Lynne Ramsay

Started by wilder, May 22, 2012, 06:42:42 PM

wilder

Natalie Portman to Star in Western 'Jane Got a Gun' for Director Lynne Ramsay
via The Hollywood Reporter

Natalie Portman is attached to star in and produce Jane Got a Gun, a Western written by Brian Duffield that popped up on the Black List of top screenplays. Lynne Ramsay is attached to direct.  The movie is still coming together, but sources say a bidding war has erupted in Cannes as CAA, which is packaging the project, has quietly shopped it around. Multiple financiers and foreign sales agents -- all of whom are gathered on the Croisette for the film festival and market -- are in the mix, along with several studios back in Los Angeles. The film could end up being financed by a combination of equity, studio money and foreign presales. People were looking at the project last week in Los Angeles, but the dealmaking moved to the South of France once the festival got underway. Ramsay was most recently in theaters with last year's acclaimed indie film We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Jane Got a Gun centers on a woman whose outlaw husband returns home riddled with bullet wounds and barely alive. When her husband's gang eventually tracks him down to finish the job, she is forced to reach out to an ex-lover and ask if he will help defend her farm.

wilder

Lynne Ramsay's Sci-Fi 'Moby Dick' Tale 'Mobius' Gets Backing
via The Playlist

Scott Pictures has come on board to produce and finance "Mobius" which is set to be directed by Ramsay from a script she co-wrote with Rory Kinnear. "It's more or less inspired by 'Moby Dick,' which is a fantastic novel, an American classic, but funnily enough a lot of people haven't read it. So I'm working on something loosely based on that," Ramsay said last fall. "And it's science-fiction, so we're taking the premise into the galaxy. So we're creating a whole new world, and a new alien. A very psychological piece, mainly taking place in the ship, a bit like 'Das Boot,' so it's quite claustrophobic." So basically, it sounds amazing.

In this new version of Herman Melville's tale, the story will again follow the captain of a ship, hellbent on revenge, this time leading his crew into outer space against an alien with dire consequences for all involved. But we'll have to wait a beat for this one to roll. As you might recall, Ramsay is also gearing up the western "Jane Got A Gun" with Natalie Portman and Michael Fassbender (fuck yes), and with that one aiming to shoot in late January, it will go first.

MacGuffin

SHOCKER: 'Jane Got A Gun' Loses Director Lynne Ramsay On First Day Of Production
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: When the cast and crew of the indie drama Jane Got A Gun showed up for the first day of production Monday in Sante Fe, they learned that director Lynne Ramsay was a no-show and had abruptly dropped out of the film. Among those who learned of her exit yesterday were Natalie Portman, who stars in the film and is producing with Scott Steindorff, Joel Edgerton, Jude Law and Rodrigo Santoro. Steindorff, who is financing the picture through his Scott Pictures label, confirmed the crisis and said they are determined to hold the picture together until they set a new director. He said that would happen imminently.

A lot of filmmakers step off projects and we chalk it up to creative differences, but I can't remember a situation when a filmmaker who developed a film didn't show up for work on the day it starts production. Clearly there was drama the weekend before, but this is pretty shocking. Not surprisingly, Steindorff indicated that there is a high level of acrimony here. He said that Ramsay has a pay or play deal, and that he has also retained litigator Marty Singer to keep his options open. The crew is still showing up to work and the project is still being cash flowed, with actors rehearsing scenes.

"I have millions of dollars invested, we're ready to shoot, we have a great script, crew and cast," Steindorff told Deadline. "I'm shocked and so disappointed someone would do this to 150 crew members who devoted so much time, energy, commitment and loyalty to a project, and then have the director not show up. It is insane somebody would do this to other people. I feel more for the crew and their families, but we are keeping the show going on, directors are flying in, and a replacement is imminent."

As for the prospect of legal ramifications, Steindorff said: "She was pay or play, and Marty Singer has been retained. My focus is on making this movie, but I will protect all my rights. This comes down to an irresponsible act by one person."

