Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

NEON MERCURY

...alright ...i just finnished Days of Heaven ..and now I have finally sen all of his films..

like Ghostboy the thin red line was my inntro to malick followed by Badlands then Days....
just i agree with what others have saud...visual, dreamy, and has directed thre masterpieces so far....and Che looks sweet as well.....

red line is my favorite ..followed by days ..then Badlands....

the wineglass through the water and the grasshopper sh*t in Days was pleasent.....

Chest Rockwell

I watched Thin Red Line a few years ago and I personally saw nothing special with the directing or any of that...but granted I was probably about 10. I don't see how he can make money when he makes a film a decade.

monodynamic

Terrence Malik is one cool guy. He grew up in Austin and lives around here today i believe.

How is this for coincidence... TM stopped on a highway to talk to my friend shooting a short, ended up watching the finished product, and gave him some useful film benefits around town.

Yeah, i'm so cool. My friend knows this really cool guy and..... dear god.. what have i become...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Chest RockwellI watched Thin Red Line a few years ago and I personally saw nothing special with the directing or any of that

Quote from: Chest Rockwellbut granted I was probably about 10

Quote from: Chest RockwellI don't see how he can make money when he makes a film a decade.

......maybe he's not a h$llyw$$d director....and  goes by his owns rules(monetary & creatively).....

soixante

Malick is in the enviable position of being a living legend.  He directed two films in the 70's that were not exactly huge moneymakers.  After two decades of seclusion, he was given 70 or 80 million by a major studio to direct what is in effect an obscure art film on an epic scale.  Usually, filmmakers who don't deliver at the box office either don't work or work on shoestring budgets, but Malick, like Kubrick before him, is above the rules.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SoNowThen

Yeah, the man makes near-perfect films.

He's class all the way. It's all in the pacing...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

he's really smart. kubrick was really smart.

he hypnotizes ppl into giving him money.
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

It also helps to bump into Sean Penn in an airport and have him tell you he'd work with you for free.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinNow go watch "True Romance" and you'll see where Hans Zimmer's inspiration for that score came from.
HOLY SHIT!  i cant believe how badly ripped off the music from true romance is from this movie!  in the first couple minutes when the music/theme came on with the narration by thick accented southern gal, me and g/f were both like "TRUE ROMANCE!"  other than that, the movie was pretty good.  different, still have to watch the other two in the next few weeks.  as far as outlaw couples on the run early seventies flicks are concerned i cant say i enjoyed this any more than Sugarland Express, but whatever.

Quote from: ebeamanYeah, I blind bought True Romance before I saw Badlands and thought it was decent. Then when I heard about how it ripped it off, I saw it and fucking threw TR away. I still have to buy Badlands actually.
ebeaman, you're so weird!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I don't think it's a rip off, since it's EXACTLY the same music. Just a very sincere homage, for the people who recognize it.

modage

Quote from: xerxesi really didn't like the thin red line
me neither.  i almost hated it.  it was long as hell, and yet in 3 hours i didnt learn hardly anything about any of the characters beyond them being cutout 'i want to win at any cost', 'i'm against the war', 'i have a girl at home' motives.  it wasnt exciting, there was no drama, and it was the biggest waste of a great cast i've ever seen.  great actors, striving to work with a great director were reduced to extras roaming through the background.  it really irritated me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

molly

that's the thing with Thin Red Line and Black Hawk Down - they tell the truth about the war - it's a slaughterhouse. Stories about the heroism are just opium for people. The war looks the way it was shown in those movies. No slow motion.

modage

Quote from: mollythat's the thing with Thin Red Line and Black Hawk Down - they tell the truth about the war - it's a slaughterhouse. Stories about the heroism are just opium for people. The war looks the way it was shown in those movies. No slow motion.
but i loved Black Hawk Down because it was relentless and well shot and made you feel like you were there.  and i practically hated the Thin Red Line because i felt nothing.

molly

maybe if you watch the film again, and think about it, you'll be surprised how much you feel

slice

Quote from: mollyyou'll be surprised how much you feel

feel nothing!?!?  hahahahaha