Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

April 5, 2016

John S. Rad's Dangerous Men (2005) on blu-ray from Drafthouse

Dangerous Men (2005) - Amazon

The fanatical brainchild of Iranian polymath John Rad, Dangerous Men is a passion project that remained in obsessive production for nearly two decades before finally debuted in Californian theaters in 2005. An unflappably prodigious creative force, Rad handled much of the technical duties of the film, appearing multiple times in the film's credits as the director, writer, location scout, producer, executive producer, and more.

Despite initially languishing at the box office during its limited theatrical release, and never finding a likeminded audience before Rad's untimely death in 2007, Dangerous Men developed a devoted following before vanishing as mysteriously as it appeared. Chief among them was Hadrian Belove, of the independent Los Angeles theater The Cinefamily, who saw the film multiple times during its brief theatrical run, and alerted Drafthouse Films and Alamo Drafthouse Cinema programming teams to the existence of the film. Working with the late artist's family, the team worked tirelessly alongside the American Genre Film Institute to locate and restore the original film.

"It took us almost three and a half years of continuous begging, pleading and debasement before John Rad's family agreed to license us the film," said Drafthouse COO James Emanuel Shapiro. "It was well worth it! We are immensely proud that we've carved out our own niche of mind-shredding repertory releases and beyond thrilled to unleash what should very much be considered the Holy Grail of Holy F*cking Sh#t on audiences worldwide!"

wilder

December 8, 2015

Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will (1935) on blu-ray from Synapse

The infamous propaganda film of the 1934 Nazi Party rally in Nuremberg, Germany.

Triumph of the Will (1935) - Amazon

wilder

January 19, 2015

Hal Ashby's Bound for Glory (1976) on blu-ray from Twilight Time

Hal Ashby's The Last Detail (1973) on blu-ray from Twilight Time

wilder

October 19, 2015

Russ Meyer's Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965) on blu-ray from Russ Meyer Films

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965) - Russ Meyer Films

jenkins

so it must be that it's somehow advantageous that he distributes his own movies, i think it's because he gets all the money back to him absolutely, but i think him and Frederick Wiseman should let out their riches and any artist decision that impedes the audience isn't worth it, ultimately, i don't think, but also we just need someone to buy them like what happened with Disney and Star Wars hey listen, my question here is does it come out on October 19, 2015 and there isn't a listed price? omg how many dollars is it? is at $30? if it's more than $30 what. ever.

i might not be looking at this page right, i'm wondering about the price. talking with people who remember how expensive laserdiscs were is always fun. good chat and thanks.

wilder

Blog update on the 4K restoration of Jeff Lieberman's Blue Sunshine (1978) for blu-ray

QuoteIt has been screened in Brooklyn at Nitehawk Cinema, and upstate NY at Proctor's Theater and is headed out west in November for its LA premiere at Cinefamily.

wilder

December 2015 TBD

Roman Polanski's Che? (1972) on blu-ray from Koch Media (Germany)

NSFW

wilder

February 23, 2016

Eric Rohmer's Pauline at the Beach (1983) from Kino

wilder

November 3, 2015

Ulli Lommel's Tenderness of the Wolves (1973) on blu-ray from Arrow USA

This dark horror film from director Ulli Lommel was based on the real-life crimes of Fritz Haarman (Kurt Raab), the so-called "Vampire of Dusseldorf" who murdered over 25 young boys, drank their blood, and sold their flesh as black-market meat. Several German films had depicted Haarman's murderous exploits, most notably Fritz Lang's classic M (1931), but Lommel's version is far more graphic and horrifying. Produced by filmmaker Rainer Werner Fassbinder, who also appears, the film revels in pseudo-Expressionistic imagery which sears itself into the viewer's mind. Raab's performance is reminiscent of both Peter Lorre in M and Max Schreck in the vampire classic Nosferatu (1922), but is unforgettable in its own right. A deeply disturbing cinematic poem about the face of true evil.

Tenderness of the Wolves (1973) - Amazon

According to this thread, it sounds like the on-set relationship between Lommel and Fassbinder was similar to Hooper/Spielberg on Poltergeist

wilder

February 2, 2016

Ate de Jong's Highway to Hell (1991) on blu-ray from Kino

I vaguely remember seeing this on tv about 20 years ago and thinking it was fun. No promises with this one.

wilder

February 8, 2016

Richard Fleischer's Compulsion (1959) from Signal One Entertainment

Loosely based on the famous 1924 murder trial of thrill-killers Loeb and Leopold, two homosexual students who murdered a young boy to demonstrate their intellectual superiority.

Compulsion (1959) - Amazon UK

wilder

Out Today

Killer Workout aka Aerobicide (1987) from Olive Films

Killer Workout (1987) - Amazon

jenkins

those YouTube videos provide what i'm calling a nice and tidy summary, thanks

wilder

February 23, 2016

Fritz Lang's Woman in the Moon (1929) from Kino

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on October 15, 2013, 04:20:12 PM
Carlotta Films Enters the U.S. Market
via blu-ray.com

Paris-based Carlotta Films has announced that it is launching a U.S. distribution company, which will be known as Carlotta Films U.S. The new company, which will be run by Calantha Mansfield, will focus on bringing classic and little seen independent films to the American market.

The first films Carlotta Films U.S. will distribute theatrically are restored prints of Leos Carax's Boy Meets Girl (1984), starring Denis Lavant, Mireille Perrier, and Carroll Brooks, and Mauvais sang a.k.a The Night is Young (1986), starring Michel Piccoli, Juliette Binoche, and Denis Lavant, as well as Charles Lane's Sidewalk Stories (1989), starring Charles Lane, Nicole Alysia, and Tom Alpern.

Preliminary release dates for upcoming Blu-ray and DVD releases have not yet been revealed.

i like how this is where Sidewalk Stories is mentioned. i ordered it today, following my monthly policy of ordering off Amazon movies i've been thinking about and are currently at their lowest prices evar. i bought this and Away We Go. you people who are PTA fans, idk idk about trashing on this movie. we gotta have a family chat, i'll watch Away We Go again soon. here's the trailer for Sidewalk Stories:

[edit]
this edit is being performed before i post this. i did what's called "pulled an assumption" on Away We Go getting some trash talk here, but in the Xixax thread ©brad is the first to appreciate it, and it's unanimously appreciated actually. i think i agree, that's how i remember feeling about the movie. i think perhaps Sam Mendes is a tricky name because of American Beauty, which could be a great movie, which could be a terrible movie, honestly it's not a common topic in movie chats because it's such a rocky conversation, like Crash, it's only brought up like this while someone makes a point that seems incontestable, that American Beauty got majorly harshed by some people.

because really how you worry a person is you make them worry about their opinion. i like that there was that kind of worry around the release of Away We Go. i try never to get worried about my opinion. and some operational names here are Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida. i have the opinion that i'm glad they wrote the screenplay. then the actors, there's a complimentary roster. i feel about Away We Go perhaps how i feel about Young Adult, where there are some tricky names but there are some great names, and the movie pulls itself off so who cares. how's the movie? the question is always: how is the movie?

(made myself excited while typing this i realized)