Have you ever met a famous person/samsong?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, April 12, 2003, 01:31:47 PM

pete

yesterday I was hanging out in harvard square and I bumped into this guy, whom Ossie Davis and Howard Zinn and a bunch of people wrote a book on, named Brother Blue, who is a friend.  And while talking, Noam Chomsky walked by with two other cambridge-type academics.  Brother Blue was like, "hey, I want you to meet a friend of mine" and Noam shook my hand.  It was cool
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Film Student

I'm bored and can't sleep and this probably officially makes me a tool, but here goes:

I talked to Steven Tyler on the phone several years ago.   My mom used to write for an alternative weekly in Tulsa, and she was supposed to do a by-phone interview with him.  

I was at home by myself, and she hadn't gotten home from work yet, but the phone rings, I pick it up, and hear a raspy voice say

Steven Tyler: "May I speak to Crystal?"
Me: "Um, she's not quite home yet... wait a second, is this Steven Tyler?"
ST: (chuckles) "Yes it is."
Me: (sounding like an over-enthusiastic asshole) "What's up man?! I'm gonna see you at the OKC show next week.  You kick ass."
ST: (laughter) "Thanks.  What's your name?"
Me: "Josh."
ST: "Josh, huh? You sound a little nasally."
Me: "Yeah, I've got chronic allergy problems."
ST: (hard laughter) "You sure you haven't been snorting any of that nose candy?"
Me: (beat, incredulous) "uh, No man. Not today."
ST: "Well that's good to hear.  When should I call back?"
Me: "Probably, in like fifteen minutes."
ST: "Alright, thanks bud."

And that was that.  So no matter what happens in life, I can know that Steven Tyler once asked me if I had been snorting coke.

In addition, I've met Ethan Hawke, Michael Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Danny Glover.   I talked to a famous supermodel (I don't remember her name) when her and her very expensive shrink came down to the office I was working in and asked to borrow a pen so she could write him his check.  That was actually really funny. She was going on to him about how she really thinks she's made a breakthrough but she's still feeling anxiety about this and that and the other and so on.  Stupid neurotic supermodels.

I walked and talked with an old journalist from Life magazine who told me funny stories about Billy Wilder and then let me see his (Wilder's) old office.  I touched Billy Wilder's workdesk.  I thought that was pretty cool.

Me and a buddy were on the roof of the LA Film School across the street from the Catwoman premiere at the Arclight.  When Sharon Stone got out of her limo, my friend yelled "Hey Sharon! Show us your snatch!" And I swear to god she looked up and shot us a dirty look.

Also, I saw PTA in his car at an intersection in Beverly Hills.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Alethia

for all of us obsessed pta fans:

what kind of car was it????

Film Student

Quote from: eward
what kind of car was it????

Some sort of Mercedes or VW or Volvo... I don't know shit about cars so I really couldn't tell you.
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Pwaybloe

Film Student, I vaugely remember the Steven Tyler story.  Did you post that on the C&C boards?

Film Student

probably... didn't we have a famous people thread over there?
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

xerxes

Quote from: Film Studentprobably... didn't we have a famous people thread over there?

I think i remember one

Ultrahip

im friends with noah hutton, son of timothy and debra winger, and his step dad is arnold something or other, private cowboy from full metal jacket. haven't seen noah for a few years, though, but last time his mom cooked us pasta. that was cool, pasta from debra winger.

a separate time, i think, we were in new york and going to a recording studio because noah plays drums and i felt like watching and hadn't seen the band for a while..wait this was the same trip as the pasta time but whatever...and anyhow while driving through nyc some nutty cabman was honking and screaming and pointing at us, then it turned it he was actually "the nicest cab driver in new york" as timothy said, because he was just letting us know we had a flat. the taxi driver did not ask for a gratuity either, which was classy.

also the dad from lizzie maguire came into a sandwhich shop i worked in, as did jerry stiller. both of them ordered sandwhiches. this was on separate occasions.

Alethia

Quote from: Ultrahiphis step dad is arnold something or other, private cowboy from full metal jacket.

isn't that arliss howard?

Sara Shagal

Gael Garcia Bernal- Film screening for The Motorcycle Diaries
Jean-Pierre Jeunet- Film screening for A Very Long Engagement
Dustin Hoffman picked me up when I was a baby at Disneyland because he thought I was cute...
Saw Aaron Spelling playing golf at his mansion in Hollywood.

QuoteI once met Roman Polanski. When I was in Poland last year (where I actually come from) I was in Krakau and inside a coffee shop he was sitting there, drinking a coffee and reading the newspaper. I wanted to have an autograph, so I just took some sheed of paper, a pencil and went up to him. He's a really nice guy with a soft voice. In his eyes you can really kinda feel what everything happened to him in his life. I just told him that I really love his autobiography and his movies and that I want to become a filmmaker someday. He said I shouldn't give up my dream and fight for it because if you want to be a filmmaker, you can pull it off and become one.

And I am insanely jealous about that :bravo:

Thrindle

Quote from: Sara ShagalGael Garcia Bernal- Film screening for The Motorcycle Diaries
This borders on hatred, not jealousy. :yabbse-wink:
Classic.

modage

i just met Mike Myers and a few weeks ago i met David Cross.  and i saw Heather Graham on the street a few weeks ago shopping alone but didnt say anything.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

yes and yes and i didnt talk to her but she was very hot, so yes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

I've heard David Cross is really cool. He got stoned with some of my friends. I wasn't there cause I had summer school in the morning.

HAHA, okay...I was there.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.