Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

April 12, 2016

Too Late for Tears (1949) on blu-ray from Flicker Alley

Through a fluke circumstance a ruthless woman stumbles across a suitcase filled with $60,000, and she is determined to hold onto it even it if means murder.

Too Late for Tears (1949) - Flicker Alley

Woman on the Run (1950) on blu-ray from Flicker Alley

Frank Johnson flees police after becoming an eyewitness to murder. He is pursued around scenic San Francisco by his wife, a reporter, the police, and... the real murderer.

Woman on the Run (1950) - Flicker Alley

wilder

February 23, 2016

Dario Argento's Tenebrae (1982) on blu-ray from Synapse in a 3-disc limited edition

Tenebrae (1982) - Diabolik DVD

wilder

May 17, 2016

William Castle's I Saw What You Did! (1965) from Scream Factory

Teenagers Libby and Kit innocently spend an evening doing random crank calls. These calls lead to murderous consequences.

wilder

April 19, 2016

Sam Fuller's Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1974) from Olive Films

An American private eye is shot dead in Germany by an international extortion gang, and his partner arrives to seek revenge.

QuoteFuller was offered the opportunity to direct an episode of the popular German crime drama by film critic (and later writer/director) Hans-Christoph Blumenberg, in appreciation for the director's help in securing interviews with filmmakers Howard Hawks and John Ford for a documentary project. Upon meeting with the program's producers and feeling initial doubts about being able to conform to the show's standard template, he suggested a storyline inspired by the then-recent Profumo affair in England, which the producers approved to Fuller's surprise.

Fuller's screenplay took liberties with the established style of the show by eliminating a primary series protagonist early in the episode in order to introduce a one-time American character to helm the investigation, by conducting the majority of the program in English rather than German (though subtitles were provided in the German broadcast), and by ultimately treating the story with a satirical and often broadly comic tone.

April 19, 2016

Try and Get Me! aka The Sound of Fury (1950) from Olive Films, restored by The Film Noir Foundation

A man who is down on his luck falls in with a criminal.

jenkins

i wish my eyes were fresh on the noir genre and i didn't already own so many. when i hear about new releases i think about things like blu-ray prices and replay value, i don't think i've bought a noir on blu-ray except The Third Man on criterion, which is kinda funny and really i should sell that, and i know companies are choosing movies that didn't already have excellent dvd releases, i know they want me to want them, and i do, but i don't.

1974 is well outside the years of noir. i lumped Dead Pigeon in there for conversational purposes and because i'm much more likely to buy a noir movie than a general crime movie, since idgaf about crime movies. that's a Sweaty Man Cave genre, crime movies, to me, kinda, i'm also saying that for conversational purposes, the point is i also see the music credit for Dead Pigeon:

Music by Can (as The Can)

PT fans should be familiar with Can now. how the fuck did they make the music for a Fuller crime movie? idk. that's cool. maybe i should start Netflixing again, you know, could be that easy really. torrenting. idk.

wilder

Apparently Scorsese had the last existing print of Try and Get Me! (1950). I trust Scorsese recommendations and especially Scorsese on noir. Another that comes to mind is Murder by Contract (1958), which he recorded a video introduction for in the Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics box set.

Nice find on the Can song.

wilder

May 24, 2016

Michael Mann's Manhunter (1986) from Shout Factory

ugggghhhh

Manhunter (1986) - Amazon

QuoteThe supplemental features that will be included on the release have not yet been detailed, but the label has confirmed that director Mann is directly involved with the release.

May 24, 2016

Curtis Hanson's Bad Influence (1990) from Shout Factory

Bad Influence (1990) - Amazon
A milquetoast executive is befriended by a seductive stranger, who convinces him to come out of his shell with disastrous results.

wilder

February 9, 2016

Otto Preminger's Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950) from Twilight Time

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950) - Screen Archives

February 9, 2016

Fritz Lang's The Big Heat (1953) limited edition re-issue from Twilight Time

The Big Heat (1953) - Screen Archives

February 26, 2016

Val Lewton & Jacques Tourneur's Cat People (1942) on blu-ray from IVC Japan

Cat People (1942) - Amazon Japan

Heard a rumor about Criterion obtaining the rights to Cat People, hope they have the other Val Lewton titles as well.

February 26, 2016

Val Lewton & Jacques Tourneur's I Walked with a Zombie (1943) on blu-ray from IVC Japan

I Walked with a Zombie (1943) - Amazon Japan

April 29, 2016

Nicholas Ray's They Live by Night (1948) on blu-ray from IVC Japan

They Live by Night (1948) - Amazon Japan

wilder

April 11, 2016

Sydney Pollack's Three Days of the Condor (1975) from Masters of Cinema

Three Days of the Condor (1975) - Amazon UK

April 18, 2016

Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900 (1976) from Masters of Cinema

1900 (1976) - Amazon UK

April 18, 2016

Man with a Movie Camera + Other Works by Dziga Vertov from Masters of Cinema

Man with a Movie Camera + Other Works by Dziga Vertov - Amazon UK

wilder

omfg

Q2 2016 TBD

José Ramón Larraz's Symptoms (1974) from Mondo Macabro

QuoteIn this somber horror gem, Helen (Angela Pleasance, daughter of Donald) brings Anne (Lora Heilbron, star of Freddie Francis' THE CREEPING FLESH, 1973) to her family's creepy, rarely used forest estate where they can unwind from the stress of city life and focus on their writing. The woods may be lovely, dark, and deep, but the promises they keep lead to sex, murder, and insanity!

From Jose Ramon Larraz, the director of the vampire cult classic VAMPRYRES (1974), comes SYMPTOMS (1974), part-Lewis Carroll forest fantasia, part-erotic thriller, part-Bergman-esque chamber of trauma, and 100% mental mindfuck. SYMPTOMS fits into a loose series of films by Larraz made in the early 1970s that includes the aforementioned VAMPYRES, as well as WHIRLPOOL (1970), DEVIATION (1971), and THE HOUSE THAT VANISHED (1974), all of which revolve around a small core cast of characters who venture into the woods and find themselves in a surreal, sexual, and psychotic nightmare.

Striking sustained notes of quiet unease that crescendo into madness, SYMPTOMS epitomizes the minimalist narrative, pastoral beauty, ethereal ermines, and genre revisionism that characterized Larraz's work in this period.

For years only viewable as a blurry bootleg derived from an early 80s British TV broadcast, this haunting thriller can now be seen as it was intended with a brand new HD transfer of the recently discovered negatives. It's taken us more than 15 years of searching and negotiating to get here, but with the indispensable assistance of the BFI Mondo Macabro can finally bring this film to the world on Blu-ray and DVD.

Symptoms is an intense and claustrophobic study of a woman's descent into madness and murder. Made in the same years as Larraz's better known Vampyres with much of the same crew and a similar vibe, Symptoms is more atmospheric and ambiguous, and less exploitative. But it casts a powerful spell and is perhaps the most potent example of director Jose Larraz's unique style.

Starring Angela Pleasance (From Beyond the Grave) in what is probably her best ever role, Symptoms is a film whose time has finally come. After premiering at the 1974 Cannes Film Festival as the official UK entry and a brief theatrical run, the film sank into almost complete obscurity until being rescued from oblivion by books like Tohill and Tombs' Immoral Tales and the ever-diligent video underground. With this stunning new Blu ray release Symptoms can now be seen as the masterpiece of 70s horror that it truly is.

Special Features:
-The 2011 documentary on Jose Larraz, ON VAMPYRES AND OTHER SYMPTOMS
-FROM BARCELONA to TUNBRIDGE WELLS, a 1999 TV documentary on Larraz, part of the EUROTIKA! series
-New interviews with stars Angela Pleasence and Lorna Heilbron and editor Brian Smedley-Aston

The retail version of this release will be preceded by a limited, numbered version (500 copies only) with exclusive extras, only available through MondoMacabro.BigCartel.com

Symptoms - Spectacle Theater Trailer

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on February 04, 2016, 03:28:23 PMthe ever-diligent video underground.

"brands come and go but the underground is forever."

jenkins

wilder (or anyone) do you know what's going on with Drafthouse blu-ray releases for Wake in Fright and Miami Connection? curious what this means about the overall nature of Drafthouse blu-ray releases. Wake in Fright appears OOP and currently sells at $68 on Amazon. that gave me such anxiety i watched with a friend his copy last night. now i still have anxiety, but i've seen the movie more recently (i should own it, it's so good). Miami Connection i already own because i'm like that, it currently sells for $62 new.

i admit i'm being lazy and performed a cursory google search, hoping someone can give me facts.

wilder

Seems they're both still in print, or are officially but for all intents and purposes seem OOP due to the following reasons...

Quote from: blu-ray.com forumIt's very common for boutique titles to go out of stock between pressings; in the absence of any announcement from Alamo Drafthouse I assume more will be pressed (so NOT out of print). I'm thinking the same about Miami Connection. Granted anything is possible but I wouldn't break the bank on obtaining these titles just yet.

Quote from: blu-ray.com forumI think Alamo was changing their distributor, and their older titles were supposed to have switched over to their new distrib, but that never seemed to happen for who knows why. But the titles were still avail on Alamo's site. If they are out-of-stock there right now, maybe they are just in-between print runs so no need to rush and pay exorbitant ebay prices. Maybe an e-mail inquiry to Alamo will get an answer about this?

Miami Connection and Wake in Fright can be ordered for $10 each directly from Drafthouse but shipping will set you back another 10.

jenkins

wilder

May 23, 2016

Dissent & Disruption: The Complete Alan Clarke at the BBC on blu-ray from BFI (13 discs)

Includes all surviving BBC TV productions directed by Alan Clarke, extensive extra features, a comprehensive book with new essays and full credits, and an exclusive bonus DVD containing the seven surviving Half Hour Story episodes directed by Clarke: Shelter (1967), The Gentleman Caller (1967, previously considered lost), George's Room (1967, previously considered partially lost); Goodnight Albert (1968), Stella (1968), The Fifty Seventh Saturday (1968) and Thief (1968, previously considered lost).

Dissent & Disruption: The Complete Alan Clarke at the BBC - Amazon UK

Read more about Clarke's work in this thread at Criterion Forum