Author Topic: INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)  (Read 154922 times)

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1301
    • Neon Burrito
Re: INHERENT VICE
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
ok random conversation. funny you dislike narrow margin, better not tell wim wenders! sweet smell is not a noir. omg random, nvm :))
Every perspective is an act of creation.

Larry

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »
The Big Sleep is fantastic, so is The Maltese Falcon. Bogart was a maverick.
...those aren't great movies, i don't think. imo they suck, tbh. pt has claimed to be a john huston fan and said nice things about treasure of the sierra madre, and i think in a lonely place is pretty good, but big sleep and maltese falcon don't strike me as examples of great or "maverick" film noirs.

that's too bad, because they are great movies. And sure, you could even call them maverick- but I was specifically referring to Bogart

wilder

• Respect: +1539
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
I know, I know. Most of my favorite "noirs" fall on the outskirts of the the genre. NotH, Melville's stuff, etc. It's all been talked about to death.

This is probably a conversation Xixax had in 2003 or something. Everyone else: how do you guys deal with the repetition of topics? It must drive you insane.

Larry

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
I know, I know. Most of my favorite "noirs" fall on the outskirts of the the genre. NotH, Melville's stuff, etc. It's all been talked about to death.

Which Melville films would you recommend? only ever seen Army of Shadows. Recently downloaded Bob le Flambeur

wilder

• Respect: +1539
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »

Which Melville films would you recommend? only ever seen Army of Shadows. Recently downloaded Bob le Flambeur

Most of them. Bob is great. Definitely Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge, Le Doulos, and Le Deuxieme Souffle. After those, Leon Morin, Priest, Le silence de la mer and Un Flic, although a lot people seem to be iffy on the latter. Magnet of Doom was kind of forgettable from what I recall. Les enfants terribles also didn't have much of an impact on me, but I haven't seen it for a long time.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1216
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »
Everyone else: how do you guys deal with the repetition of topics? It must drive you insane.

We are old now and can't remember anyway. 2003 was a long time ago.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
  • Respect: +435
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »
ok random conversation. funny you dislike narrow margin, better not tell wim wenders! sweet smell is not a noir. omg random, nvm :))

Wait, why?

jenkins

• Respect: +1301
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2013, 09:55:22 PM »
it's from 57, directed by alexander mackendrick, based on ernest lehman's writing, and stars a variety of people who are pretty cynical but not very criminal characters. it's about city and business, not film noir material

no good reason to think of it as a film noir
Every perspective is an act of creation.

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +957
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
Don't start with Robert Pattinson...

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +957
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »
+1
In reference to THIS

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
+1
http://www.popsugar.com/Robert-Pattinson-Vince-Vaughn-Joaquin-Phoenix-29131380

Can you imagine Vince Vaughn as Bigfoot and Robert Pattinson as Coy?
simply speculation

I would be happy with that.

Larry

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies-and-tv/201305/robert-downey-jr-profile-may-2013?printable=true

It was also through his father that Downey became close with Paul Thomas Anderson: "He was actually friends with my pop first. And then finally the three of us got together for a meal, and then we kind of branched off. P.T. and I like ribbing each other. He goes, 'How does it feel to be the shortest superstar in the world?' And I say, 'It's amazing. And who tagged on that other act in the movie after Joaquin drove off on the motorcycle? Because the movie ended there, right?' He just laughs. We live to rib each other, because he is as far on one side of the scale as I am to the other, presently, in people's perception, and yet we could finish each other's sentences all day." They discussed the possibility that Downey might be in Anderson's next movie, an adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice, and Downey says that he was into it but that Anderson ultimately wanted to make the movie with Joaquin Phoenix. "I think he told me I'm too old," says Downey, amused. "Which I love when people tell me."

via Cigarettes & Red Vines©

Pubrick

• Admin
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +769
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
cool. we might see him in the next one then.

and i guess pta doesn't consider tom cruise a superstar anymore.
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
  • Respect: +435
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
You know, because of my Radiohead bias, I'd love to see Jonny back on board again. He could do his paranoid, shifty jazz thing and chuck in some wah and fuzz drenched surf guitar riffs. Or whatever, it'll be good.

Fernando

• satan's little helper
  • Respect: +223
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »
+4
from: http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.mx/2013/04/exclusive-warner-bros-financing.html

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. Financing ‘Inherent Vice' Which Begins Shooting This Month; Robert Elswit Returning As DP

Lately we've been inundated with requests to find out what exactly is going on with Paul Thomas Anderson's adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's "Inherent Vice." The project -- which was first announced back in 2010 -- centers on a pothead private eye named Doc Sportello and his hazy adventures in late 60's Los Angeles. PTA had supposedly been interested in Robert Downey Jr. for the lead but ultimately decided to reunite with his "The Master" star Joaquin Phoenix instead and those who have seen the actor lately know that he's certainly been looking the part these days. But other than Phoenix's impressive sideburns, we had no real indication as to whether the film was still on track for the "late April/early May" dates pegged by producer JoAnne Sellar during our interview earlier this year. Since production has been so quiet recently we decided to do a little digging and have some great news to share with you all. What have we learned so far? Read on.

Warner Bros. Will Be Financing The Film
A few weeks ago The Wrap reporter Jeff Sneider caused a minor stir online when he tweeted that contrary to reports, Annapurna Pictures -- who were the saviors of "The Master" -- were not involved with 'Vice.' Well, this turns out to be completely true as a source close to production has revealed to us that "Inherent Vice" will be financed by Warner Bros. This will mark PTA's first time working with the studio (though they absorbed New Line who produced "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia"). Our source also told us things were "completely amicable" between Annapurna and PTA and both parties hope to work together again in the future.     

Shooting Will Begin This Month
With financing in place, shooting is indeed scheduled to start this month. Though we imagine most of the major roles have been locked down but not announced at this point, we have learned that PTA is still meeting with actors for some of the smaller roles. As with "The Master" cast, expect a flood of announcements to come just prior to shooting. We hear the script is "amazing" so it should have no problem attracting talent.

Robert Elswit Will Return As Cinematographer
This one is may seem obvious (and we speculated that this would likely be the case) but we can now confirm that cinematographer Robert Elswit -- who shot all of Paul's films except for "The Master" and picked up an Oscar for his work on "There Will Be Blood" -- will return to shoot "Inherent Vice." For those curious, "Inherent Vice" will shoot on 35mm film. (No digital, no 70mm.)

So the film is financed and will begin shooting in the next few weeks. Is there any better news than that? We certainly can't think of any. Stay tuned for much more very soon. And if you're involved with the production, why don't you drop us a line?

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy