on a hardcore oral sex scene featuring Chloe Sevigny and Gallo

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Ghostboy

Maverick Filmmaker Gallo's picture concerns a young motorcycle racer's loss of the love of his life and promises to be one of this year's "scandales" based on a hardcore oral sex scene featuring Chloe Sevigny and Gallo

that sounds great!!!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

budgie

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: Ghostboy

that sounds great!!!!!

Jesus, not another one... there was all that fuss about Intimacy last year, the French keep churning out 'can you take it' kind of stuff... what a gimmick...

OK, P, I'm ready for the nipple-sucking close-up now.

chainsmoking insomniac

Buffalo '66 is one of my fave films.  His character's fucking hilarious.  And the guy who plays the father (Ben Gazzara) is great too.
Not to mention Ricci....ah.......

Anyway, this new flick does sound kinda gimmicky.  That Sevigny thing does.  The story sounds cool though.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pastor Parsley

The Gold Trumpet :  i can definitely understand your dislike for Gallo's character....he is an asshole.  i don't think the point of the story was, for you to all of a sudden like him, at the end.  
i think the point was that assholes are that way for a reason.  it's not a decision that someone makes one day..... "i'm going to be an asshole from now on."  people are shaped by tragic events they have no control over (like a father killing your childhood puppy, like a mother that hardley knows you exist, etc..).  to me Buff. 66 just showed that ....here's an asshole who, after knowing his history, we might understand why he is the way he is.  we don't have to feel sorry for him...i don't think the film even attempts to do that.  but we can at least see that his character is trying his best with what he has to work with.

meatwad

I actually enjoy Gallo in interviews. I think he is damn funny, and most of the stuff he says that make people think he is an asshole is true. Go to //www.buddyhead.com and read his interview from a few years back. It is Vincent Gallo interviewing himself.

//www.thestate22.com

children with angels

I absolutely love Buffalo 66 - it is my second favourite movie. I always knew Gallo was a self-obsessed, self-hating asshole (and he knows it), and always found him kind of funny and loved him for it. That interview was a genius idea, and did make me laugh a lot (especially all the moments when he calls himself Jesus) - but overall it made me so so sad...

What a sad sad sad man. He is so sad. He is so full of hate - and acknowledges it - he hates himself and the world, and pretty much everyone in it. How can someone who can make such a beautiful film and such beautiful music be so full of hate? I don't understand. I makes me sad. Sad.

It particularly made me sad to hear him lay into PTA (and Fiona). That made me very sad indeed. You'd like to think two people you love and admire so much would admire each other too. That was sad.

I've been made sad by that interview.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Ghostboy

That really is a funny and sad interview. I wonder how much of that hatred is real and how much is just in jest. It's a beautiful piece of writing.