I directed a series of music videos

Started by pete, April 04, 2011, 12:52:03 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Pete, how much work did you do on this? Direct/cinematography/etc.?

pete

yeah I was the director, producer and editor - didn't really do any cinematography, and for this one I actually got a stunt coordinator so I wouldn't have to do that much work on the day of shooting. The stunt coordinator is this crazy russian dude (the big dude who took three knives early on in the fight scene) name Vlad who is 28 but looks 40 and just has insanely great ideas:

I shot a tiny fraction, but the cinematography was handled by a long time collaborator who's really good and hopefully one day soon he'll get discovered. he's truly versatile and has rocked everything I've thrown his way- from narrative to lifestyle ads (one that paid ridiculous amount of money but I'm too ashamed to show here) to food product shots to fighting. this was my most conventional directing gig so far, in which I didn't have to wear my usual hats as shooter or stunt coordinator or whatever else.

Aesop Rock and I met on the set of his last shoot and when he found out that I did action movies he asked if we could do one 'cause he wanted to take a break from rapping to the camera. We're doing another one in a week (gulp), and I hope I can handle a more conventional music video.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

That was awesome Pete. Congrats and well done.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

my brother went down to Harlem today to help on production of a music video with Vast Aire from Cannibal Ox, and featuring some of his friends who live up here. I'm not jealous in the slightest, I don't wish I had skills like Pete so I could offer my contribution. Nope, not at all.

diggler

These are really great, very well edited too. If you don't mind my asking, what camera did you use?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

pete

hey thanks you two. that was a year ago but felt much longer. They asked me to direct three videos for them, each time with a super rushed schedule and no budget, I did them and though they were conceptually very run-of-the-mill (literally they'd call and give me a day's notice and a deadline and I'd have to scramble for some kinda setting and piece things together) but these got played in a few places and gave me the credential to direct the other music videos with much more ease. Here's the third one that I didn't even bother to color-correct:

and, not sure if you'd seen them already, but hop over to this thread for the Aesop Rock video:
http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=12225.0

and there's this one that's 7 and a half minutes long that I finished a few months ago that I really liked that should be released soon. I'll let you know when it does. that's the best thing I've done.

got one more aesop rock video coming, shooting this weekend.

oh I shot on a Canon 60D with some 5D stuff mixed in.
- Buster Keaton

pete

- Buster Keaton

pete

whoa, months later, this is gonna debut on NPR's music page tomorrow.
will link soon.
- Buster Keaton

pete

- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Wow, that was great. And a really unique idea. The dancer gracefully jumping from piece to piece totally works.

I'm almost more excited that Bob Boilen wrote about you.

matt35mm

God fucking damn it, Pete. I expected this to be beautiful but it was still unexpectedly beautiful. You made me get caught off guard by my emotions. UGHHHHHHH. Superb work.

Reel

Wow, Pete. That was awesome! I like to think of the girl as an R2-D2 projection in the beginning. Almost thought I saw some titties at 4:54 :shock: turned out to be knees. Kind of like that Land of Lakes butter trick. Pause it, you'll know what I'm saying.

RegularKarate

I reposted this thing on Facebook. It's really great, Pete. Inspiring shit.

Sleepless

Incredible, Pete. Really beautiful. The write up is awesome too. Well done!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

InTylerWeTrust

What camera and what lenses did you use?..... Looks Gorgeous.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.