Alejandro Jodorowsky

Started by MacGuffin, May 20, 2008, 12:48:03 AM

MacGuffin

Lynch's Absurda sells 'King' rights
Nolte, Argento star in Jodorowsky-directed film
Source: Variety

David Lynch is on a mission to return 79-year-old director Alejandro Jodorowsky to the helm of a motion picture.
Lynch's sales, distribution and interactive media company, Absurda, is selling world rights to the violent metaphysical spaghetti gangster pic "King Shot," which Jodorowsky, the filmmaker behind "El Topo" and "Santo Sangre," would direct with stars Nick Nolte, Asia Argento and Marilyn Manson.

Lynch will exec produce the pic, which is a French-American co-production of Clavis Films and Industrial Entertainment. Producers are Simon Shandor and Eric Bassett. Vilmos Zsigmond has signed on to photograph the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Vilmos Zsigmond? fuck yeah! I can't wait for this.

Edit: Asia Argento: Yay! Marilyn Manson: Boo! fucking Boo.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Alejandro Jodorowsky plans October shoot for King Shot
Source: Screen Daily

UJ Budapest FilmStudio's Laszlo Kantor has revealed further details of one of the more colourful projects currently being hatched in the market, Alejandro Jodorowsky's King Shot.

Financing is nearing completion on the $7.4m (€5.5m) film, first announced in Cannes last year and billed as a "metaphysical spaghetti western." An Italian partner is poised to board the film and shooting has now been set for early October in Spain

Kantor is co-producing alongside an array of partners, among them David Lynch, whose outfit Absurda is handling world sales. Paris-based Hungarian Simon Shandor of Clavis Film is the lead producer.

The project stars Nick Nolte, Cannes jury member Asia Argento, Udo Kier and Marilyn Manson. Vilmos Zsigmond has now been brought on board as cinematographer.

The film marks the maverick Jodorowsky's return to directing after a 20 year break. His earlier works, including Santa Sangre, El Topo and The Holy Mountain, have made the Chilean auteur a cult figure.

King Shot is one of the many co-productions in which the prolific Kantor is involved. He was the Hungarian co-producer on Caroline Strubbe's Critics' Week entry Lost Persons Area (sold by UMedia.) Kantor is also due to start work on director Dimitar Mitovski's black comedy, Mission London, a Bulgarian-Hungarian co-production.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

max from fearless

Just watched "Jodorowsky's Dune" and I absolutely loved it and now need to see an ACTUAL Jodorowsky film, can anyone recommend a good place to start?

santa sangre is his most accessible, start there. then get into his really weird stuff, the holy mountain first, then fando and lis, then el topo.

max from fearless

Cheers 03! Gonna get on the train tonight, Let the mayhem begin!

max from fearless

Ok, so I watched "Santa Sangre" and Jesus, What a trip! I thought the first half of the film was incredible. It's flow effortless, one primal image/scene/set-piece after another. A variety of musical interludes, circus energy, perversions and madness all played with conviction and total devotion by every actor on-screen. (I haven't seen a devotion to cinematic madness like this, since Sion Sono's "Love Exposure") So many great scenes, the father throwing knives at the tattooed woman, the two kids meeting and falling in love, the elephant being "buried", the wife being pulled up by her hair and then going after the lovers, the father giving his son his tattoo, the church being demolished "IT'S HOLY BLOOD!!!" "IT'S HOLY BLOOD!!!" All feverish, possessed, magical and primal.

When the film went from flashback to present time, I was sure it would lose steam but still some incredible images and scenes. Visually, this guy is a beast, from colours to compositions to production design...I died a thousand times when the pimp like guy gave the down syndrome kids cocaine to sniff. The film seemed to have no limits and was bursting with so many ideas (on a variety of mythological/psychological/religious/sexual/political levels) and bursting with humour, sadness, loss, energy, sex, desire, obsession, madness, confidence and violence.

With every scene I was fearing that the movie wouldn't be able to sustain itself, that it would combust and alas, when the film turned from a Fellini-like parade of rituals and tragic circus adventures into a kind-of serial killer movie, it didn't lose it's energy and vitality, but I felt it lost it's circus heart/identity to a degree. The film's latter incarnation didn't lack power, if anything I loved the mother and son dynamic and the power plays of that story (which brought to mind Bergman's "Sawdust and Tinsel" as well as "Psycho" and "Peeping Tom") but the first half from that opening shot of the eagle's pov descending on the circus, was pretty much the stuff dreams are made of. Maybe it's because the first half, gave the appearance of being looser, (when it's actually tight tight tight) slightly more episodic, instead of a build up of events and cause n effect like the second half was? For this particular story, that looser-episodic vibe somehow worked better, as opposed to it's full embrace of the horror genre, with it's inevitable showdowns and confrontations of evil and madness. I definitely felt that the images and set pieces were stronger in the first half, those images were puncturing holes in my subconscious and I must admit that I had to fast-forward several moments because they were really getting under my skin.

I can't wait to now see "The Holy Mountain", it's such a pleasure to be discovering such an original voice and a bit tragic that this guy has only made 6 or 7 films. His "Dune" would've been absolutely incredible and mad and true. Thanks again for the recommendation!

jenkins

From Alejandro Jodorowsky And King Khan, Awesome Black Power Tarot Cards
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3049348/from-alejandro-jodorowsky-and-king-khan-awesome-black-power-tarot-cards

QuoteAs Khan's friends and tarot teacher, Jodorosky came onto the project to oversee the production of the deck, giving the final approval for the design and the list of people featured.

jenkins

His new movie is titled Endless Poetry btw

OpO1832

jenkins

ENDLESS POETRY opens in NY & LA on 7/14 & more theaters on 7/24!

QuoteThrough renowned father of the midnight movies Alejandro Jodorowsky's intensely personal lens, Endless Poetry tells the story of his years spent as an aspiring poet in Chile in the 1940's.Against the wishes of his authoritarian father, the 20 year old Jodorowsky leaves home to pursue his dream of becoming a poet, and is introduced into the bohemian and artistic inner circle of Santiago where he meets Enrique Lihn, Stella Diaz Varín, Nicanor Parra, all unknown at the time, but who would later become driving forces of twentieth century Hispanic literature.

Living with these inspirational artists, Jodorowsky's exploration of his inner feelings takes him on a journey of sensual experimentation leading him to realize his innermost desires and passions.

Continuing the autobiographical story he began in The Dance of Reality, Endless Poetry is an ode to the quest for beauty and inner truth, as a universal force capable of changing one's life forever, written by a man who has dedicated his existence to creating spiritual and artistic awareness, told through Jodorowsky's unique surreal and psychedelic visual language.

jenkins

i can't not be impressed by him every time i'm reminded of him. i only don't think about him all the time because i'd end up imitating him, except good luck to me on that. here are covers related to some of Jodorowsky's writing journeys

Drenk

(Today a friend from Twitter posted a picture of Jodoroswky doing Tarot with a lot of people around him in a café. Fun. https://twitter.com/FelHaus/status/877541914849021952)
Ascension.

jenkins

noted:

Darren Aronofsky Talks with Alejandro Jodorowsky - podcast

QuoteOn the latest episode of the Talkhouse Podcast, two cinematic titans are in conversation as Darren Aronofsky sits down with the legendary Alejandro Jodorowsky, to coincide with the theatrical release of the 88-year-old cult director's new film, Endless Poetry. The two have a fascinating, wide-ranging conversation that takes in the challenge of making art within the Hollywood system, the ability of films to heal, the vulgarity of Trump and life's big questions – death, God, aliens, the universe – and Jodorowsky also fulfills a longheld dream of the Black Swan director's by reading his tarot.