Ramsey, best known for directing We Need To Talk About Kevin, wasn't immediately available for comment, but I will update this as I learn more.

In the Brian Duffield-scripted drama, Portman plays the title character, a woman whose outlaw husband returns home riddled with bullets. Convinced his gang will return to finish him off and destroy her farm, the woman turns to an ex-lover she hasn't seen in a decade to help her defend the farm.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Robyn

Yeah, WTF!? I just hope this ends well for Lynne.

I wonder what happened. This is so weird.

MacGuffin

'Warrior' Helmer Gavin O'Connor Rides To Rescue On 'Jane Got A Gun'
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: When We Need To Talk About Kevin helmer Lynne Ramsay pulled a no-show and dropped out of helming Jane Got A Gun on the first day of shooting, producer and financier Scott Steindorff said they were determined to set a new director quickly and keep the picture from falling apart. Well, it looks like they've gotten themselves a good one. A deal is closing with Gavin O'Connor, the writer-director of Warrior, Pride And Glory, Miracle and Tumbleweeds. O'Connor will get the picture underway Thursday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Jude Law has dropped out, so they need to recast his part pronto too.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

matt35mm

I'm going to drop out of giving a shit about this movie now that Ramsay's not making it.

wilder

Lynne Ramsay Returns With 'You Were Never Really Here' Starring Joaquin Phoenix
via The Playlist

Joaquin Phoenix is attached to star in Ramsay's "You Were Never Really Here." The actor will play a damaged military war veteran, who now rescues women involved in sex trafficking. However, when a job goes wrong at a Manhattan brothel, he sets out on a path of vengeance in the face of violence and corruption.

Shughes

Nice Interview here:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/25/lynne-ramsay-director-you-were-never-really-here-observer-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw

I was also lucky enough to see You Were Never Really Here at Glasgow Film Festival last week and Ramsay did a Q&A after. In my opinion she is one of the least pretentious but most natural and informative speakers when talking about her work.

wilder

Lynne Ramsay's Says 'Polaris' Film Will Star Joaquin Phoenix & Rooney Mara; Is Adapting A Margaret Atwood Story
The Playlist

Scottish filmmaker Lynne Ramsay is reportedly going to be reuniting with her "You Were Never Really Here" star and Oscar-winner Joaquin Phoenix for a newly announced project titled "Polaris," with Phoenix's partner, actress Rooney Mara ("The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo") taking a role alongside him. Details on the new film are being kept under wraps, but Ramsay revealed the news herself.

The article also briefly mentions Ramsey will be developing two adaptions as feature films, Margaret Atwood's ("The Handmaid's Tale") short story the "Stone Mattress" and Stephen King's best-seller "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon." 

Atwood's short story was published by The New Yorker in 2011 and followed female protagonist Verna, a woman in her '60s. After several of her husbands die of "natural causes," she decides to take an Arctic cruise in an attempt to find a new partner, only to discover one of the passengers had raped her when she was fifteen years old and doesn't recognize her. So Verna now plans to kill him with a 1.9 billion old stromatolite.

The King novel focuses on a nine-year-old girl who gets lost on the Appalachian Trail. The only comfort is her portable radio— she's a huge fan of Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Tom Gordon and listens to baseball games on the radio fantasizing that Tom will save her.

wilder

January 25, 2022

Morvern Callar (2002) on blu-ray from Fun City Editions, restored in 2k from a 35mm interpositive

When Morvern Callar wakes up one Christmas morning to discover her boyfriend dead by suicide, it's the start of an unpredictable and unconventional process of self-transformation. Morvern's form of grieving will be bewildering and shocking to most. She keeps her boyfriend's death a secret. She passes off his just-finished novel as her own to publishers. She goes on holiday to Spain. Equal parts road movie and character study, Morvern Callar is as gripping and beautiful as it is dark and inscrutable.