Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateI have heard (can anyone confirm?) that the voice overs were not originally intended to be included in the movie.

Quote from: IMDBBilly Bob Thornton recorded a narration for the 3+ hour epic under the supervision of director Terence Malick. But the final print of the film has voiceovers by 8 of the main characters in the film; none of the narration from Thornton is in the final print.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

lamas

Quote from: RegularKaratesome drunk, ugly chick tries to pull down your pants for a quick handjob.

i hate that bitch.  she's always after my rope.

SiliasRuby

I finally got around to seeing Days of Heaven. The only Malick film I haven't purchased. Beautiful film but I don't think I'll buy this one. Really gorgeous movie.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gabe

I just had a Dream that I was reading about the Thin Red Line and I saw that Macguffin quoted this

Quote from: RegularKarateThe voice overs suck... they almost ruin the
movie.

And then Ducksauce saying " Yeah, I never got the reason why the wife always locked her doors. "

And then Macguffin wrote, " More about this here. " and I clicked the link and it was a site with a sample of the movie. I started watching and it was this whole other movie with Jenny from Forrest Gump (?) playing this country wife in a huge country mansion while all this shitty shit happened around her. It showed this crappy montage in scrorcese like fashion of how her brother got busted by the cops on the doorstep of that mansion for booze, and she watched and then today how her husband got busted for playing a radio and trying to throw it at the cop (?).
Then the camera started to take me on this, journey. We went up the block through all these hills and past a church which had a great view of the green hills far off in the town. Then we kept going, past the church and into a backyard, then ( with some David Fincher type camera tricks)
I suddenly landed in this Bedroom staring at a picture on a dresser, while someone in the next room was in the shower. I looked over to see some stout, reptilian looking ( but still human ) Asian Women smiling at me with her slitted eyes and closed lips. She said ' Do you see? Look! Dah man Wearing a bra ' I looked where she directed me but i only saw these two women, one Asian one blonde,lying down in their blue and black bras, and the blonde was looking at me. I looked back at the lady, puzzled. Then I looked back at the girls saying " Theres no man, those are girls " and the sleeping asian girl in black opened her eye and glared at me. Then I knew this old Asian woman was tricking me to have sex with these women. She walked me into the room, and there were sleeping Asian women littered Everywhere! One of them ran up to me all smiley and cheery, grabbing at my pants she kept saying in slurred english she wanted to see my dick. So I took this asian woman over to the side of the room where there were all these studio tables with blueprints and things on them and she layed me on the floor. The blonde girl was watching, she looked so quiet and sad, I wanted to include her so I was about to tell her to turn around so i could like, give her oral and then I felt the crotch of the Asian girl on top of me and it was cold. . .thats when I woke up.

And I've began to put it together that in this imaginary 'Thin Red line' Jenny from Forrest Gump would always lock her doors because the Asian woman up the street and her Larry Clark female version of the Crazy 88's would creep up on her house samurai style during the long months that Hubby was in Vietnam, and lesbian rape her in her attic while The old Reptile woman watched. It just horrible, now when I watch the 'Thin Red Line' I'll know her side of the story when they're making that awesome awesome love in the sun lit room. All she wanted was to finally have some dick. . .

Anyways, I always wondered where Macguffin found his links, and today I discovered its a place where movies become movies and change themselves so you become the character. Its a sick place. And I think MacGuffin gets off on exposing this place to us everyday. This place that he always has access too, with his Quicktime links and Hollywood reporter esque articles. . . DAMN YOU MACGUFFIN!

It kinda wierd when your dreams involve xixax, but its awesome when you have dreams like this.  :)

MacGuffin

Why can't I read posts where Bethie, Ginger, Gloria, Thrindle or Vile have awesome dreams about me?

I'd even settle for a dream from Fernando.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gabe

Quote from: MacGuffinWhy can't I read posts where Bethie, Ginger, Gloria, Thrindle or Vile have awesome dreams about me?

Because Newbies think Newly.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

I just haven't had a dream about you yet, Mac.  Maybe soon.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin
I'd even settle for a dream from Fernando.

Haha, actually...there have been but nothing memorable yet, on one of them the site kind of didn't work and so tried to pm and it continiously redirected me to another site or something. I had others where I just met some of the guys here and just talk about movies, these guest stars include such people as Mac, P, Mog, Cron, Cine and some others.

lamas

Farrell and Gibson in Terrence Malick's $145 million "Tree of Life"?

http://ww1.mid-day.com/hitlist/2005/june/111594.htm

It looks like Indian cinema has finally made a dent in Hollywood. Indian production house Percept Picture Company is all set to be a part of India's first truly Hollywood film, titled Tree of Life.

The film is a drama and will star Hollywood bigwigs Mel Gibson and Colin Farrell, and will be directed by Oscar-winner Terence Malik (Thin Red Line, Days of Heaven, Badlands).

Hush-hush deal

The deal for the film has been charted out and will be signed in the next 24 hours. An insider informs us that the film is a, "$145 million project and the company has been in negotiation for the last five months. It's all very hush-hush right now. Percept will break the news next week as right now solicitors on both sides are going over the Memorandum of Understanding."

Taking India places

Fifteen per cent of Tree of Life  will be shot in India, while the rest will be shot on locations abroad. A source from Percept, who does not wish to be named, says, "This film will take India places in the Hollywood circles."

Not confirming the news, Shailendra Singh, managing director, Percept Picture Company says, "I cannot comment on this right now. When I have something to say, we will announce it officially."  

sarita.tanwar@mid-day.com
Films Percept has made in the past

1. Makdee
2. Phir Milenge
3. Mother Teresa
4. Pyaar Mein Kabhi Kabhi
Michael Douglas may be in it too

Our source tells us there are also talks to rope in Michael Douglas for the project. But it is not yet clear whether he will be a partner in production or will act in the film. Singh is flying out of the country to seal the deal with him next week.

Pubrick

oscar winner?

INVALIDATED
under the paving stones.

lamas

none exist.  i read The Films of Terrence Malick last summer.  if you like extensive pretentious critical essays that read like a homework assignment then check that out.  there's only so much information about Malick as it is.  you can find that on the interweb.  i recommend this:

http://www.eskimo.com/~toates/malick/

MacGuffin

Percept finds 'Life' with Malick feature
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW DELHI -- Mumbai-based Percept Picture Co. said Tuesday that it will co-produce "Tree of Life," which will be produced by Donald Rosenfeld. Terrence Malick ("The Thin Red Line") is in talks to direct and write the screenplay, and Colin Farrell is in talks to play one of the leads.

Other cast members are being finalized. Emmanual Lubezki is the proposed director of photography.

The film's story outline has not yet been disclosed, but preproduction is slated to begin in January. Some parts of "Life" will be shot in India, for which Percept will handle ground production.

Without providing a budget, Percept said that "Life" will involve Mumbai-based Sahara One Motion Pictures as partners in the project, which will be executive produced by Percept.

"We are thrilled to be in business with Sahara One Motion Pictures and Percept Picture Co., and we look forward to many more great collaborations in the future, both in India and the U.S.A.," Rosenfeld said.

Rosenfeld worked at Merchant Ivory Prods. from 1987-98, during which time he produced "Mr. & Mrs. Bridge," "Ballad of the Sad Cafe," "Howards End," "Remains of the Day," "In Custody," "Jefferson in Paris," "Feast of July" and "Surviving Picasso," among others.

Malick is in postproduction on "The New World" for New Line Cinema, an update on the Pocahontas-John Smith story, which stars Farrell.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rome lines up Hollywood greats
Loren, Fonda, Coppola, Malick on guest list

The Rome Film Festival has announced a slew of high-caliber guests -- including Sophia Loren, Jane Fonda, Terrence Malick, Francis Ford Coppola and Bernardo Bertolucci -- who will hold onstage conversations for its Extra section.

Loren, as previously announced, is being honored with Rome's IMAIE Acting Award, given last year to Sean Connery.

Fonda is coming as part of a tribute to New York's Actors Studio, which will also see alumnae Shirley Knight and Cloris Leachman making the trek and chatting under the spotlight.

After being coaxed for more than a year, the reclusive Malick will talk about his love for Italian cinema, as well as his own work, with the proviso that paparazzi be kept outside.

Coppola, who is coming for the world preem of "Youth Without Youth" in the main section, will chat with the public after a screening of his wife Eleanor's docu "Coda: Thirty Years Later," a follow-up to her "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse."

Rome organizers hope to get the whole Coppola family, including children Sofia and Roman, onstage.

A Bertolucci day will celebrate his film "1900" with a spanking new cut of the historic epic unspooling and star Gerard Depardieu on hand to reminisce and discuss.

In terms of titles, Rome's cutting-edge sidebar comprises 29 works in different formats.

They include the world preem of Colin Firth-narrated "In Prison My Whole Life," which focuses on former Black Panther Mumia Abu-Jamal, who has spent the past 25 years of his life on death row and claims to have been wrongly convicted.

Docu, helmed by Marc Evans ("Snow Cake"), will world preem simultaneously in Rome's Extra/Other Visions and at the London Film Festival in what Extra chief Mario Sesti called "an unprecedented launch, and a new way to fight the death penalty."

U.S. docus seen in Sundance and Tribeca feature prominently. Among these: "The King of Kong," about two men duking it out in a "Donkey Kong" videogame match; "Taxi to the Dark Side," which examines torture in Afghanistan; and "War Dance," about three Ugandan children preparing for a music competition.

Among other entries rounding out the section and competing for the E20,000 ($28,000) Cult Prize are Aussie docu "Forbidden Lies," about writer Norma Khouri's literary hoax; Italy's offbeat "Le pere di Adamo," which correlates patterns in class struggle and changes in the weather; and "Sigur Ros -- Heima," about the band Sigur Ros performing in their native Iceland.

A separate Extra subdivision comprises U.S. helmer Adam Wingard's indie horror pic "Pop Skull"; docu "Clint Eastwood, A Life in Film" by Michael Henry Wilson; Rolf De Heer's homage to classic silent comedies "Dr. Plonk"; Jonathan Demme's post-Katrina account "New Home Movies From the Lower 9th Ward"; and Italo helmer-pop star Franco Battiato's reflection on spirituality "Nothing Is as It Seems."

The Rome Film Festival runs Oct. 18-27. Its main lineup will be announced Sept. 27.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ledger, Penn take part in Malick's 'Life'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Heath Ledger and Sean Penn are in talks to star in "Tree of Life," with River Road Entertainment finally bringing writer-director Terrence Malick's long-gestating drama to life.

Ledger would take the lead opposite an actress to be determined, with Penn in a supporting role.

Malick also is in talks, with principal photography set to begin in March.

River Road founder Bill Pohlad will produce with Sarah Green, Malick's producer on his last feature "The New World."

The film's plot has been closely guarded, but is described by an insider as a complex drama.

"New World" lead Colin Farrell was in talks to star in the feature two years ago, with about a third of the shoot set for India, but the star and location are no longer part of the project.

If anyone has the muscle to bring "Life" to the screen, it's River Road.

The company produced Focus Features' highest-grossing film "Brokeback Mountain" starring Ledger, and Penn's recent directorial effort for Paramount Vantage, "Into the Wild."

Other projects the outfit has partly or totally produced and financed include Focus' "Lust, Caution" and the recent Roadside Attractions pickup "Chicago 10."

Penn has been a longtime Malick supporter and friend, starring in his war drama "The Thin Red Line." Ledger appears in "I'm Not There" and next summer's Batman feature "The Dark Night."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.