I directed a series of music videos

Started by pete, April 04, 2011, 12:52:03 PM

Cloudy

what a joy. what a fucking joy. so sexy, but even more human than sexy. the singer holds this all together in such a way. her energy is something really pure to witness........ i've been off media for a while, i read up on the fucked up things that happened in ethiopia after you said it did....it didn't really sober me up after watching this though, it felt entwined somehow.

Were those office shleps people from the actual start-up company? I imagine they'll never look at their office the same way again.

shit, started a new page, here's a link to Pete's recent we're talking about:

jenkins

pete goddamnit. i mean that's ridiculously good. could easily be a video in some "director's label" dvd. easily. plus your recent short was ridiculously good. i'd like to hear the backdoor chat that's gonna bring you to your feature, since at this point i think it's scientifically obvious you deserve one

i like how humor has been and continues to be on your core traits. 'cause you keep getting better but you don't stop being funny. respect. i laughed with and did not see coming the shot of the lower floor

pete

Quote from: Cloudy on April 23, 2015, 06:17:57 PM

Were those office shleps people from the actual start-up company? I imagine they'll never look at their office the same way again.

shit, started a new page, here's a link to Pete's recent we're talking about:

nah they were people we'd cast. mostly musicians and artists actually. most of the startup peeps nowadays don't even look like office workers. they all wear hoodies and think they're on Silicon Valley (the HBO show). A few of them had fros that I had to hide or move the camera around because I'd decided that it was sexier if only our main characters had afros but the extras had been cast already at that point.

Quote from: jenkins on April 23, 2015, 08:47:23 PM
pete goddamnit. i mean that's ridiculously good. could easily be a video in some "director's label" dvd. easily. plus your recent short was ridiculously good. i'd like to hear the backdoor chat that's gonna bring you to your feature, since at this point i think it's scientifically obvious you deserve one

i like how humor has been and continues to be on your core traits. 'cause you keep getting better but you don't stop being funny. respect. i laughed with and did not see coming the shot of the lower floor

I'm inching towards a feature but I've come to discover that in that little world, which is quite disconnected from the music video world, people still want to see a director's comfort with dialogue and blocking and some such thing. It's something that I'm working towards and I can't say I'm near mastering it. I don't know if I like comedy as much as I like payoffs. It's actually in my way a little bit since I'm trying to write scenes that feel more organic.

here is a little ad I directed (I direct lots of stupid ones that I'll never post on here) that has some type of payoff without going for a punchline.
https://vimeo.com/124724818

but I really envy the works of Louis CK and Alexander Payne and how they're able to tell stories of "ordinary people" in a way that is actually relatable (as opposed to you know, Malick or David Gordon Green who make them poetic and perhaps inaccessible) to the masses. I suspect some of that comes with age. Either way I'm talking to a few writers I like right now about this problem. I hope to make something soon where, at my highest aspiration, Alexander Payne meets Michael Mann.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

Quote from: pete on April 24, 2015, 05:45:01 PM
I'm inching towards a feature but I've come to discover that in that little world, which is quite disconnected from the music video world, people still want to see a director's comfort with dialogue and blocking and some such thing. It's something that I'm working towards and I can't say I'm near mastering it. I don't know if I like comedy as much as I like payoffs. It's actually in my way a little bit since I'm trying to write scenes that feel more organic.

here is a little ad I directed (I direct lots of stupid ones that I'll never post on here) that has some type of payoff without going for a punchline.
https://vimeo.com/124724818

but I really envy the works of Louis CK and Alexander Payne and how they're able to tell stories of "ordinary people" in a way that is actually relatable (as opposed to you know, Malick or David Gordon Green who make them poetic and perhaps inaccessible) to the masses. I suspect some of that comes with age. Either way I'm talking to a few writers I like right now about this problem. I hope to make something soon where, at my highest aspiration, Alexander Payne meets Michael Mann.

omg get outta here!

where to begin. so ok, screencaps:

love it. the bodily cuts (match cuts or something? object cuts? ever, i'm calling them bodily cuts) are nodoubt dependent on the needs of a commercial for an orthotics company, but i'd say you make "striking" contributions that allow them to become worthwhile on their own, including with the payoff at the end. these were also in the music video and i think it's a great talent you're developing

you got all these talents! and i know you been working on them a while, like it isn't "hmm yeah maybe he'll figure things out later," looks to me like you've figured out shit, but you're telling me there're things you still need to work on and you don't feel like you're near mastery. you give me thrills and chills, i tell ya, 'cause i would give you a million dollars or whatever

then also there's some WKG Creative setup that you don't gotta tell me about but sounds like a terrific adult foothold, and your production company is named Scandinavia?? i'm like kissing you everywhere right now and thanks for the updates

pete

thank you very much Jenkins.
it's hardly adult. there are couple of guys on this forum who are full force in the advertising world, and so far I've only dabbled in there. San Francisco is too close to LA so most of the fun gigs get passed down there. The WKG guys are pretty young and most of their clients are startups. the silver lining to working on ad campaigns with little money is you get to try more things. so in Sols' case - I got to do a story that actually deals with death. god I hope people buy those insoles or I'm dead.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton