Glee

Started by MacGuffin, November 20, 2009, 04:21:40 PM

MacGuffin

Fuck it, this show deserves its own thread. I know many of us watch it.

This past week's was the best episode so far (the football team doing Single Ladies being a close second). Great writing; funny, yet very touching. The scene with Quinn and her parents was so powerful.

Best line: "I have to go. They'll think I'm pooping."

Anyone have a link to the soundtrack?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

I have been watching it too. I've been underwhelmed by the music and the dancing, but I love the show for its characters and the writing. My favorite episode is Throwdown. You're right, though, the Quinn and parents scene was definitely powerful.

Tictacbk

No surprise, Fox gives 'Glee' an early renewal
Source: LA Times

In news sure to make Gleeks around the world shriek in delight, Fox announced the hit show has been officially picked up for a second season.
The network made the "Glee" renewal announcement this morning as part of its Television Critics Assn. media tour presentation.

"We've loved 'Glee' ever since it was a pilot script, so it's been an incredible thrill to watch the show take root and see audiences embrace these characters in such a huge way this season," Fox Entertainment President Kevin Reilly said in a statement. "The show is a true and rare gem in television. We couldn't be more proud of what Ryan Murphy and the 'Glee' team have created so far and can't wait to see what they come up with for Season Two."

"Glee" was a hot hit this year and recently picked up four Golden Globe nominations for its first season, including best television series, musical or comedy. The show also just took home a People's Choice Award and earned a spot on the American Film Institute's list of the top 10 TV programs of the year.

This is like Christmas when you get the present you've been asking for all year, shake the package the night before and still have enough excitement to show for Mom and Dad.

But it gets better. The show is about to go all "American Idol" on us in February, when a search is launched for actors to fill three new roles. Auditions will be open to amateurs as well as professionals between the ages of 16 to 26.
The casting search and process will be chronicled in a multi-part special that will air leading up to the premiere of the series' second season this fall, when the new cast members will be revealed.

New episodes return on April 13, when the show moves to Tuesdays. Time to brush off these rusty pipes and prepare an audition. "Somebody to Love," or a mash-up of "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Bad Romance"?

ono

I too have been watching it.  It's no surprise there's not more of a following here.  There are some grating parts, but overall it's pretty enjoyable.  One must suspend a lot of disbelief to believe a kid stupid/naive/in enough denial to believe in immaculate conception.  I might be mistaken, but I thought early on the performances were legitimate, and the switch to lip syncing is ingenuine for a show like this, and I really wish they'd go back to recording live sound.  Maybe there's a production aspect I'm overlooking, but I doubt it.  Part of the charm is that these kids are talented, so to take away that part of the performance is, like I said, ingenuine.  The villain is grating, too, but I guess necessary.  It's good popcorn television.  This is the best part of the show:

Her character's not too bright, though.

Bethie

I'm a total Gleek now. This show leaves me with a smile on my face and wanting to dance.

:yabbse-thumbup:
who likes movies anyway

ono

You beat me to reviving this thread.  Good news: Glee is back.  Bad news: I can only imagine the depths of depravity the previous Madonna-themed episode must've driven Mac to.  Still hate the fakery of the performances and wish Sue would go away ... but, the Like a Virgin segment was pretty well done.

polkablues

They need to run far, far away from the concept of "theme" episodes like the Madonna one.  The show already rides a fine line between endearingly absurd and off-the-rails unbelievable, and making the writers awkwardly retrofit a story around a selection of songs, rather than selecting songs to fit the plot, pushes them hard over that line.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Quote from: polkablues on April 27, 2010, 04:48:28 PM
They need to run far, far away from the concept of "theme" episodes like the Madonna one.

Ugh, right. That Madonna episode was the worst of the series. At least Madonna wasn't in it, that would've pushed it right over the edge for me.

MacGuffin

I'm starting to worry that Glee is playing into their own hype and catering to the audience. The returning episodes already feel like the songs are being placed in the forefront, giving storylines a back seat. It's like, since the show is a hit, they can get rights to any song they want and use them just to use them.

Still though, Brittany had the best line: Dolphins are just gay sharks.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Bleurgh.  It's really been a month since this thread's been posted in?  Oh well.  Figures.  I'm losing my patience with this show.  Uh, spoilers.  From introducing Rachel's mom in a twist fitting of a soap opera, to pushing her aside just as quickly (though great casting -- kudos there).  To the whole gay son/nails-on-chalkboard-annoying crush-on-Finn thing, to the heavy-handed one-dimensional jocks bad/gay (different) good whatev.  Lady Gaga's music is good.  Glee's homage is not.  And it's especially painful hearing them talk directly about her impact.  This is slowly becoming a show I'll watch out of habit, like Lost, no matter how bad it's gotten, just to see how the ensuing trainwreck/clusterfuck ends.  The only difference is there's no illusion of depth.  I can only wonder about the potential of this show in more capable hands; ditto for Lost though, but that's neither here nor there.

Pubrick

well i'm glad i never jumped on this blandwagon.

never saw the appeal of a bunch of nobodies (except for jane lynch) hamming their way through one bullshit parody after another. it's like that one scene in american pie where chris klein (whoever that is) is training with the choir which was just embarrassing and cringe worthy, cos it's obviously someone trying REALLY hard to make something stupid look interesting.. especially when he "gets into the moment" and does his own beebop bit after everyone's stopped singing. glee is like that. EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
under the paving stones.

Pas

This show is now awful really.

Neil

Quote from: P on May 27, 2010, 07:03:12 PM
well i'm glad i never jumped on this blandwagon.

never saw the appeal of a bunch of nobodies (except for jane lynch) hamming their way through one bullshit parody after another. it's like that one scene in american pie where chris klein (whoever that is) is training with the choir which was just embarrassing and cringe worthy, cos it's obviously someone trying REALLY hard to make something stupid look interesting.. especially when he "gets into the moment" and does his own beebop bit after everyone's stopped singing. glee is like that. EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

Took the american pie analogy right out of my mouth.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Tictacbk

Well regardless of how far into the ground they run it next season its gonna be around for a while...

'Glee' Gets Picked Up For Third Season
Source: MTV

As the first season of "Glee" nears its June 8 season finale, Gleeks will be happy to hear that the show will be around for at least another two seasons. On Monday (May 24), it was announced that Fox has picked up the show for a third season.

Variety reports that the show will be back for more musical filled laughs and drama for the next two years. "Glee" was the highest-rated show of the new season, following a special launch after the "American Idol" finale last May. In the year it's been on the air, it has garnered critical acclaim and a rabid fanbase.

Ratings continued to thrive in the second half of the season, when the show has aired in the plum post-"Idol" spot. Guest stars have included everyone from Neil Patrick Harris and Olivia Newton-John to Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel, and the show has paid homage to Madonna and, in this week's episode, Lady Gaga.

"I never thought the show would even last," show creator Ryan Murphy recently said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. "I just didn't think people would get it. It truly is a show that the fans think is theirs, that they discovered it."

Murphy remains wary of backlash in the face of his show's success. "I told [the kids] at the beginning, 'When you burn hot, there will always be a moment when they turn on you, and then they'll come back around. You just have to learn how to navigate it,' " he told the magazine. "Now you can feel we've gone from sort of America's squeaky-clean sweetheart to 'Lea Michele snubs photographer!' Like, really?"

Bethie

I'm completely obsessed with Glee. I can't wait for its return next week. I've been rocking my knee high socks just like Rachel Berry!

The opening of the Emmys?  

Glee + BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE? I couldn't ask for more!
who likes movies anyway