film podcasts

Started by Gamblour., January 25, 2008, 03:25:01 PM

Gamblour.

Jeremy Blackman note: This is split from a TWBB thread. Please list/discuss film podcasts!

Quote from: idk on January 24, 2008, 09:11:10 PM
There is a podcast on itunes called Filmspotting which is free to download. In a recent episode they discuss twbb at length and they also talk about it breifly in their "top 10 movies of 2007" episode in which both hosts put blood in the middle of their lists due to the final act which "derails" the movie which would have otherwise been the best of the year.

Yeah, I'm obsessed with finding good film podcasts, and I got those guys. THEY ARE TERRIBLE. They had an interview with Diablo Cody and Ellen Page, and of course the dumb fucker starts off, "Best script this year by a former stripper!" which really adds to his journalistic integrity. Then, he explains that prior to the interview (which was set up in a hotel and multiple reporters went into seperately to interview them) he said that he heard the reporter before him cracking the two up and having a great time and that he didn't get the same reaction. The recorded interview starts and it's pretty fucking obvious why. His questions were, "So how did you begin to write the script?" or "What attracted you to Juno, Ellen?" OH MY GOD. Such fucking boring softballs. And I can't blame Cody or Page, they started spitting out answers I'd already heard on NPR verbatim. Don't listen to these assholes.
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Gamblour. on January 25, 2008, 03:25:01 PMI'm obsessed with finding good film podcasts

Have you found any good ones?

Gamblour.

NPR: Movies is really the best. It covers all the bases from interviews to lists to analysis. A.O. Scott's NYTimes Movies podcast is just a review of a film, but anything from him is worth listening to, and it's got video to go along with it. I've subscribed to Filmspotting, Scene Unseen, and Movies You Should See on iTunes, but have only listened to Filmspotting (and as I mention, they suck). But please let me know if someone worth listening to starts a podcast. I would love a David Bordwell-type for a podcast, or Charlie Rose.
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Gamblour. on January 26, 2008, 12:40:55 AM
NPR: Movies is really the best.

That's the only one I've followed. I thought there would be more. What ever happened to the Ebert & Roeper podcast?

Actually, I guess I listen to Joe Morgenstern's podcast too, which is called "KCRW's Film Reviews." It's very short.

Redlum

My favourite movie reviews come from a man called Dr Mark Kermode. Strangely, in the UK the best movie reviews can be found on a station which is predominantly a Sports channel. He's somewhat of an acquired taste and his unrestrained style can be quite alarming but he's honest and he really cares about films but also the state of cinema.

His weekly review podcasts can be found here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/entertainment/kermode.shtml

His favourite film is The Exorcist. His least favourite film(s) is/are Pirates of the Carribean (his 10 minute rant/tirade against can be found here: as an example of his extremes).
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Reel

A few film podcasts I've stumbled across lately and enjoyed:

We Hate Movies - This show began in 2010, the same year as 'How Did This Get Made?' and is practically the same concept, but I think these guys are meaner because they don't actually have careers in Hollywood. It's a solid show with guaranteed laughs every episode and that good ol' "common sense criticism" we've all come to know and love so much from HDTGM. Check it out on a rainy day, I think you'll be surprised.

Wham Bam Pow - This is a scifi/action movie based show where the hosts attempt to do a straightforward review, but silliness ensues since they're all comics. I wasn't sure how I felt about Cameron Esposito as a personality at first but her views on movies in this podcast have made me respect her a lot more as a likeminded individual. I think I agreed with pretty much everything she didn't like about 'Interstellar'.

Maltin On Movies - In this show, Leonard Maltin and comedian Baron Vaughn pick a topic and then discuss three different movies surrounding it- One that's 'really good', A sleeper hit, and then a BOMBarooski. Or at least I think that's how it works. Maltin is Maltin with his encyclopedic film knowledge and refined tastes, Baron Vaughn I've only known as a podcast personality, but never took him for much of a 'film guy'. He knows his shit though, and the conversation flows easily in this one. New show, only 4 episodes in, SHOW SOME SUPPORT!!

Jeremy Blackman

OMG I've been listening to Wham Bam Pow forever and even endorsed it here like 5 years ago, apparently in the wrong thread (must have been the general podcast thread). It's quite good. I like that they're not meatheaded sci-fi/action fans in the least, and that they like to stretch the definition of those genres, and that they can be pretty down on comic book movies. Still a must-listen for me.

Jeremy Blackman

The /Filmcast is my favorite movie podcast now. I've sort of been devouring it. Consistently entertaining and insightful and well-produced.

In one of their TV segments, they raved about The Leftovers S2, Fargo S2, Nathan For You S3, and Mr. Show all within in the space of 5 minutes. They align so closely with my tastes that it's legitimately frightening sometimes.

http://www.slashfilm.com/category/features/slashfilmcast/

I was drawn to the podcast via their review of Get Out, which is just fantastic:

http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-407-get-out-guest-aisha-harris-from-slate/

Robyn

Quote from: Reelist on December 01, 2014, 05:05:31 PM
Wham Bam Pow - This is a scifi/action movie based show where the hosts attempt to do a straightforward review, but silliness ensues since they're all comics. I wasn't sure how I felt about Cameron Esposito as a personality at first but her views on movies in this podcast have made me respect her a lot more as a likeminded individual. I think I agreed with pretty much everything she didn't like about 'Interstellar'.

Tried this episode and enjoyed it, before realizing they haven't made a new episode in years :(

First time Podcast listener here basically, have enjoyed Filmcast the most so far. Their review of The Nest and Tenet was pretty nice. Love the guy who does limericks whatever his name is?

Filmspotting has been a nice alternative for discussions on smaller stuff.

Any recommendations?

Edit: Missed the first post on Filmspotting. Only listened to a couple of episode, but I thought it was entertaining.

WorldForgot

Pure Cinema Pod is the one I could certainly recommend. Don't listen to many podcasts myself, just this, My Favorite Murder, and You Must Remember This which iz a film history pod.

Robyn

Cool!

I'll do Pure Cinema Pod on the bus ride to work later.

wilberfan

A timely thread, as I've been wanting to share The Plot Thickens.  Season One was about Peter Bogdanovich's life and career, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Season Two is about the making of THE BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES (which I'd never seen, and just watched last night because of this 'cast.  Hoo, boy...  :doh: )

I heartily second the recommendation for YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS, as well. 

wilder

I second the two WorldForgot linked and want to add the Cult Movies Podcast, especially the first episode about Francis Ford Coppola's The Rain People co-hosted by Bill Ackerman of Supporting Characters.

Robyn

Not done with it yet, but sa far I thoroughly enjoy Pure Cinema Pod's episode on PTA. Really fun concept with the added double feature recommendations. Might do some of them in wait for Soggy Bottom and the end of the world

Sydney with The Music of Chance or Heat (1986)

Boogie Nights with Blue Movies