The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Pas

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 02:16:27 PM
but I don't think I have any real deal embarrassments like y'all are throwing around.

The real embarrassment is your Top 4 of the decade! oh snap!

New Feeling

Pas

Captain of Industry

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 02:24:47 PM
I don't get it

Keep walking?  It means there's going to be trouble if you stick around.  But maybe you're a trouble-rouser, I don't know.  Anyway don't call people idiotic, imply shame over not having seen all 'legit' American classics, say you have no shame yourself, and also provide a list of in my mind essential foreign films that you haven't seen yourself.  You're just being thorny.

Alexandro

Regarding cinema is hard no to be "ethnocentric", meaning american cinema first everything else later. So I think what New Felling is sayin is that the usual is, you catch on the standard american AFI bla bla classics first and then as time passes you start expanding into heavy shit like Ordet (which I just first saw like 2 months ago).

About catching on spontaneously with things like Tootsie or Gandhi...well...it depends on the person I guess. I used to like watching every film I could of certain actors...like Dustin Hoffman or you know, Meryl Streep...I saw every damn thing Steve Buscemi ever did, including some wildly horrible crap, but it was something I liked to do back then with friends.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 28, 2010, 02:32:12 PM
Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 02:28:23 PM
dude you turned off Boogie Nights

Dammit I now live in a glass house!
hahaha!

i hope new feeling gets that. your other post was hilarious too.

seriously this is a fun thread, no need to get all serious or call someone idiotic for no goddamn reason. i think stefen had a good point, he was talking about how even for Pete to watch the godfather right now it won't be that great cos he already knows everything that happens. just from watching the simpsons you would already know every major line, character arc, and the climax. part of the thrill of watching those classics must've been seeing new genres develop or perfected, now we see them as tame by comparison to their offspring. it's a good point and not idiotic at all.
under the paving stones.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Alexandro on April 28, 2010, 02:39:12 PM
I saw every damn thing Steve Buscemi ever did, including some wildly horrible crap, but it was something I liked to do back then with friends.

Including Kiss Daddy Goodnight?  My friends and I used to pass that film around as sort of so-bad-it-might-kill-you movie, a la The Ring.  It's unwatchable.

©brad

Fine I'll go.

::deep breath::

I've never seen Star Wars! I mean, I did see 20 minutes of New Hope on TV once, but that was it.

Make fun of me at your leisure, but get too nasty and I will ban a bitch.

Pubrick

OH MY GOD.

thank you for bringing the game the fuck UP.

pas i think you'll have to ready those remaining embarrassments.. your glass house just got a little sturdier. this won't do!
under the paving stones.

Pas

Never seen Star Wars?! Now that is just fuckin weird  :shock:

I don't know if I'm ready to confess about the other shit... it's really awful, but Star Wars is kind of a gamechanger.

The Perineum Falcon

I've never seen The Good, The Bad & The Ugly; my dad keeps reminding me about it....

or Close Encounters of the Third Kind

those are the most immediate examples I can think of, but there are so many more.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alexandro

Yes i saw that one, kiss daddy...didn't remember until now!!! But the one that will always stay in my brain as huge example of badness is VIBES, with cindy lauper and jeff goldblum...buscemi was lauper's lawyer or something.

I saw the first star wars complete until I was 13, never liked it.

New Feeling

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 02:37:07 PM
Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 02:24:47 PM
I don't get it

Keep walking?  It means there's going to be trouble if you stick around.  But maybe you're a trouble-rouser, I don't know.  Anyway don't call people idiotic, imply shame over not having seen all 'legit' American classics, say you have no shame yourself, and also provide a list of in my mind essential foreign films that you haven't seen yourself.  You're just being thorny.

What kinda trouble should I be avoiding here?  You going to kick my ass or something?  I'm not looking for trouble I just think what Stephan said was idiotic, not that I think he's an idiot necessarily.  In fact I love him unconditionally if that makes you feel better.  I thought this whole thread was about implying shame at not having seen certain movies, so I don't know what I did wrong there.  Doesn't embarrassment correlate to shame?  The main reason I don't have any shame is because I legitimately want to see all of these movies and don't think I can judge a well-respected movie by it's cover, so to speak.  The reason I didn't think those world cinema classics really fit the theme of the thread is because I assume a very small percentage of boarders has seen any of them, not that they are any less legit films.  There are a zillion great obscure films I still want to see but I don't think that's what this thread is about.  

And P I think you are completely off base in what you're saying about the Godfather.  I could watch that shit today and be completely amazed at how good it is despite having seen it at least a dozen times.  Surprises are good and all but most great movies are just as good, if not better, the second time.  At least that's my experience.  Sure part of the thrill of anything is watching new genres develop and all that, but that can be done, more clearly even, in retrospect.  While I love seeing a movie on opening day as much as anyone, I don't think any good film's power diminishes much over time, that's basically the mark of quality as far as I'm concerned.  And no amount of pop-culture references can ruin the surprise of seeing a beautiful work of art in all it's glory.  

keep on truckin'

Alexandro

it's obvious I think. just because you believe you KNOW everything about a supposed classic doesn't mean you know shit. the only way to find out is to see the movie...