The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: tpfkabi on November 28, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
I just watch it unable to form the strong good/bad episode opinions, but the Daryl/saddle scene was painful (as in not good).

Yeah that was very bizarre, silly, and out of character. He's had enough character development (thank God) that it's no longer realistic for him to haphazardly blurt out hateful things at people he cares about.

diggler

I would react in a similar way if the ugly mother of the lost child I'm looking for in order to find a sense of purpose and morality in a post apocalyptic world told me to not look for her child because she wants to bang me.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

Hmm I might have missed some subtext there.

Neil

"we don't need to lost you too. (mumbles) let's bang"

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52526

Yes, I know it's from the hacky "Ain't It Cool News", but it does present an awesome sense of potential that has been squandered now that a kick-ass visionary is no longer involved in this "beloved" series

Brando

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on January 08, 2012, 07:43:57 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52526

Yes, I know it's from the hacky "Ain't It Cool News", but it does present an awesome sense of potential that has been squandered now that a kick-ass visionary is no longer involved in this "beloved" series

This just reaffirms the notion I had when I first heard of Darabont's leaving.  I felt the first season was too quickly paced but forgivable since they only had eight or nine episodes to tell that story.  I thought in the second season there was a lot of potential when they had twelve or thirteen episodes.  This would allow the plot, writing and characters to breath a little allowing for interesting subplots or episodes.  They wouldn't have to be so focused on getting the characters to the CDC but could have an episode like Darabont's excellent idea for the episode.  While I found the first season quickly paced, I thought the second has been a little slow.  If they would have used Darabont's idea for the season opener then told the same story in one less episode might have helped.  Also, I can't see such a great idea and big budget story be meant for a webisode.

2011 has been a horrendous year for AMC.  Darabount leaves or is forced out of Walking Dead.  I can't remember why or sure I really understand why he no longer part of the show.  They allow their quintessential series Mad Men to be delayed to the point of having to wait till the next year before the series can begin after having the series be off for a year and half.  Potentially had Breaking Bad not coming back for a final season or possibly having the series move to another network.  Allowing a show like The Killing that had so much potential and promise through the first three episodes to dissolve throughout the season and become just bad.  Finally, the show Hell on wheels is not up to par with the rest of the series on the channel.  I read the pilot script before watching it and not sure why AMC chose to green light the show.  Come on AMC!  You got a great line up.  Get your shit together.  
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

Just watched the mid-season premier.

For this episode, it's as if they made a long list of "things new viewers will need to know" and made a script out of that. It took me a while to realize it. That pretty much explains all the scenes in which one character, in inexplicably emphatic tones, tells another character something that's previously happened in the show, which the other character already knows. "Ohh, they're talking to the audience, not each other. This makes more sense now."

And in fact, it would have been far more entertaining with that foreknowledge. So you're welcome.

The episode was surprisingly decent in spite of all that. The method of having long quiet passages mixed with short intense scenes of action is actually working.

SPOILER

The worst thing about the episode was Lori's incident. That was quite stupid. Unless that walker crawls into the car and eats her and her somehow as-of-yet unzombified fetus. I would support that.

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 13, 2012, 12:34:49 AM

SPOILER

The worst thing about the episode was Lori's incident. That was quite stupid. Unless that walker crawls into the car and eats her and her somehow as-of-yet unzombified fetus. I would support that.

SPOILERS

I hated Lori's accident. I can't stand it when characters do something stupid for no reason other than to create drama. There was no reason for Lori to go after Rick and Hershel. I thought the show ended well. It's interesting how seeing zombies is no longer shocking but when the group encounters other survivors that is now shocking. I liked the saloon standoff although I thought it was poorly done. JUSTIFIED SPOILER: the first episode of this season's Justified is an excellent example of how to set up and end an episode with a standoff. 
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

Quote from: Brando on February 13, 2012, 05:28:24 PMI thought the show ended well. It's interesting how seeing zombies is no longer shocking but when the group encounters other survivors that is now shocking. I liked the saloon standoff although I thought it was poorly done. JUSTIFIED SPOILER: the first episode of this season's Justified is an excellent example of how to set up and end an episode with a standoff.

I thought that scene was great. I especially liked how the exact nature of the two was gradually revealed in the scene. The AV Club recap summed it up pretty well:

QuoteHe and Tony are sick of wandering, and they want a new home, but there's something off about them. Tony casually takes a piss against a wall, and, sure, Dave is friendly, but it's not a trust-worthy kind of friendliness. Rick catches on immediately, Hershel does soon after, and it all builds to a shoot-out that leaves the two strangers dead.

This is one of the best scenes I've seen on the show so far, and it does any number of things that The Walking Dead has struggled with in the past. The tension builds naturally (due in no small part to Raymond-James), the dialogue has actual subtext, and there's a clear sense of risk here that never pauses to telegraph itself. There's no obvious and immediate proof that Dave and Tony are bad guys, but they're suspicious just the same, and the suspense comes from never knowing just how much of a threat they really pose. I've seen this sort of sequence play out in dozens of movies before (although there isn't much in the way of pop culture references, this has a Tarantino vibe to it, that sense of two men feeling each other out with words before they reach the point where violence is inevitable), but that didn't make this particular example any less exciting to watch.

Brando

I liked the scene.  Thought it's one of the best scenes of the entire series. Just whenever the show gets really good it shows it has potential of being a great show but never lives up to it. I think that scene sums up the entire series. It was really good but could have been great. Or I could just be me being too judgmental due to my anger over Lori.

Brando

Spoilers

Usually with this series, I'm left thinking there is a better group of writers out there that could have done better with this plot or show. But tonight's show however I loved. I think they were brave enough to deliver on stuff they set up that I've seen other shows not deliver. First, I'm glad they didn't drag out Lori's stupid decision to go after Rick which I still don't understand.  I also liked that other characters suggested that Lori's decision was stupid where other shows would ignore that FACT. While the episode did a lot to set up of the rest of the season I especially liked how they handled the Jack, Sawyer and Kate situation or I mean the Rick, Shawn and Lori situation. I think I'm one of the many that ended up hating Kate's character in Lost. After seeing this episode it gives me hope that these writers are willing to confront issues instead of ignore them like Lost did.

polkablues

The Lori-Rick-Shane storyline is turning into a Macbeth riff and I love it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Some awkward writing as usual, but I liked the episode. It was especially well-directed. I loved that last shot on Rick. There was also a really oddball sequence (that I liked) inside the house when the camera followed around different sets of characters briefly (35:18).

The silly event of the week was definitely Glenn's pseudo-heroic pouting about not being brave enough.

Quote from: Brando on February 20, 2012, 02:05:33 AMI think I'm one of the many that ended up hating Kate's character in Lost. After seeing this episode it gives me hope that these writers are willing to confront issues instead of ignore them like Lost did.

Oh no you didn't! I will defend Lost to the death. What issues did Lost ignore?

Here's another Lost parallel... the new sort-of-prisoner and the whole "what do we do with him?" scenario is somewhat like Henry Gale in Lost Season 2.

diggler

Last night seemed like a different show. I enjoyed the Justified-esque standoff at the end of the mid-season premiere and it seems like they're trying to give the show a bit more momentum.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

One of the best episodes yet.  :yabbse-thumbup: