Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

The cost comes at a price - they have a generally terrible reputation for dumping movies on blu-ray with transfers only slightly better than DVD (or worse), i.e. their release of The Squid and the Whale (which should have its own release but was dumped on a single disc as a double feature with Running with Scissors). Their copy of The Lady from Shanghai is a major exception in terms of video quality, but they also weren't the ones to handle it initially. I actually don't think I own anything put out by them.

jenkins

I own Gamera: Guardian of the Universe/Attack of the Legion, perhaps the first Mill Creek release, but definitely stupid fucking movies that I'm an idiot for owning. I've tried now and then my entire life to like monster attack movies, and in my childhood I think I did like them, but I can't get back to liking them though I keep trying for some reason, I guess for the reason that I think it's better in life to like things than not like things, and there are many monster attack movies in existence.

I own The Legend of Billie Jean, which I'm very glad to own. I consider that some good FYI from Mill Creek. I own The Lady from Shanghai because of course I do.

That's my complete Mill Creek inventory.  My list is missing: The Wild One, Last Action Hero, Heartbreak Hotel, and soon The Big Picture. So I was being overnice to them but yeah, they're so cheap whatever, put 'em on my doorstep and I'll just deal.

wilder

Forgot The Wild One was theirs, that transfer is supposed to be solid. Now things get complicated. Now I can't count on them being good or bad. Tricky.

Also jenk I don't know what this is but Straight Talk (1992) looks like something you'd appreciate

wilder

August 10, 2015

Arrow UK's upcoming limited edition blu-ray release of Videodrome (1983) contains supplements absent from Criterion's release, including the documentary David Cronenberg and the Cinema of the Extreme and a supplemental blu-ray disc containing newly restored versions of Cronenberg's early shorts Transfer (1966), From the Drain (1967), Stereo (1969) and Crimes of the Future (1970).

Crimes of the Future (1970) will be available on Criterion's upcoming release of The Brood (1979), and Stereo (1969) is already available on Criterion's release of Scanners (1981).

Full list of extra features here

Videodrome (1983) - Amazon UK

wilder

Quote from: wilder on February 15, 2015, 03:46:49 PM
VinegarSyndrome.tv is fully funded and happening

Quote from: VinegarSyndromeWe owe a BIG thank you to all of our Indiegogo supporters for helping us bring the largest collection of high-def Exploitation films online.

We can't wait to open the doors to over 250 feature films,consisting of our entire home video catalog, a few other partner labels and over 80 previously unreleased films.

We're launching August 20th on the web and Roku (iOS and Android apps to follow later this year).

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on June 15, 2015, 11:35:14 PM
Quote from: wilder on April 29, 2015, 02:43:28 PM
August 18, 2015

Gerald Kargl's Angst aka Schizophrenia (1983) on blu-ray from Cult Epics (US)

Delayed until October 13th

wilder

September 22, 2015

Dirty Work (1998) from Olive Films

wilder

September 22, 2015

The American Dreamer (1971) on blu-ray from Vinegar Syndrome/Etiquette Pictures

A documentary about actor/director Dennis Hopper, showing him at his home and studio putting together his film "The Last Movie."

The American Dreamer (1971) - Amazon

that documentary is fucking GREAT. must watch. super crazy.

wilder

September 28, 2015

The Otto Preminger Film Noir Collection on blu-ray from BFI

-The Fallen Angel (1945)
-Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)
-Whirlpool (1949)

The Otto Preminger Film Noir Collection - Amazon UK

The Fallen Angel (1945) and Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950) will be released in the US by Twilight Time

wilder

October 19, 2015

The Shohei Imamura Masterpiece Collection on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema

-Nishi-Ginza Station (1958)
-Stolen Desire (1958)
-Pigs & Battleships (1961)
-The Insect Woman (1963)
-A Man Vanishes (1967)
-Profound Desires of the Gods (1968)
-Vengeance is Mine (1979)
-The Ballad of Narayama (1983)   

The Shohei Imamura Masterpiece Collection - Amazon UK

wilder

October 19, 2015

The Naked Prey (1965) on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema

The Naked Prey (1965) - Amazon UK

October 26, 2015

John Frankenheimer's Seconds (1966) on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema

Seconds (1966) - Amazon UK

wilder

October 20, 2015

The Benoit Jacquot Collection on blu-ray from Cohen Media Group

-A Single Girl (1995)

A day in the life of a young and independent Parisian girl that is shot in real time as she copes with work and relationships.

-Keep It Quiet (1999)

Fabrice Luchini's businessman Grégoire has just done an undeserved stretch in the penitentiary for some sordid white-collar family business, but given his newfound hyper-awareness of the world and the way his wife (Huppert) and brother (Lindon) tiptoe around him, he might as well be returning from the dead. Keep It Quiet hides the particulars of many of its plot entanglements in order to concentrate on the complex emotions entangling its characters.

-The Disenchanted (1990)

Jacquot has often referred to this beautifully concentrated 1990 film as a new beginning, a break from the "theoretically" driven films of the 70s and 80s into the pursuit of "something human," in the director's words.

The film is built around the troubled countenance of 17-year-old Judith Godrèche in the role of Beth, a teenager in the midst of a painful moral education. She is put in the unenviable position of holding her family together and debasing herself at the suggestion of both her scornful bedridden mother and her no-good boyfriend. Everything begins and ends with Godrèche's extraordinary dark eyes, at once signaling emotional deprivation, wounded intelligence, and hard-won wisdom.

Jacquot and his extraordinary cinematographer Caroline Champetier give us the world as if refracted through those eyes, a strangely magical environment in which every object and encounter feels potentially ominous and/or liberating.

Jacquot once described the film perfectly in an interview with Gerald Peary and Peter Brunette: "Beth's losing her childhood, becoming a woman, and becoming disenchanted.

The Benoit Jacquot Collection - Amazon

A Single Girl (1995) also has a planned standalone release that I'm not sure is still happening

wilder

November 10, 2015

Woody Allen's Shadows and Fog (1991) on blu-ray from Twilight Time