UK Cinema Documentary

Started by modage, May 18, 2009, 12:02:08 PM

modage

Scorsese & Editor Gear Up For 'The British Invasion'; Their Long-Gestating U.K. Cinema Doc
Source: ThePlaylist

Academy-Award winning editor and long-time collaborator of Martin Scorsese, Thelma Schoonmaker (the two met way back in their NYU film school days) is finally getting back to work with Scorsese on the two's long-gestating documentary which focuses on British cinema.

In an interview, which appeared in Screendaily Magazine, but is not available online, Scorsese is quoted as saying "As soon as we finish mixing 'Shutter Island,' which will be in August, Thelma and I are going to go back and take up where we were in the British documentary and hopefully construct a rough cut by the time i shoot my next picture."

Scorsese has a long-standing love for British cinema and in the Screendaily mag interview also said it has influenced him greatly. "'Kind Hearts And Coronets' was a big favorite among my family and people who were watching television in the early 1950s. It's a film that influences a great deal of what I do with voice-over."

He also just revealed a restored edition of Schoonmaker's late husband and legendary British filmmaker Michael Powell's "The Red Shoes" at Cannes and cited it as one of his major cinematic influences, along with other British films such as "The Blue Lamp," "An inspector Calls," plus the work of Joseph Losey, Seth Holt, Ronald Neame, John Gilling.

A special edition DVD and Blue-ray release of Powell's "The Red Shoes" is currently set for a June 29th release date
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.