Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

soixante

I think it is wrong to characterize Thin Red Line as a "go-nowhere, meandering" film.  It certainly goes somewhere -- the idyllic natural setting is despoiled by war.  Some of the soldiers die -- death is certainly the most dramatic character change of all.  One of the soldiers gets a "Dear John" letter from his wife -- if that ain't a dramatic arc, what is?  Nick Nolte's character comes to the realization that he is too ruthless, and allows a break for water to brought to the front lines.  All of the characters are changed, maybe even stained, by the madness of war.

This movie needs to be seen a few times to be appreciated.
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

Malick & Farrel Enter The New World
Source: Variety

Terrence Malick has abruptly walked off the biopic of Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara and instead committed to direct The New World, a New Line drama about Pocahontas and the cultural collision of European explorers and Native American tribes.

Colin Farrell has committed to play the explorer John Smith in the project, which has set a July production start date in Virginia, says Variety. The film will cost just north of $30 million, with New Line retaining world rights.

Malick will shelve Che, a film that was mobilizing for a July start in Bolivia with Benicio Del Toro set as the title character and Franka Potente, Javier Bardem, Benjamin Bratt and Ryan Gosling ready to play his lieutenants.

Malick, who co-wrote the Che script with Del Toro and Ben Vanderveen, has told the film's producers and financiers that he intends to return and direct the film in July 2005.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

noooooo ooooo oo    o

SoNowThen

Let's hope Malick dumps this new project as well, and gets on to something, well, more interesting to me.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: phil marlowenoooooo ooooo oo    o
..oooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo o oo  o oo o..

.............................  oOOOOooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO O
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinMalick has abruptly walked off the biopic of Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara and instead committed to direct The New World, a New Line drama about Pocahontas and the cultural collision of European explorers and Native American tribes.

Colin Farrell has committed to play the explorer John Smith in the project.
Prime example of what happens when the wife gets in the way.  :roll:

phil marlowe

i will be happy as long as it has a big ugly mexican in it as well

soixante

I see J. Lo as Pocahontas.  

In my opinion, I don't care what script Malick picks, he will put his imprint upon it.  There have already been movies about Che, this new project burrows into fertile, rarely trod-upon ground.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Stefen

Bummer. I was really looking forward to Che. I wish Colin Farrels 15 minutes were up.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: P
Quote from: phil marlowenoooooo ooooo oo    o
..oooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo o oo  o oo o..

.............................  oOOOOooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO O

oooooo :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :( ooooo :(  :(  :( o :(  :(  :( oo :(  :(  :( oo :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :( oooooooooo

Pedro

MacGuffin

"Che" Still Causing Trouble

Che Guevara is causing yet another furor albeit long after the Cuban revolutionary's real life struggles. A small storm is brewing amongst distributors and Wild Bunch Productions due to Director Terrence Malick's sudden pullout of the bio pic that was scheduled to get underway in July.

The basic situation according to Variety, is that Wild Bunch raised $15 million in pre-sales from distributors around the world for "Che" at the American Film Market. Wild Bunch head Vincent Maraval says "At AFM, Malick met and talked to independent distributors about 'Che,' and for many of them, it was the only film they bought at the market. Malick with Benicio Del Toro as Che Guevara was everyone's dream film. This is a catastrophe for them".

With Malick's departure, it has caused all sorts of problems for the company, so much so that lawsuits are likely to be launched soon. Maraval is understandbly not happy about the situation - "When everything came together, I think he [Malick] got cold feet at the prospect of going to the Bolivian jungle and actually shooting it. But he has a written and moral commitment to make the film. It is totally irresponsible to pull out now...We may take out an injunction - which will prevent him from making any other film until the matter is settled...We will also be seeking damages. In terms of our image, this is catastrophic. Our reputation is founded on our reliability. and we've never failed to deliver a film before".

Malick left the project on Friday saying that he had committed to helm New Line's drama about the Pocohantas legend "The New World". That film is scheduled to begin shooting in Virginia in July, and would star Irish bad boy Colin Farrell as the famed explorer John Smith.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

......damn, i was just thinking.....which doesn't happen often ---but for a guy..(Malick) who  directed only three films......which are mores critical arthouse kind of films IMO ......but its neat to see the studio get so distraught over losing a director whose doesn't bring the boxoffice $$$$$$......it makes me believd that its all about the art rather than the $$$$ in most cases...and as for his poco-biopic ......it should be the sh*t .....b/c everything this guy touiches its gold man......and his films get better and better..........as he goes along...

mutinyco

Well...there IS another film about Che that's going to be released shortly with Gael Garcia Bernal. Perhaps that influenced his decision. Remember, last time he went head to head with Saving Private Ryan.

And all things considered, they're both films that are epics, based in beautiful natural settings, with culture clashes, politics, history, all mixed in...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Stefen

Yeah i've heard about the other che movie. Called Motorcycle Diaries or something. Maybe it will be kind of like the unauthorized prequel to Malicks Che. Movie.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.