PTA Interviews (on YouTube or otherwise)

Started by ono, July 07, 2011, 03:45:25 AM

wilder

^
QuotePT: What's happening next?

Adam McKay: I'm talking with Farrell and John C. Reilly about doing a comedy about two guys that go down to defend America's borders against the immigrants...

Please please please let this happen

Dobbs

Quote from: ono on October 21, 2015, 10:20:41 PM
I've got so much interview to give, I just don't know where to put it.

https://www.criterion.com/lists/150628-paul-thomas-anderson-s-favorite-films

This is over two years old, but whatever.  And actually, I don't think it's an interview, but a collection of quotes and the movies they reference.  There are some standouts that seem to have been omitted, but still, it's nice to peruse.

There was another list about his "favorite" films but I can't find it.
Does anyone remember it?

EDIT
I think I found it, it was the Cigs&Red Vines PTA Picks. Unfortunately the links are all down even with the adblocker disabled. Oh well.

wilder

I remember some of it: 42nd Street, Bad Day Black Rock, The Band Wagon, Baraka, Breaking the Waves, Chaplin's movies, Dancer in the Dark, Dark Star, Fred Astaire's movies, I Am Cuba, Jazz on a Summer's Day, L.A. Confidential, Lost in Translation, Melvin and Howard, Network, Ordinary People, Preston Sturge's movies, Singin' in the Rain, Sunrise, Sweet & Lowdown, Swing Shift, They Drive By Night, The Three Colors Trilogy, White Heat, You Can Count On Me

Airplane, The Asphalt Jungle, The Best Days of Our Lives, The Big Sleep, Breakfast with Curtis, Breaking Away, Giant, The Innocents, Mulholland Drive, The Ninth Configuration, Prince of the City, Secrets & Lies, The Son (Dardennes), They Shoot Horses Don't They?, Three Businessmen, Tunnel Vision, Apichatpong Weerasethakul's films, and When the Cat's Away were mentioned at other points in time

Dobbs

Robyn

axxonn

Quote from: wilder on August 07, 2016, 05:19:20 PM
I remember some of it: 42nd Street, Bad Day Black Rock, The Band Wagon, Baraka, Breaking the Waves, Chaplin's movies, Dancer in the Dark, Dark Star, Fred Astaire's movies, I Am Cuba, Jazz on a Summer's Day, L.A. Confidential, Lost in Translation, Melvin and Howard, Network, Ordinary People, Preston Sturge's movies, Singin' in the Rain, Sunrise, Sweet & Lowdown, Swing Shift, They Drive By Night, The Three Colors Trilogy, White Heat, You Can Count On Me

Airplane, The Asphalt Jungle, The Best Days of Our Lives, The Big Sleep, Breakfast with Curtis, Breaking Away, Giant, The Innocents, Mulholland Drive, The Ninth Configuration, Prince of the City, Secrets & Lies, The Son (Dardennes), They Shoot Horses Don't They?, Three Businessmen, Tunnel Vision, Apichatpong Weerasethakul's films, and When the Cat's Away were mentioned at other points in time

Do you know when/in what context he talked about Mulholland Drive?

wilder

No, I don't remember. I think it was in the context of having admiration for what Lynch does, in general.

Punch Drunk Hate

Quote from: wilder on August 07, 2016, 05:19:20 PM

Mubi list of Paul's favorite films.

wilder

Aside from Noi the Albino, Weersethakul's films, and Breakfast with Curtis, it always seemed to me that the stuff he said he liked post-2000s should be taken with a grain of salt. Not that they're not good movies, but almost everything he mentions hereafter seems to be in promotion of his friends — previous players in his own films, new films by directors he was inspired by whose recent work was beginning to fall off the radar, or just people he perceives as "in his club" or on the same side of history (Nolan - promoting film acquisition). Even Mystic River, which is a decent flick, was something he was talking about shortly after he made Punch-Drunk, not coincidentally shortly after he was trying to get Penn in PSH's role...

modage

Agree with this. A lot of it wasn't necessarily because it even inspired one of his films so much as someone (usually Xixax/C&RV) Asked him what he had seen and liked recently.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

BB

Pretty sure he mentored the director of Breakfast With Curtis at the Sundance labs too. Was a fun flick for sure, but yeah, big grains of salt.

wilder

As ©brad said in another thread, it feels like the internet is reaching 'peak PT', and these interviews are getting harder and harder to find amongst all of the other YouTube glut. I was trying to locate the "I went on the internet once...I got lost" video to post over here, but couldn't find it. I think...it's lost...to time, which made me think a lot of these are eventually going to be. Cigs & Red Vines is lagging in keeping track of them, so...

(some are embedded throughout this thread, some are not)

Boogie Nights

Boogie Nights - Audio Only

Magnolia

Punch-Drunk Love

PT & Sandler, more recent than 2002 - Part 3

There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood - Audio Only

The Master

The Master - Audio Only

NPR's 'Fresh Air' interview with Terry Gross - Part 1

PT interviewed on Sunday Night Safran - Part 1

Inherent Vice

Inherent Vice - Audio Only

On Film Society at Lincoln Center's The Close-Up
modage's recording of Kent Jones' interview with PT at NYFF52

Phantom Thread

Phantom Thread - Audio Only

With Other Directors

Other videos

Someone should rip them all and upload them to a new account where they won't get deleted.

Edit - several of the early ones lead back to Cigs & Red Vines' (inactive?) youtube channel, but it hasn't been updated since the Punch-Drunk days.

Robyn

Just Withnail

This is *amazing*.

A great start to a resource ala the Visual Memory Kubrick site, like someone mentioned. Also: Xixax YouTube-channel maybe?