Harvey Keitel?

Started by prophet, July 20, 2003, 10:36:31 PM

prophet

What do you guys think of Harvey Keitel? Whats his best movie?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Cecil

so many great performances.

piano
bad lieutenant
his films with scorsese

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedbad lieutenant

:yabbse-thumbup:  Such a bold role. Can't think of anyone else doing it.

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedhis films with scorsese

For me, specifically "Who's That Knocking..." and "Mean Streets".

Also:
"Thelma And Louise"
"The Duellists" (was just watching it the other day)
He was the best part of the piece of crap remake of "La Femme Nikita" - "Point Of No Return"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

prophet

What do you think of "The Grey Zone"?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

TheVoiceOfNick

Harvey is the man... he is such a good actor. I can't think of anything i've seen him in that sucked.

Nick

Pwaybloe

Uh... he ain't that great.  

"Jersey" Judas was the best in TLTOC.

Alethia

personally i think his best film was red dragon.

hehehe, just kiddin.  my favorite keitel performance is either mean streets or the piano (i'm leanin more towards the piano to be honest).  brilliant actor.  brilliant brilliant brilliant.  

grey zone was a terrific film and i highly recommend it to anyone.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pawbloe"Jersey" Judas was the best in TLTOC.

Agreed.

"Rabbi, today you said 'when someone hits you, turn the other cheek'. I didn't like that."

So good.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jokerspath

Does anyone else cringe when he speaks in The Last Temptation Of Christ?  I can't stand a fucking New York accent in the middle of a Christ biopic.  Seemed a little lazy...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

ElPandaRoyal

Well, certainly his performance in "the last tempation..." wasn't his best ever, but for what he's done in such films as "Reservoir Dogs", "The Piano", "Mean Streets" and lots of others, he can be forgiven for that one. at least I forgive him. Does anyone second it? lol
Si

jokerspath

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumWell, certainly his performance in "the last tempation..." wasn't his best ever, but for what he's done in such films as "Reservoir Dogs", "The Piano", "Mean Streets" and lots of others, he can be forgiven for that one. at least I forgive him. Does anyone second it? lol

I totally agree with you.  The three other films contained great stuff, I just didn't like his accent in LTOC...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

cowboykurtis

Quote from: jokerspathDoes anyone else cringe when he speaks in The Last Temptation Of Christ?  I can't stand a fucking New York accent in the middle of a Christ biopic.  Seemed a little lazy...

aw

amen -- its bloody horrible -- but i still love seeing harvey jack off in " teh bad louie" -- the look on those innocent girls faces is so heartfelt.
...your excuses are your own...

Pwaybloe

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumWell, certainly his performance in "the last tempation..." wasn't his best ever, but for what he's done in such films as "Reservoir Dogs", "The Piano", "Mean Streets" and lots of others, he can be forgiven for that one. at least I forgive him. Does anyone second it? lol

I wish I could say the same.  He's been pigeonholed a lot like DeNiro, so it's not really his fault.  But, I think DeNiro's rotating characters are believable.  Keitel's characters all seem the same to me.

Quote from: jokerspathDoes anyone else cringe when he speaks in The Last Temptation Of Christ? I can't stand a fucking New York accent in the middle of a Christ biopic. Seemed a little lazy...

aw

No doubt.  TLTOC was such an interesting movie, and Keitel just ruined it for me.  If you take out Keitel, TLTOC was fantastic.  By far the most realistic period piece of Bible times.  The scene and conversation with Bowie's Pontius Pilate and Christ is the reason I go to movies.

SoNowThen

Quote from: jokerspath

I totally agree with you.  The three other films contained great stuff, I just didn't like his accent in LTOC...

aw

All the apostles pretty much had NY accents. That was a choice by Marty. He figured if they're not going to do it in the actual tongue, then he could try a different angle. So fishermen back then he tries to equate to NY dockworkers.

I dunno. I loved Keitel in that. But I like him in anything.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jokerspath

Quote from: SoNowThenAll the apostles pretty much had NY accents. That was a choice by Marty. He figured if they're not going to do it in the actual tongue, then he could try a different angle. So fishermen back then he tries to equate to NY dockworkers.

Neat idea, but kind of lost in the translation.  It took away from the film in my opinion...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT